Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Man runs into my store and arms himself

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    The other night I was at work stocking the walk-in refrigerator beverages. I was carrying empty boxes out when I noticed the panicked look on my coworkers face at the register. I stooped below the isle and scanned the store. There along the back wall was a shirtless man in his late 40's or early 50's. He was grasping two large liquor bottles in an offensive ready-to-fight stance. I was surprised at how I responded to the situation. We always wonder how we will react when faced with a situation. I wasn't panicked. I just scanned over the suspect and identified the weapons he was carrying. I viewed the bottles as deadly weapons. Too many times as a bouncer I've seen bottles broke and turn into sharp deadly weapons. I pulled my shirt up and tucked it in so I would have quick access to my pistol if needed to defend myself.

    I grabbed the phone and called police. Then we proceeded to talk the old man down. He put the bottles down and ran out of the store. Police picked him up two blocks down the road.

    The whole time I was assessing everything and the Tueller drill was running through my mind. Over and over I was processing and ready to draw if he charged at me. Thankfully the situation ended safely.

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    I'm glad nobody was hurt. What did the guy get charged for? I'm assuming he was asked to leave and refused?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486

    Post imported post

    Great job!

    Did the perp see your gun?

    I am interested in your response to BigToe's question.

    markm

  4. #4
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    Brandishing a liquor bottle....under the influence of some chemical......
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    At one point the perp did see my gun. I didn't put my hand on it my shirt was just no longer covering my holster. (We cover it while inside the store because some people don't want to see it. Boss's wishes)

    Yes we asked him several times to put our liquor down and leave. He was refusing. Once he saw my gun his attitude changed a bit. Finally he put the bottles down and I grabbed them away quickly.

    He ran out the door mumbling something un-intelligible. The officer showed up about 30 seconds after the guy walked out.

    I do not know what he was charged for. Possible drunk in public. We did not press any charges for followup with the officers. Although a customer came in and told us there was a crazy man in front of her house and the cops got him. haha.



  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486

    Post imported post

    SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    At one point the perp did see my gun. I didn't put my hand on it my shirt was just no longer covering my holster. (We cover it while inside the store because some people don't want to see it. Boss's wishes)

    Yes we asked him several times to put our liquor down and leave. He was refusing. Once he saw my gun his attitude changed a bit. Finally he put the bottles down and I grabbed them away quickly.

    He ran out the door mumbling something un-intelligible. The officer showed up about 30 seconds after the guy walked out.

    I do not know what he was charged for. Possible drunk in public. We did not press any charges for followup with the officers. Although a customer came in and told us there was a crazy man in front of her house and the cops got him. haha.

    Hey all,

    Is it possible that the mere presence of a holstered gun may have ended a violent confrontation?

    We will never know for sure, but I believe a reasonable person would conclude "probably did."

    markm

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
    Hey all,

    Is it possible that the mere presence of a holstered gun may have ended a violent confrontation?

    We will never know for sure, but I believe a reasonable person would conclude "probably did."

    markm
    I would say yes to this. when watching the video there was a very clear change in his demeanor when he observed my holstered firearm. He immediately changed his stance and took a step back further. It wasn't long after that that he put the bottles down and ran out. I think he decided that the fight he picked wasn't worth the risks (to himself) he now realized were present.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Englewood, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    654

    Post imported post

    Anyway to get a copy of the video to post... that would be interesting to watch.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    I wouldn't be posting about concealing weapons at work, no matter if your boss said so. I assume your boss has a controlling interest in the company, which means he can conceal at will in the confines of the business. Employees may carry a visible gun or they may HAVE a concealed gun. Have does not equal carry, that is the issue. Unless you somehow made your workplace pseudo-private property or became 50% owner, you can't carry concealed.

    As usual, the law is stupid and asinine. However, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Jose, California, USA
    Posts
    92

    Post imported post

    I must agree with PnS...the laws the law...leaving this sort of information to the public that you are concealling may wind up biting you in the butt one day. LEO's are on here and just my opinion it's a great story and yes most likely OC'ing saved the day; however, it may make you a target.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    Man runs into my store and arms himself
    Every time I go into a store from now on and pick up a bottle I will be thinging about "Am I arming myself". A title like this is just as much BS as anything the Brady Bunch can come up with. I have no problem with the way you reacted other than getting on the Internet trying to make some great big deal about some person grabbing up two liquor bottles. Ban liquor bottles or at least have them registered and a background check to be able to even pick one up. Isn't this the theme of the thread about banning propane tanks in another thread around here.

  12. #12
    Regular Member OPS MARINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    Good job and I'm glad no one got hurt.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote:
    Man runs into my store and arms himself
    Every time I go into a store from now on and pick up a bottle I will be thinging about "Am I arming myself". A title like this is just as much BS as anything the Brady Bunch can come up with. I have no problem with the way you reacted other than getting on the Internet trying to make some great big deal about some person grabbing up two liquor bottles. Ban liquor bottles or at least have them registered and a background check to be able to even pick one up. Isn't this the theme of the thread about banning propane tanks in another thread around here.
    The whole point was he came in there ready to start fighting and he grabbed something for weapons that be be potentially deadly. Open carry diffused the situation to an extent.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    130

    Post imported post

    pullnshoot25 wrote:
    I wouldn't be posting about concealing weapons at work, no matter if your boss said so. I assume your boss has a controlling interest in the company, which means he can conceal at will in the confines of the business. Employees may carry a visible gun or they may HAVE a concealed gun. Have does not equal carry, that is the issue. Unless you somehow made your workplace pseudo-private property or became 50% owner, you can't carry concealed.

    As usual, the law is stupid and asinine. However, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Is there some specific law that your citing here? If I own a piece of property and you come visit me You can put a gun anywhere you want as far as I'm concerned because it's my choice on my property. Of course I am no expert in RPK law, that just here in Oregon. I really feel for you guys down there, Up here our gun laws are very lax.

    BTW I really enjoyed your vids on youtube as I travel in RPK sometimes.

    On a side note is there even such a thing as a CHL in RPK and do they have any reciprocity laws? Oregon has no reciprocity laws, I guess we think we are better than everyone else. I'm in the process of getting my Utah CHL in addition to my Oregon CHL So I can carry in most states.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486

    Post imported post

    TheHossUSMC wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:
    I wouldn't be posting about concealing weapons at work, no matter if your boss said so. I assume your boss has a controlling interest in the company, which means he can conceal at will in the confines of the business. Employees may carry a visible gun or they may HAVE a concealed gun. Have does not equal carry, that is the issue. Unless you somehow made your workplace pseudo-private property or became 50% owner, you can't carry concealed.

    As usual, the law is stupid and asinine. However, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Is there some specific law that your citing here? If I own a piece of property and you come visit me You can put a gun anywhere you want as far as I'm concerned because it's my choice on my property. Of course I am no expert in RPK law, that just here in Oregon. I really feel for you guys down there, Up here our gun laws are very lax.

    BTW I really enjoyed your vids on youtube as I travel in RPK sometimes.

    On a side note is there even such a thing as a CHL in RPK and do they have any reciprocity laws? Oregon has no reciprocity laws, I guess we think we are better than everyone else. I'm in the process of getting my Utah CHL in addition to my Oregon CHL So I can carry in most states.

    You wrote:

    "Is there some specific law that your citing here?"

    Here is a good URL: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...oncealed_Carry

    SomeGuyInCali may want to read this if he has not already. I assume that he was behind the counter in a non-public place.

    It is interesting reading.

    Oh, and by the way, we live in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia -- of, by, and for the public sector union employees. Citizens existto pay confiscatory taxes to support a machine that re-elects itself to give itself more of its money (it is really our money, but they hold the badges and take what they want).

    markm


  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakland, CA., ,
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    PT111 wrote:
    Man runs into my store and arms himself
    Every time I go into a store from now on and pick up a bottle I will be thinging about "Am I arming myself". A title like this is just as much BS as anything the Brady Bunch can come up with. I have no problem with the way you reacted other than getting on the Internet trying to make some great big deal about some person grabbing up two liquor bottles. Ban liquor bottles or at least have them registered and a background check to be able to even pick one up. Isn't this the theme of the thread about banning propane tanks in another thread around here.
    The whole point was he came in there ready to start fighting and he grabbed something for weapons that be be potentially deadly. Open carry diffused the situation to an extent.
    I think you may need to examine what "armed" means in a common sense way. You really feel a drunk old man "armed" himself? You commend yourself for not panicking when he grabbed two bottles? Old men with bottles must be a real scary sight in Modesto.

    Here in Oakland, I wish all they had were bottles. Really man, I think you got excitded over nothing. I would hope you guyscould handle one old drunk man with two bottles.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Modesto, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    Joe Bullet wrote:
    I think you may need to examine what "armed" means in a common sense way. You really feel a drunk old man "armed" himself? You commend yourself for not panicking when he grabbed two bottles? Old men with bottles must be a real scary sight in Modesto.

    Here in Oakland, I wish all they had were bottles. Really man, I think you got excitded over nothing. I would hope you guyscould handle one old drunk man with two bottles.
    After witnessing someone get stabbed with the broken end of a bottle by a person very similar to the one that came into the store I was taking NO CHANCES. As far as I'm concerned a bottle is just as dangerous as a knife. Especially within 21 feet.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486

    Post imported post

    SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    Joe Bullet wrote:
    I think you may need to examine what "armed" means in a common sense way. You really feel a drunk old man "armed" himself? You commend yourself for not panicking when he grabbed two bottles? Old men with bottles must be a real scary sight in Modesto.

    Here in Oakland, I wish all they had were bottles. Really man, I think you got excitded over nothing. I would hope you guyscould handle one old drunk man with two bottles.
    After witnessing someone get stabbed with the broken end of a bottle by a person very similar to the one that came into the store I was taking NO CHANCES. As far as I'm concerned a bottle is just as dangerous as a knife. Especially within 21 feet.
    Hey SomeguyinCali,

    I agree with your opinion. These people probably have never been in a situation where somebody was not "boxing" with them. Combat does not require specialized training or weapons if you are the aggressor. I grew-up with some cop friends and SEAL acquaintances. They said that all the training in the world may nothelp you if the other guy is amped-up on adrenaline or drugs and does not want to die. The SEALS taught me to take no chances, protect myself by fleeing if possible, and if need be, kill as quickly and violently as you can. As my Dad would say: Teeth, fur, and eyeballs! The cops taught me about the psychology of a confrontation.

    Be prepared for the worst! Getting your weapon ready, maintaining a defensible zone, and preparing yourself for mortal combat was prudent. You also protected yourself by having your coworker call police.

    The mere presence of your weaponalong with your defensive demeanor may have averted a physical confrontation. We will never know.

    markm


  19. #19
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    After witnessing someone get stabbed with the broken end of a bottle by a person very similar to the one that came into the store I was taking NO CHANCES. As far as I'm concerned a bottle is just as dangerous as a knife. Especially within 21 feet.
    Bottles are also very dangerous bludgeoning weapons. Even a standard beer bottle can easily cause a concussion even without breaking. And if it does break it will likely also cause lacerations.

    So, imagine you're knocked on the head, blood and booze in your eyes (assuming your eyes didn't get cut up in the initial blow... and now your assailant has a stabbing weapon in hand...

    I bet it's a pain in the ass getting all the brittle little bits of glass out of your guts (if you survive long enough to need a surgeon).
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oakland & Modesto, CA, ,
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    I'm from East Oakland and now live in Modesto for the time being. It's better to stand fast than to let someone runover your A??. I wouldn't want anyone with 2 bottles that couldbe used as deadly weapons approach me as well. Who knows how it would have come out, so the comment about Oakland vs. Modesto in my opinion doesn't deserve to referenced in this form. Crimes happen everywhere and if happens to you, then you need to be prepared. Carry On!











Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •