• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Really bad LEO encounter!

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

Okay guys, I just had a bad effing leo encounter.
Not half an hour ago, I was walking to the store to get some dip and a coke. My pistol was holstered on my side, like usual. A local cop passes by me, then turns around in the parking lot of the store. By now I'm thinking "here we go".
He stops right in front of me and tell me to keep my hands where he can see them, and not to move. I comply. He gets out of the car, hand on his gun, and proceeds to call for backup.
Four more cars come around the corner, including the effing CHIEF OF POLICE! The chief proceeds to disarm me, and frisk me. I've told them all multiple times by then that I am completely within the law by doing what I was. The officer who stopped me then proceeded to tell me that if I had gone into the store and he had gotten a MWAG call; he would have arrested me for illegal possession of a weapon. He claims that it is illegal to have a firearm in a grocery store. Because they sell booze. I corrected him on this, as it is only illegal to OC somewhere that alcohol is sold for consumption. He said that I was wrong. By this time two sheriff's deputies show up, adding to my confusion.
I mean, I was just going to the store, walking along, minding my own business, and BAM! Cops everywhere!
They told me that if they ever saw me carrying a firearm in my town again, I'll be arrested for disturbing the peace. I was then driven home and given a lecture.
The officer who drove me home gave a lecture too,
He said "Your name is on the lips of every officer in the parish right now, and you're pretty much blackballed from getting a job in law enforcement in this town for a long time." (This is not an exact quote, as I'm really freaked right now, but it's as close to what he said as I can remember.)

Damn guys, my heart is pounding so hard right now.
I apologize for my horrible grammar, but I'm really freaked right now. I did get to keep my gun though.

All in all, I was detained for 45 minutes today for not breaking a single law. What the hell?
Now I know how MEM feels.

estcrh

imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
Okay guys, I just had a bad effing leo encounter.
Not half an hour ago, I was walking to the store to get some dip and a coke. My pistol was holstered on my side, like usual. A local cop passes by me, then turns around in the parking lot of the store. By now I'm thinking "here we go".
He stops right in front of me and tell me to keep my hands where he can see them, and not to move. I comply. He gets out of the car, hand on his gun, and proceeds to call for backup.
Four more cars come around the corner, including the effing CHIEF OF POLICE! The chief proceeds to disarm me, and frisk me. I've told them all multiple times by then that I am completely within the law by doing what I was. The officer who stopped me then proceeded to tell me that if I had gone into the store and he had gotten a MWAG call; he would have arrested me for illegal possession of a weapon. He claims that it is illegal to have a firearm in a grocery store. Because they sell booze. I corrected him on this, as it is only illegal to OC somewhere that alcohol is sold for consumption. He said that I was wrong. By this time two sheriff's deputies show up, adding to my confusion.
I mean, I was just going to the store, walking along, minding my own business, and BAM! Cops everywhere!
They told me that if they ever saw me carrying a firearm in my town again, I'll be arrested for disturbing the peace. I was then driven home and given a lecture.
The officer who drove me home gave a lecture too,
He said "Your name is on the lips of every officer in the parish right now, and you're pretty much blackballed from getting a job in law enforcement in this town for a long time." (This is not an exact quote, as I'm really freaked right now, but it's as close to what he said as I can remember.)

Damn guys, my heart is pounding so hard right now.
I apologize for my horrible grammar, but I'm really freaked right now. I did get to keep my gun though.

All in all, I was detained for 45 minutes today for not breaking a single law. What the hell?
Now I know how MEM feels.
You need to go to your local police dept and talk to to commander, also the D.A.s office if you have one were you live, do you have the email of your local police so we can send an email in your support? ANYONE who talks about RIGHTS does not know what they are talking about until they have experienced something like this encounter!

georg jetson

imported post

While things are fresh in your mind, write down as detailed a description as possible. Take your time and make sure to be as detailed as possible. You will want to report this to internal affairs. Since the COP was involved, you may want to make the complaint with the Sheriff's office. They are attempting to bully you because you are young.

sraacke

imported post

The officers were out of line and the Chief himself being there pretty much says he condones it.There are 2 possibilities.

Either

A-The entire PD including the chief is ill trained and unaware of the law

or

B-They know but don't care and are making things up as they go.

You weren't arrested or charged with a crime. You have a choice. You can be intimidated into not carrying and give up your right to defend yourself or you can continue as you always do and insist the next time you are approached to be left alone and go about your business. If anything they said was true they could have arrested you. As it was you allowed them to detain you and disarm you and even drive you home. They won this time. I know you are upset but you have to look at them like any other bully and refuse to play thier game.

georg jetson

imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
Thanks guys, really. Thank you.
Can somebody please post the laws and such that I will need when I write the letter to Internal Affairs, and to the DA.
You don't need any "laws" to go to IA. Your #1 priority is to document what happened asap. One step at a time.

sraacke

imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
I don;t know if I am right, but I believe that there is an official document from either SCOTUS or the LA AG that states that open carrying a properly holstered firearm cannot be seen as disturbing the peace?
Yes, it's at the link I gave you. Slow down, catch your breath. You are understandably upset. As others have advised, get everything you can remember written down. Now is not the time to let your emotions get in your way of doing things right to make it easier of you later.

MK

imported post

I wouldn't hold my breath in hoping that Internal Affairs or the DA will do anything to support you. I am sure its one big backyard BBQ between all these people. However, you still need to start the paper trail of complaints since they did threaten to harrass you further should you choose to exercise your rights once again. It may be wise to notify them of the laws and make sure they or the DA acknowledges you didn't break any laws. This could help later should they continue and harrass you further.

Once the complaints are in, I personally would test them and make sure I got it all recorded on video and audio and even have someone place an anonymous MWAG call from a pay phone. And if they do it again,I would use the evidence in a civil lawsuit. That's me though and I understand if others wish to pursue their own particular agenda involving their own goals. I just think this sort of stuff completely stinks and even if it means I'd have to set them up for a fall, if they are stupid enough to take the bait then they can deal with the consequences. Its not like police wouldn't set you up if you were a drug dealer, prostitute or doing something illegal that they could capture on film and hold against you.

55bowtie

imported post

Isn't it fun to open carry in LOUISIANA. All i can say is how lucky you are that you didn't touch that pistol when they told you to put your hands up.You would be dead in the parking lot.Every one of them cops would have shot at you.All it takes is 1 phone call THERES A GUY WITH A GUN IN THE PARKIN LOT. Your DISTURBING THE PEACE.Pull it out of the holster and your BRANDISHING A FIREARM IN CITY LIMITS.Good luck on fighting this in court.Im glad your still alive.

Nikki_Black

imported post

55bowtie wrote:
Isn't it fun to open carry in LOUISIANA. All i can say is how lucky you are that you didn't touch that pistol when they told you to put your hands up.You would be dead in the parking lot.Every one of them cops would have shot at you.All it takes is 1 phone call THERES A GUY WITH A GUN IN THE PARKIN LOT. Your DISTURBING THE PEACE.Pull it out of the holster and your BRANDISHING A FIREARM IN CITY LIMITS.Good luck on fighting this in court.Im glad your still alive.
Screw you troll. You don't belong here.
And you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
Never in my post did I say I drew my weapon from my holster.

55bowtie

imported post

I DIDN'T SAY YOU DREW IT .I SAID ITS A GOOD THING YOU DIDN'T TOUCH YOUR PISTOL.YOU CAME CLOSE TO GETTIN SHOT AT WEATHER YOU WANT TO BELIEVE IT OR NOT..IN SHREVEPORT YOU GET SHOT FOR POINTING A CELLPHONE.HE WAS OPEN CARRYING A CELLPHONE.BOOM NOW HES DEAD

Nikki_Black

imported post

55bowtie wrote:
I DIDN'T SAY YOU DREW IT .I SAID ITS A GOOD THING YOU DIDN'T TOUCH YOUR PISTOL.YOU CAME CLOSE TO GETTIN SHOT AT WEATHER YOU WANT TO BELIEVE IT OR NOT..IN  SHREVEPORTB YOU GET SHOT FOR POINTING A CELLPHONE.HE WAS OPEN CARRYING A CELLPHONE. 
And I said go away. You aren't welcome here.

Nikki_Black

imported post

You need to go to your local police dept and talk to to commander, also the D.A.s office if you have one were you live, do you have the email of your local police so we can send an email in your support? ANYONE who talks about RIGHTS does not know what they are talking about until they have experienced something like this encounter!

Saint Francisville Chief of Police Scott Ford : sfpdchief@bellsouth.net

Nikki_Black

imported post

55bowtie wrote:
GROW SOME BALLS AND OPEN CARRY IN THE BIG CITY GO TO BATON ROUGE OR SHREVEPORT.OR NEW ORLEANS.
I have Open Carried in Baton Rouge.
Many times. And you are breaking the rules, even if you aren't a troll. It's against the rules to type in all caps.
That is a bannable offense around here.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:

Saint Francisville Chief of Police Scott Ford : sfpdchief@bellsouth.net

How old are you?

DO you have a "young" look?

Not that it makes it right, just curious.

Slidell Jim

imported post

yale wrote:
..... If anything they said was true they could have arrested you.
If anything they said was true they WOULD have arrested you. Police aren't paid for what they could do, they are paid to get criminals off the street. The fact that you are still "on the loose" is testament that you did nothing illegal. Don't play their games, and don't be bullied & intimidated into giving up your rights.

I agree that:
1. they don't know the law (less likely, since you weren't falsely arrested)
or
2. they don't care about the law, and rule on high from a position of opinion (this is more likely)

All in all, sounds like you got a free ride home from the store (and an earful of opinions), too bad you didn't get your coke and chips first, because now you just have to walk back up there. Everything you did was completely legal and correct and you should have no fear of doing the correct thing again. I might have thanked the officers for their concern (and their opinions), declined the ride home (unless they waited for me to get back from inside), and proceeded into the store for my snack.