• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first shoulder holster

rottman43055

imported post

Ok, here's the deal, have been needing a way to carry besides just on my hip for a while and thought a shoulder holster might be the way to go, so I picked one up today and after about 30 minutes of messing with it had to take a break from being so frustrated. I have never wore one of these before and now that I have it, I have some concerns.

First I thought I would be able to wear it loose, but after googleing "shoulder holster fit" I guess it is supposed to be just a bit snug under the arms and also hold the gun rather high, very close to the arm pit according to this galco holster fit page, mine is not a Galco, just a cheapie. http://www.ccwsupply.biz/CCWInfoFitting ... olster.pdf

I didn't think when I bought it, it would have to be slightly "snug". ( Detective Munch always has his fun hanging almost at belt level lol)

Second, I do not wear a sport jacket so I will be OCing when useing my new shoulder holster, but now I am concerned people standing behing me will not like seeing the business end of a gun barrel sticking out from my arm pit aiming at them. Something I didn't even consider standing in the surplus store today.

I guess I am wondering has anyone else here gone thru this type of aggravation when they first got one until the got the kinks worked out? It could just be it's so new to me I am finding it annoying because I am not used to it.

jayspapa

imported post

Back in the mid 70's , I had a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster. It was a vertical holster though. I carried a Ruger Security-Six with it. I do remember that it made my shoulder sore till I got used to it .

Just my opinion , but I myself wouldn't want to use a horizontal shoulder rig to open carry with . I know how I would feel if I were to end up standing behind someone who was wearing one and I had a muzzle pointed at me. AlsoI just don't like the idea of haveing the muzzle of my gun pointed at others .

rottman43055

imported post

Yep, I bought it out of frustration, I am nursing a back injury and regular carry hurts right now so I was looking for an alternative.

I WILL NOT be OCing with it, because I definately wouldn't like seeing that either & I'll not do it to others.

Mo

Banned
imported post

jayspapa wrote:
Just my opinion , but I myself wouldn't want to use a horizontal shoulder rig to open carry with . I know how I would feel if I were to end up standing behind someone who was wearing one and I had a muzzle pointed at me. AlsoI just don't like the idea of haveing the muzzle of my gun pointed at others .
I don't have a shoulder rig, but I would think that as long as the holster completely covered the front muzzle of the gun, that it would not be an issue.

brokenbarrel

imported post

Mo wrote:
jayspapa wrote:
I don't have a shoulder rig, but I would think that as long as the holster completely covered the front muzzle of the gun, that it would not be an issue.
you must carry very weak ammo if your holster will stop the round from hittin the person behind you,lol...no but honestly covered muzzle or not dont want it pointed at no one.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a Triple K shoulder holster for a 1911.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...160301&cm_ite=0012761210431a&_requestid=62319

It was cheaper than the Galcos, $60 compared to $120-$150. The quality is comparable, though the TK holster has not been bone molded to the gun. However, it holds the piece well in condition 1. The two mag pouches really help to balance the load. I think it's much more comfortable than even an OWB holster, BUT, it is a horizontal holster, so I do not OC with it. I have no fear of the gun 'just going off,' but I definitely would not blame anybody for not wanting a 1911 pointed at their chest or at their kid's head.
The holster is most handy for long car trips or when stream fishing with waders.

Hendu024

imported post

My old man just bought me a Galco shoulder holster for an early birthday present yesterday. I am still working on adjusting it to where I want it. Some people like it snug under the armpit and some people like to carry it low. I think I will settle for somewhere in the middle.

I used to have a cheapie shoulder rig and I hated it. It was really uncomfortable to wear and I realized that for a shoulder holster, you've gotta have a good quality one in order to like it. That being said, I agree, I wouldn't like to see the muzzle of someone's pistol pointing at me either. The trigger guard is completely enclosed in the holster, so the gun isn't going to magically go off, but I haven't decided if I will OC it. Probably not.

Mo

Banned
imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
Mo wrote:
jayspapa wrote:
you must carry very weak ammo if your holster will stop the round from hittin the person behind you,lol...no but honestly covered muzzle or not dont want it pointed at no one.

lol. I was thinking about the reaction of someone standing behind you if it were a holster with an open end and you could see right down the barrel.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

With the horizontal carry shoulder holsters and OCing I have to agree with the psychological dilemma of being behind someone and staring at their muzzle pointing at you.

When I was in Iraq a lot of the pilots had cheap horizontal rigs issued for their M9's and it always kinda freaked me out when I stood behind them.

Obviously we all know Glocks, M9's and other weapons that are either striker fired or DA with a firing pin block don't magically shoot themselves, and they carried condition 4 (unloaded no magazine) when in garrison. So from a logical stand point, these rigs when used with a DAO weapon or a DA/SA with a firing pin block are totally safe and not dangerous in any way and we have no logical reason to be afraid of them.

But its obvious that for shooters the safety rule of muzzle pointing being pounded into their head makes them hesitant with this design.

And for novices or non-shooters, not knowing anything makes these rigs probably pretty freaky for them.

With this in mind I wouldn't wear a horizontal rig Openly (but a 45 degree angle one where the muzzle points down I think would be fine, maybe). For concealing while driving or with a suit or jacket or something these should be fine, but If I loved shoulder holsters and wanted to OC with one, I would pick the Vertical rig and wear it lowish. or just use cross draw on the belt if I liked the cross draw or what not.