Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Woman stabs 4 in Southern Calif. Target store

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ontario, California, USA
    Posts
    67

    Post imported post

    WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – A woman who stabbed and wounded four people in a busy Target store Monday afternoon was arrested when an off-duty sheriff's deputy pulled his gun and ordered the woman to the ground as screaming shoppers ran from the building, authorities said.

    Layla Trawick used a butcher's knife and a carving knife to attack the victims, using both blades at the same time — one in each hand, like in the movie "Psycho," sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said

    "She was literally walking up and down the aisles slashing people," he said.

    A mother holding her baby was stabbed in the neck and was taken to the hospital, where she was in stable condition, Whitmore said. The baby was unhurt and all four victims were expected to survive.

    One witness said she was shopping for a Mother's Day card when she heard someone screaming, "There is no witness protection program!" as chaos broke out in the store.

    "I don't know what it means but she was yelling that repeatedly and at the top of her lungs," said Katy Winn, a freelance photographer from West Hollywood. "I think I heard (the deputy) telling her to drop to the floor. That's when things got really chaotic and started falling over."

    Winn said she dropped her basket and dashed across the store to the women's section, where she hid behind the clothing racks.

    "From the moment the screaming started it was about five minutes. But it felt longer than that," she said.

    Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Clay Grant Jr., said he was picking up paper towels and other items when people around him started running and screaming.

    Grant, 26, grabbed his duty weapon, identified himself as a sheriff's deputy and ordered the woman to drop the knives, he said. She ran away and he followed her from aisle to aisle.

    Grant was wearing a white T-shirt, camouflage shorts and running shoes so several shoppers mistook him for a gunman, adding to the sense of panic, sheriff's Sgt. Josh Mankini said.

    Grant followed Trawick from aisle to aisle, until she turned and waved the knives at him from above her head, he said.

    But he decided not to shoot because he didn't feel his life was in jeopardy, he said. For a second time, he ordered her to drop the knives and finally she complied.

    "I was more concerned about the knife, more than what she was saying," Grant said. "Her facial expression was someone who was lost, confused, didn't know exactly where they were."

    Trawick was arrested with the help of private security guards and held on $1 million bail on suspicion of attempted murder. Investigators were trying to determine whether the 34-year-old Antioch woman got the knives in the store.

    Speaking to reporters at a sheriff's station later, Grant was modest.

    "I don't feel like I'm a hero, I just do what I'm trained to do," he said.

    Whitmore said surveillance video cameras captured the stabbings, but the tape hasn't been released.
    "If he wasn't there, who knows? Someone would be dead right now," Mankini said. "He had no communication with outside law enforcement. He's just some guy doing his shopping. We're pretty proud of him."
    Mankini said Grant, a five-year veteran of the department, was authorized to have a weapon in the store.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Antioch, California, USA
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    Here is the info. posted on a TV website from the AP. The Bold text is what made me laugh.

    WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA (AP) -- A woman has been arrested after allegedly stabbing and wounding at least four people in a Target store in West Hollywood.

    Los Angeles County fire Inspector Fredrick Stowers said at least one of the victims was in critical condition but he didn't know the conditions of the others.

    The sheriff's office said Layla Trawick, 35,started stabbing people, apparently at random, on Monday afternoon.

    Sheriff's Sgt. Josh Mankini said an off-duty deputy who was shopping pulled out his gun and ordered the woman to the ground.

    Mankini said customers fled the crowded store in fear after seeing the gun, not realizing the armed man was a deputy.

    Trawick was arrested with the help of private security guards.

    Mankini said the woman stabbed three women and a man with a large blade about the size of a kitchen knife.

  3. #3
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    halo6941 wrote:
    Grant was wearing a white T-shirt, camouflage shorts and running shoes so several shoppers mistook him for a gunman
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. How exactly does that add up? It must be the camouflage shorts that the author is singling out, right? Because madman wear camo to target to blend in.

    Kudos to the officer though. This is a situation where even a UOCer would have had plenty of time to load his/her weapon and bring the situation to a peaceful close.

    Saldana is surely upset that a police officer was there to stop this woman from enacting several murders. I'm sure she's drafting legislation this very instant to prevent crazed off-duty police officers from endangering poor Target shoppers with their concealed arsenal.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Antioch, California, USA
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    bigtoe416 wrote:
    halo6941 wrote:
    Grant was wearing a white T-shirt, camouflage shorts and running shoes so several shoppers mistook him for a gunman
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. How exactly does that add up? It must be the camouflage shorts that the author is singling out, right? Because madman wear camo to target to blend in.

    Kudos to the officer though. This is a situation where even a UOCer would have had plenty of time to load his/her weapon and bring the situation to a peaceful close.

    Saldana is surely upset that a police officer was there to stop this woman from enacting several murders. I'm sure she's drafting legislation this very instant to prevent crazed off-duty police officers from endangering poor Target shoppers with their concealed arsenal.
    My thoughts exactly. What reasonable citizen would have been able to determine that has wasn't a threat? He was just a man, who knows what race, wearing military camo, running around the store with a gun yelling at a lady. What other conclusion is a reasonable citizen suppose to come to if not that this man is the gunman involved in the stabbing of 4 innocent victims.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Livermore, California, USA
    Posts
    229

    Post imported post

    The female perp was from Antioch... Keep a sharp eye out at the next A Street Starbucks meetup. Some crazy lady may have her Mocha-chino order screwed up and lose her marbles and start assaulting innocent folks with a coffee press! ;-)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Antioch, California, USA
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    Livermoron wrote:
    The female perp was from Antioch... Keep a sharp eye out at the next A Street Starbucks meetup. Some crazy lady may have her Mocha-chino order screwed up and lose her marbles and start assaulting innocent folks with a coffee press! ;-)
    More reason to UOC in Antioch.

  7. #7
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    Ca Patriot wrote:
    I dont blame the bystanders in thinking the cop was the perp. In LA the only people with guns in publicare police and criminals.
    +1. The socialists have succeeded in disarming us. How many (gulp) men ran from that scene instead of defending young mothers with babies?! How many men and women were there that wanted to and could've helped if only they had a means of doing so?
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  8. #8
    Regular Member We-the-People's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    White City, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,234

    Post imported post

    Yup, yet another instance where law abiding carry could have prevented at least some damage. What if that offier had not been there? Or if it were in a jurisdiction where officers aren't allowed to carry off duty (there are such places in the U.S.).

    When will the sheeple tire of being slaughtered by criminals when the Constitution says they need not be? When the Declaration of Independence says that we have INALIENABLE RIGHTS to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.....which is a hell of a lot easier when we are not turned into easy victims by those among us who prefer to put their heads in the sand and pretend that the boogie man won't bother us if we're just nice (and compliant)?
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Livermore, California, USA
    Posts
    229

    Post imported post

    +1 to we the people. Well said sir!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA, ,
    Posts
    105

    Post imported post

    jsebclark wrote:
    bigtoe416 wrote:
    halo6941 wrote:
    Grant was wearing a white T-shirt, camouflage shorts and running shoes so several shoppers mistook him for a gunman
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. How exactly does that add up? It must be the camouflage shorts that the author is singling out, right? Because madman wear camo to target to blend in.

    Kudos to the officer though. This is a situation where even a UOCer would have had plenty of time to load his/her weapon and bring the situation to a peaceful close.

    Saldana is surely upset that a police officer was there to stop this woman from enacting several murders. I'm sure she's drafting legislation this very instant to prevent crazed off-duty police officers from endangering poor Target shoppers with their concealed arsenal.
    My thoughts exactly. What reasonable citizen would have been able to determine that has wasn't a threat? He was just a man, who knows what race, wearing military camo, running around the store with a gun yelling at a lady. What other conclusion is a reasonable citizen suppose to come to if not that this man is the gunman involved in the stabbing of 4 innocent victims.
    can you imagine if there was in fact a person OCing in that store at that time and mistook the deputy for a "crazed man in camo" with a gun not to mention a woman running around with not one but two knives slashing people...wow, don't even wanna imagine. I know stupid thought, but hey, it could happen...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    Mankini said Grant, a five-year veteran of the department, was authorized to have a weapon in the store.
    Of course he was "authorized"! He's a cop! They can carry all over the place! Mankini couldn't stop him! DUH!!!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Red Bluff, California, USA
    Posts
    167

    Post imported post

    This is why we need to ban ALL knives.



    Knives kill people, lets get the evil knives off the streets and make them safer.




  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    camsoup wrote:
    This is why we need to ban ALL knives.



    Knives kill people, lets get the evil knives off the streets and make them safer.


    This is already happening in England.

    Seriously... Google "england knife ban" and read any of the top 5 results...
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Red Bluff, California, USA
    Posts
    167

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    camsoup wrote:
    This is why we need to ban ALL knives.



    Knives kill people, lets get the evil knives off the streets and make them safer.


    This is already happening in England.

    Seriously... Google "england knife ban" and read any of the top 5 results...
    Yes, and the ONLY reason it is happening, is because they let their gun rights slip away. We cant let that happen to us.

  15. #15
    Regular Member demnogis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    912

    Post imported post

    camsoup, they never had any gun rights. The English are all subjects to the crown. The English would have to change their system of government and put in place a new one that respects Natural Rights...

    camsoup wrote:
    Yes, and the ONLY reason it is happening, is because they let their gun rights slip away. We cant let that happen to us.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    542

    Post imported post

    TBH this has jack all to do with UOC.
    I mean, sure the folks that freaked and thought Mr. Off Duty was out to get them are ridiculous, but thats preaching to the choir on how public perception of firearms is off the wall.

    I think a thing we might need even more that UOC, LOC, CC is a citizenry that isn't composed of complete and total cowards.
    I'm not going to sit here and play armchair badass, but seriously, folks could take a lesson from these kids:
    http://www1.voanews.com/english/news...-66293842.html

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    529

    Post imported post

    Yeah and some day soon after all the UOC-ers are disarmed, who will still remain in Kalifornia, then they will start on the Off-Duty guys, who will only be able to "Carry on Duty". :X Just like England !

    Then all the people will be safe ! :shock: :what:

    If things don't work out in june, I might move to Arizona and live in a free state a while or even Nv.

    Not running from the fight, but Im getting older and are running out of time, just want to be free for a few years. Can't turn the time back, but can go to a better place. We will see !

    :celebrate Robin47





  18. #18
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with voting with your feet.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    demnogis wrote:
    camsoup, they never had any gun rights.* The English are all subjects to the crown. The English would have to change their system of government and put in place a new one that respects Natural Rights...
    Blackstone wouldn't have agreed with your assessment.

    The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defence, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression.

  20. #20
    Regular Member demnogis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    912

    Post imported post

    I agree. But even what you quote says ... "and such as are allowed by law". Guns are not allowed by law, there. Even knives are going away. Pretty soon across the pond, using your fists will be the only allowed method of self defense. But be prepared to face trial for fighting back.

    marshaul wrote:
    Blackstone wouldn't have agreed with your assessment.

    The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defense, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression
    As much as I chastise the Europeans and their commentary about our constitutionally recognized, inalienable right to keep and bear arms, I'm going to refrain from commenting further on their revoked privilege.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    The English Bill of Rights of 1689 read, in part:

    Freedom for Protestants to have arms for their own defence, as suitable to their class and as allowed by law.
    As Colin Greenwood explains:

    There were thirteen specific complaints and the sixth of these, set well above matters such as free elections, was that King James had “caused several good subjects, being protestants, to be disarmed at the same time when papists were both armed and imployed contrary to law.” The Bill did not seek to disarm catholics, but merely to place protestants on an equal footing by asserting that “the subjects which are protestants may have arms for their defence, suitable to their condition and. as allowed by law”.

    This statement must also be taken in the context of its day. The right to keep arms was a long established part of English Common Law but, because the Common Law is capable of change by various mechanisms, the right was not absolute and Charles II had modified it through his Militia Act of 1662 which continued the practice of requiring subjects to keep arms of a particular type according to their ‘condition and degree’ -- that is their rank in society and their wealth.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Rottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    Ca Patriot wrote:
    The news described the off dutycop as a "hero".

    Lets all just bow down and let the heros save us.
    Let's give credit where credit is due. This officer did the right thing and saved lives, including the life of this deranged woman,and therefore his actions were heroic. Kudos to him and any other individual regardless of occupation who has the mental fortitude to intervene in situations like this. This situation underscores the need to be armed and no one in this story is suggesting we bow down and let the police handle everything.

  23. #23
    Regular Member We-the-People's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    White City, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,234

    Post imported post

    coolusername2007 wrote:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with voting with your feet.
    We did, and may do so again.....to AZ (possibly NM but "constitutional carry" is big in the "where to" question).
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

  24. #24
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    We-the-People wrote:
    coolusername2007 wrote:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with voting with your feet.
    We did, and may do so again.....to AZ (possibly NM but "constitutional carry" is big in the "where to" question).
    I too am really liking AZ. Though for the moment I'm in a holding pattern.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    Rottie wrote:
    Ca Patriot wrote:
    The news described the off dutycop as a "hero".

    Lets all just bow down and let the heros save us.
    Let's give credit where credit is due. This officer did the right thing and saved lives, including the life of this deranged woman,and therefore his actions were heroic. Kudos to him and any other individual regardless of occupation who has the mental fortitude to intervene in situations like this. This situation underscores the need to be armed and no one in this story is suggesting we bow down and let the police handle everything.
    +1 for Rottie, It is threads like this that make me wonder what has caused hatred for LEO by some people. Suppose you were in that store with your gun and saw a man in a t-shirt, shorts and gun in handchasing a woman from aisle to aisle. What would you have done? Unless you are different than 95% of the people that carry you would assume that the man carrying the gun was the BG unless you had some other reason, maybe you saw the woman doing the stabbing or similar. Either way if there had been other people with guns in the store it could have turned out very differently.

    This does not even account for the fact that the officer chased the woman around and kept ordering her to put the knives down. Someone go count the number of times on this forum alone have people asked about in hypotheoreticalsimilar situation, "Can I shoot them"? They haven't asked should or must or but "CAN". I know this is going to get some people upset but I see posts all the time from people wanting an excuse to use their gun rather than a reason.

    You dang right this cop is a hero by happening to be in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing. He saved lives including the woman's doing the stabbing. No one has suggested anyone kiss his feet but dangit he did the right thing, would you have done it the same way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •