• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman stabs 4 in Southern Calif. Target store

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

demnogis wrote:
camsoup, they never had any gun rights.  The English are all subjects to the crown. The English would have to change their system of government and put in place a new one that respects Natural Rights...
Blackstone wouldn't have agreed with your assessment.

The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defence, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression.

demnogis

imported post

I agree. But even what you quote says ... "and such as are allowed by law". Guns are not allowed by law, there. Even knives are going away. Pretty soon across the pond, using your fists will be the only allowed method of self defense. But be prepared to face trial for fighting back.

marshaul wrote:
Blackstone wouldn't have agreed with your assessment.

The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defense, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression
As much as I chastise the Europeans and their commentary about our constitutionally recognized, inalienable right to keep and bear arms, I'm going to refrain from commenting further on their revoked privilege.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The English Bill of Rights of 1689 read, in part:

Freedom for Protestants to have arms for their own defence, as suitable to their class and as allowed by law.

As Colin Greenwood explains:

There were thirteen specific complaints and the sixth of these, set well above matters such as free elections, was that King James had “caused several good subjects, being protestants, to be disarmed at the same time when papists were both armed and imployed contrary to law.” The Bill did not seek to disarm catholics, but merely to place protestants on an equal footing by asserting that “the subjects which are protestants may have arms for their defence, suitable to their condition and. as allowed by law”.

This statement must also be taken in the context of its day. The right to keep arms was a long established part of English Common Law but, because the Common Law is capable of change by various mechanisms, the right was not absolute and Charles II had modified it through his Militia Act of 1662 which continued the practice of requiring subjects to keep arms of a particular type according to their ‘condition and degree’ -- that is their rank in society and their wealth.

Rottie

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
The news described the off dutycop as a "hero".

Lets all just bow down and let the heros save us.
Let's give credit where credit is due. This officer did the right thing and saved lives, including the life of this deranged woman,and therefore his actions were heroic. Kudos to him and any other individual regardless of occupation who has the mental fortitude to intervene in situations like this. This situation underscores the need to be armed and no one in this story is suggesting we bow down and let the police handle everything.

PT111

imported post

Rottie wrote:
Ca Patriot wrote:
The news described the off dutycop as a "hero".

Lets all just bow down and let the heros save us.
Let's give credit where credit is due. This officer did the right thing and saved lives, including the life of this deranged woman,and therefore his actions were heroic. Kudos to him and any other individual regardless of occupation who has the mental fortitude to intervene in situations like this. This situation underscores the need to be armed and no one in this story is suggesting we bow down and let the police handle everything.

+1 for Rottie, It is threads like this that make me wonder what has caused hatred for LEO by some people. Suppose you were in that store with your gun and saw a man in a t-shirt, shorts and gun in handchasing a woman from aisle to aisle. What would you have done? Unless you are different than 95% of the people that carry you would assume that the man carrying the gun was the BG unless you had some other reason, maybe you saw the woman doing the stabbing or similar. Either way if there had been other people with guns in the store it could have turned out very differently.

This does not even account for the fact that the officer chased the woman around and kept ordering her to put the knives down. Someone go count the number of times on this forum alone have people asked about in hypotheoreticalsimilar situation, "Can I shoot them"? They haven't asked should or must or but "CAN". I know this is going to get some people upset but I see posts all the time from people wanting an excuse to use their gun rather than a reason.

You dang right this cop is a hero by happening to be in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing. He saved lives including the woman's doing the stabbing. No one has suggested anyone kiss his feet but dangit he did the right thing, would you have done it the same way?