Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Who is going to open carry while voting?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Post imported post

    My poling place is the Pandora Lodge #2, so I will of course, open carry while I vote.


    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  2. #2
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384

    Post imported post

    This for the mayoral election?

    I vote in a school when the time comes.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    I'm also stuck voting in a school.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    roscoe13 wrote:
    I'm also stuck voting in a school.
    Same here.

    During the last Presidential primaries, they had a Democrat booth and a Republican booth. You had to state which one you wanted.

    When I stated "Republican," people in line actually laughed.

    So I'd LOVE to OC when I vote, just to see the droppings on the floor left by my fellow residents.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    383

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    I'm also stuck voting in a school.
    Same here.

    During the last Presidential primaries, they had a Democrat booth and a Republican booth. You had to state which one you wanted.

    When I stated "Republican," people in line actually laughed.

    So I'd LOVE to OC when I vote, just to see the droppings on the floor left by my fellow residents
    For me Voting=school. I'm giving up one right to engage in another right. It does not make sense to me.

  6. #6
    Regular Member kennys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ruther Glen Va
    Posts
    508

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    I'm also stuck voting in a school.
    Same here.

    During the last Presidential primaries, they had a Democrat booth and a Republican booth. You had to state which one you wanted.

    When I stated "Republican," people in line actually laughed.

    So I'd LOVE to OC when I vote, just to see the droppings on the floor left by my fellow residents.
    Didn't know they could do that. Not that I care that people know I vote R, but for some it could be an intimidating factor.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    I'm also stuck voting in a school.
    Same here.

    During the last Presidential primaries, they had a Democrat booth and a Republican booth. You had to state which one you wanted.

    When I stated "Republican," people in line actually laughed.

    So I'd LOVE to OC when I vote, just to see the droppings on the floor left by my fellow residents.

    I wonder what they would say if I said I was a Federalist or a Constitutionalists or a member of the Lemonade Party or my personal favorite the Democratic-Republican Party. Do you think they would set up another booth just for me? I don't think it is fair that a democrat or a republican get their own booth and my party doesn't. I wonder how many :what: and I would get at the polling booths?

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    totes6 wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    I'm also stuck voting in a school.
    Same here.

    During the last Presidential primaries, they had a Democrat booth and a Republican booth. You had to state which one you wanted.

    When I stated "Republican," people in line actually laughed.

    So I'd LOVE to OC when I vote, just to see the droppings on the floor left by my fellow residents.

    I wonder what they would say if I said I was a Federalist or a Constitutionalists or a member of the Lemonade Party or my personal favorite the Democratic-Republican Party. Do you think they would set up another booth just for me? I don't think it is fair that a democrat or a republican get their own booth and my party doesn't. I wonder how many :what: and I would get at the polling booths?
    Do those parties even HAVE primaries????
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    @Roscoe

    No those parties do not have primaries. The Federalist and the Democrat-Republican parties were both parties from the founding years of the States. The Lemonade party as far as I know is a made up party from a fictional book called called "The kid who ran for President." I was just posing a hypothetical question of what would happen if I responded to being asked if I was Democrat or Republican with some completely off the wall response.

    But back on topic, I also vote in a school so carrying while I vote is a no go for me too. I think we need to push to move our polling places to somewhere else so we can carry.

  10. #10
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    totes6 wrote:
    I think we need to push to move our polling places to somewhere else so we can carry.
    Isn't there a similar push to have restrictions lifted for courthouses when used for purposes other than criminal court?

    Wouldn't something along those lines work in an instance like this, but rather for schools?

    As I also am required to sacrifice one right to exercise another. My polling place is a school, too.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  11. #11
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    I'm also stuck voting in a school.
    Same here.

    During the last Presidential primaries, they had a Democrat booth and a Republican booth. You had to state which one you wanted.

    When I stated "Republican," people in line actually laughed.

    So I'd LOVE to OC when I vote, just to see the droppings on the floor left by my fellow residents.
    When I voted in the primary two summers ago, the person in line in front of me stated that they wanted a Democratic ballot and the POLL OFFICIAL made some remark along the lines of "oh good, another one". I was not carrying my voice recorder, and it may have not even picked it up if I had, but I was nearly floored.

    So much for impartial polling officials.

    TFred

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    totes6 wrote:
    I think we need to push to move our polling places to somewhere else so we can carry.
    Isn't there a similar push to have restrictions lifted for courthouses when used for purposes other than criminal court?

    Wouldn't something along those lines work in an instance like this, but rather for schools?

    As I also am required to sacrifice one right to exercise another. My polling place is a school, too.
    Mine's in an elementary school - so I wear an empty holster and mag cases.
    Its the best I can do. :?

    Oh, and a VCDL hat.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    School voting for me. :?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    roscoe13 wrote:
    I'm also stuck voting in a school.
    This is my situation... had to disarm prior to voting.

    Utter crock IMO.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    I do that most evera time. Never had an issue.



    I really want to camp out outside wearing a black panther costume. Headpiece, black tail, the whole enchilada. I hear that it is legal now. I even get to harass and intimidate voters.

    I promise not to carry if I can find a costume, just to make some of you bedwetters sleep dry through the night. I keed.

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611

    Post imported post

    Tweaker wrote:
    I do that most evera time. Never had an issue.



    I really want to camp out outside wearing a black panther costume. Headpiece, black tail, the whole enchilada. I hear that it is legal now. I even get to harass and intimidate voters.

    I promise not to carry if I can find a costume, just to make some of you bedwetters sleep dry through the night. I keed.
    Not sure of your point - even kidding.

    Reference to voter harassment or intimidation, in jest or not, is not something to be stated lightly. Particularly in light of so many vote manipulation claims in past elections.

    That and wearing such would likely put you in violation of

    VIRGINIA
    Section 18.2-422:
    Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

    http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/mcs/maskcodes.html#VIRGINIA

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    Damn, I am white so it will even get enforced, too!



    So much for that plan.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hanover County, Virginia, ,
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Tweaker wrote:
    I do that most evera time. Never had an issue.



    I really want to camp out outside wearing a black panther costume. Headpiece, black tail, the whole enchilada. I hear that it is legal now. I even get to harass and intimidate voters.

    I promise not to carry if I can find a costume, just to make some of you bedwetters sleep dry through the night. I keed.
    Not sure of your point - even kidding.

    Reference to voter harassment or intimidation, in jest or not, is not something to be stated lightly. Particularly in light of so many vote manipulation claims in past elections.

    That and wearing such would likely put you in violation of

    VIRGINIA
    Section 18.2-422:
    Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

    http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/mcs/maskcodes.html#VIRGINIA

    Yata hey
    He is referring to this.

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611

    Post imported post

    Carpetbagger wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Tweaker wrote:
    I do that most evera time. Never had an issue.



    I really want to camp out outside wearing a black panther costume. Headpiece, black tail, the whole enchilada. I hear that it is legal now. I even get to harass and intimidate voters.

    I promise not to carry if I can find a costume, just to make some of you bedwetters sleep dry through the night. I keed.
    Not sure of your point - even kidding.

    Reference to voter harassment or intimidation, in jest or not, is not something to be stated lightly. Particularly in light of so many vote manipulation claims in past elections.

    That and wearing such would likely put you in violation of

    VIRGINIA
    Section 18.2-422:
    Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

    http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/mcs/maskcodes.html#VIRGINIA

    Yata hey
    He is referring to this.
    Ok - makes sense now.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    Mines just as bad. My polling place is a church.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    allens wrote:
    Mines just as bad. My polling place is a church.
    So what's the issue?

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    allens wrote:
    Mines just as bad. My polling place is a church.
    So what's the issue?
    Since he doesn't show his location, he might not be in Virginia where "good and sufficient cause" is all that is required in church.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

    Yata hey

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384

    Post imported post

    3/8/2009, Maryville First Baptist Church, Maryville, Illinois – 1 dead 12/12/2008, New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Portland, Oregon – 1 wounded
    11/23/2008, St. Thomas Syrian Orthodox Knanaya Church, Clifton, New Jersey – 3 wounded
    7/27/2008, Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, Knoxville, Tennessee – 1 dead, 8 wounded
    6/26/2008, Trinity United Methodist Church, Clearfield, Pennsylvania – 1 wounded
    6/23/2008, Pentecostal Assembly of God Church, Arecibo, Puerto Rico - 2 wounded
    5/26/2008, St. Mary Coptic Church, Elkton, Maryland – 1 dead
    5/17/2008, St. John Baptist de la Salle Roman Catholic Church, Los Angeles, California – 3 wounded
    3/20/2008, Assembly of the Saints Church, Suitland, Maryland – 2 wounded
    12/10/2007, New Life Church, Colorado Springs, Colorado - 2 dead, 4 wounded
    8/13/2007, First Congregational Church, Neosho, Missouri - 3 dead, 5 wounded
    2/26/2006, Zion Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Detroit, Michigan – 2 dead, 1 wounded
    9/16/1999, Wedgewood Baptist Church, Fort Worth, Texas – 7 dead
    from http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ood+sufficient by Statkowski
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  24. #24
    Regular Member USNA69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    375

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    allens wrote:
    Mines just as bad. My polling place is a church.
    So what's the issue?
    Since he doesn't show his location, he might not be in Virginia where "good and sufficient cause" is all that is required in church.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

    Yata hey

    Not to be pedantic here (IANAL) ... and I know that election day has come and gone ... but my understanding of the "church" provision is that the carry prohibition is only in effect when a meeting for religious purposes is being held. Even then, the "good and sufficient reason" exception applies.

    Β§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

    If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

    Unless the church was holding services during voting hours, you should be good to go.

    My local civic league meets in a church on Monday evenings, and I carry.




  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    182

    Post imported post

    rebfan wrote:
    For me Voting=school.Β* I'm giving up one right to engage in another right.Β* It does not make sense to me.Β*
    A few years ago my polling place moved to the local high-school. I wonder if it can be moved.

    Edit: I just called and asked the Registrar of Voters. The answer was "No." My only other option is absentee, which is a non starter for me. First if the election is close the absentee's have a much higher challenge rate. But more importantly, I feel that voting is a civic duty, and should be done openly. I take my boys with me to teach them that voting is a serious responsibility.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •