• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who is going to open carry while voting?

t33j

imported post

3/8/2009, Maryville First Baptist Church, Maryville, Illinois – 1 dead 12/12/2008, New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Portland, Oregon – 1 wounded
11/23/2008, St. Thomas Syrian Orthodox Knanaya Church, Clifton, New Jersey – 3 wounded
7/27/2008, Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, Knoxville, Tennessee – 1 dead, 8 wounded
6/26/2008, Trinity United Methodist Church, Clearfield, Pennsylvania – 1 wounded
6/23/2008, Pentecostal Assembly of God Church, Arecibo, Puerto Rico - 2 wounded
5/26/2008, St. Mary Coptic Church, Elkton, Maryland – 1 dead
5/17/2008, St. John Baptist de la Salle Roman Catholic Church, Los Angeles, California – 3 wounded
3/20/2008, Assembly of the Saints Church, Suitland, Maryland – 2 wounded
12/10/2007, New Life Church, Colorado Springs, Colorado - 2 dead, 4 wounded
8/13/2007, First Congregational Church, Neosho, Missouri - 3 dead, 5 wounded
2/26/2006, Zion Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Detroit, Michigan – 2 dead, 1 wounded
9/16/1999, Wedgewood Baptist Church, Fort Worth, Texas – 7 dead
from http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=43410&forum_id=54&highlight=good+sufficient by Statkowski

USNA69

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
allens wrote:
Mines just as bad. My polling place is a church.
So what's the issue?
Since he doesn't show his location, he might not be in Virginia where "good and sufficient cause" is all that is required in church.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

Yata hey

Not to be pedantic here (IANAL) ... and I know that election day has come and gone ... but my understanding of the "church" provision is that the carry prohibition is only in effect when a meeting for religious purposes is being held. Even then, the "good and sufficient reason" exception applies.

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

Unless the church was holding services during voting hours, you should be good to go.

My local civic league meets in a church on Monday evenings, and I carry.

Fenris

imported post

rebfan wrote:
For me Voting=school.  I'm giving up one right to engage in another right.  It does not make sense to me. 
A few years ago my polling place moved to the local high-school. I wonder if it can be moved.

Edit: I just called and asked the Registrar of Voters. The answer was "No." My only other option is absentee, which is a non starter for me. First if the election is close the absentee's have a much higher challenge rate. But more importantly, I feel that voting is a civic duty, and should be done openly. I take my boys with me to teach them that voting is a serious responsibility.

USNA69

imported post

Fenris wrote:
rebfan wrote:
For me Voting=school. I'm giving up one right to engage in another right. It does not make sense to me.
A few years ago my polling place moved to the local high-school. I wonder if it can be moved.

Edit: I just called and asked the Registrar of Voters. The answer was "No." My only other option is absentee, which is a non starter for me. First if the election is close the absentee's have a much higher challenge rate. But more importantly, I feel that voting is a civic duty, and should be done openly. I take my boys with me to teach them that voting is a serious responsibility.
Having a polling placein a school also presents a similar problem for a registered sex offender. I suppose (s)he asks for an absentee ballot. I bet that is an interesting conversation at the Registrar's Office.

aadvark

imported post

Man..., I wish Georgians would be allowed to do that someday.

Virginia has it good!

architect

imported post

USNA69 wrote:
Having a polling placein a school also presents a similar problem for a registered sex offender. I suppose (s)he asks for an absentee ballot. I bet that is an interesting conversation at the Registrar's Office.
Considering that one can gain such status for so minor an infraction as public urination, perhaps it shouldn't be such a stigma?

Fenris

imported post

Well I don't know. Can't the BATFE nail you for crimes that you haven't committed, but could have?

At least with urination, you either did pee, or you didn't/

Tweaker

imported post

Public urination is a sex offense?

1) I will be more vigilant when I whip dis out.

2) I am clearly doing it wrong!

TFred

imported post

Fenris wrote:
rebfan wrote:
For me Voting=school. I'm giving up one right to engage in another right. It does not make sense to me.

You might want to call the Registrar back and ask them to explain to you how submitting an absentee ballot without meeting one of the clearly defined requirements for doing so is not against the law, and why would they suggest that you break the law?

See http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/24.2-700.HTM

Neither carrying a firearm, nor being a convicted sex offender are valid reasons to request and use an absentee ballot.

There were several bills this past year to eliminate a list of reasons, but they all died in committee. (At least upon my quick search through the LIS database.)

TFred

ETA: P.S. I see now from your message that perhaps the registrar did not suggest you submit an absentee ballot.

This very well could end up being an interesting civil rights case... the government is clearly forcing you to trade one right to excercise another. I bet this could be won.

Fenris

imported post

TFred wrote:ETA: P.S. I see now from your message that perhaps the registrar did not suggest you submit an absentee ballot.

This very well could end up being an interesting civil rights case... the government is clearly forcing you to trade one right to excercise another.  I bet this could be won.

[/quote]

This is correct. I was merely speculating as to a possible alternative. I did not realize that there was a list of qualifying reasons for absentee voting. As I said, absentee voting has never appealed to me so I never looked into it.

A civil rights case? I like it.

Thundar

imported post

You are wrong for th vast majority of Virginians. Most with CHPs can only carry in their car. You have to go IN the school to vote.

I don't agree with the law, but in this forum we try to be accurate.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
cruzn82 wrote:
Conceal Carry is ok in a school if it's for voting purposes

Please cite the va code section for this...
That doesn't sound right.
It is not right - obviously so.

Cruzn82 deleted/edited his post, but it had already been captured by quoting it. :)

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
fairfax1 wrote:
cruzn82 wrote:
Conceal Carry is ok in a school if it's for voting purposes

Please cite the va code section for this...
That doesn't sound right.
It is not right - obviously so.

Cruzn82 deleted/edited his post, but it had already been captured by quoting it. :)

Yata hey
Good grief... I hadn't even noticed that... there's nothing wrong with being wrong as long as you own up to it. Everyone is wrong once in a while! You get a whole lot more respect saying oops than just sneaking out the back door.

TFred

USNA69

When is a school no longer a school

I was reviewing this thread in light of the upcoming November elections. My polling place is a school building, but it is no longer used as a school. I am referring to the old J.E.B. Stuart school in Norfolk. It has been unused for several years. It is not listed on the Norfolk Public Schools web site (http://www.nps.k12.va.us) .

So, we have an interesting situation. Inasmuch as there are no school activities taking place in the building, I would think that OC/CC would not be prohibited. However, I can just picture a very interesting discussion of that fine point with poll volunteers or the NPD. "But Officer, it is not a school. There are no students or teachers here." "Yes, it is a school; it says so on the sign outside."

I suppose the underlying legal question is: "For the purpose of carrying of firearms in the Commonwealth of Virginia, when does a school cease being a school?"