• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WHY OPEN CARRY?

Opinion

imported post

I personally think anyone who carries a guns is also carrying an extremely high sense of paranoia. It's common sense, they're afraid? It's also counter productive if you ask me, it's enabling all ages of children, teens and adolescent minors to rationalize the use or carry of their own guns or weapons in general.

Because, as we all know...everyone with a holstered gun has had their house raided, life threatened, car stolen, loved ones harmed, fought in some sort of war (if they've served time it's okay because they're ready for terrorists!), child abducted, etc. Let's get real, 90% of all people with guns don't even need 'em.

Someone without a gun is no more susceptible to the ever changing dynamics of reality than someone equipped. If you're robbed, you call 9-11 the robber bolts. That same robber breaks into your house realizing you're threatening his life with a 9mm he'll show you the same gratitude in return and guess who'll be actively and readily equipped for the encounter as opposed to someone in the leisure of their own home?

The entire point of being a criminal is to have the upper hand in every situation imaginable and common sense serves if his or her life is threatened no matter the scenario, occasion or hypothetical model someone is going to die.

eye95

imported post

Are folks with fire extinguishers also paranoid?

A robber fears a call to 911 more than he fears a gun??? I don't think so.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
imported post

Opinion wrote:
I personally think anyone who carries a guns is also carrying an extremely high sense of paranoia. It's common sense, they're afraid? It's also counter productive if you ask me, it's enabling all ages of children, teens and adolescent minors to rationalize the use or carry of their own guns or weapons in general.

Because, as we all know...everyone with a holstered gun has had their house raided, life threatened, car stolen, loved ones harmed, fought in some sort of war (if they've served time it's okay because they're ready for terrorists!), child abducted, etc. Let's get real, 90% of all people with guns don't even need 'em.

Someone without a gun is no more susceptible to the ever changing dynamics of reality than someone equipped. If you're robbed, you call 9-11 the robber bolts. That same robber breaks into your house realizing you're threatening his life with a 9mm he'll show you the same gratitude in return and guess who'll be actively and readily equipped for the encounter as opposed to someone in the leisure of their own home?

The entire point of being a criminal is to have the upper hand in every situation imaginable and common sense serves if his or her life is threatened no matter the scenario, occasion or hypothetical model someone is going to die.
Thank you, Mr. Helmke.:)

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Opinion wrote:
Ok, so if you call 911 and there is a robber in your house, how do you suppose that robber is going to know you called 911?! And by you yelling out "I just called 911" to a robber atomatically tells them that they have a few minutes to get and or do what they want...now, same situation, robber busts in and finds you with your family huttled behind you, your wife on the phone with 911 and you with pistol pointed at the door, pretty sure that guys not gunna stay and find out what happens. Back to your scenerio...ya gotta figure the police can't be there within 5 seconds of your call, so what happens when it takes the first responders 10-15 minutes to get to your house?! What if said robber has a gun and finds you and decides to use it? You will be dead and robber will be gone before the police arrive. Ignorance and hoping things won't happen is not a plan or strategy. You are the only one responsible for your safety and that of your family. May I ask, do you wear your seatbelt when you get in the car? If you do then, according to your theory, you are paranoid. Do you have a smoke detector in your home? Life jackets in your boat?! For that matter, do you have a spare tire and tools or jumper cables in your vehicle, or even carry a cell phone at all times?It's being prepared, not paranoid.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
Opinion wrote:
Ok, so if you call 911 and there is a robber in your house, how do you suppose that robber is going to know you called 911?! And by you yelling out "I just called 911" to a robber atomatically tells them that they have a few minutes to get and or do what they want...now, same situation, robber busts in and finds you with your family huttled behind you, your wife on the phone with 911 and you with pistol pointed at the door, pretty sure that guys not gunna stay and find out what happens. Back to your scenerio...ya gotta figure the police can't be there within 5 seconds of your call, so what happens when it takes the first responders 10-15 minutes to get to your house?! What if said robber has a gun and finds you and decides to use it? You will be dead and robber will be gone before the police arrive. Ignorance and hoping things won't happen is not a plan or strategy. You are the only one responsible for your safety and that of your family. May I ask, do you wear your seatbelt when you get in the car? If you do then, according to your theory, you are paranoid. Do you have a smoke detector in your home? Life jackets in your boat?! For that matter, do you have a spare tire and tools or jumper cables in your vehicle, or even carry a cell phone at all times?It's being prepared, not paranoid.
Ummm... Can TTcrunchberry get and "oh, heck yeah" on this one?... I think so;)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Plankton wrote:
Opinion wrote:

Thank you, Mr. Helmke.:)
Yup, it does sound like much of the lame comments Helmke makes in his articles. Probably a cut and paste.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
Opinion wrote:
Dang girl! I do believe you are more than ready to handle anyone that inquires as to "Why do you carry." :D

okboomer

imported post

I laugh at the Brinks Home Security commercials ... and when the operator says, "I'm sending help," my family says, "No, send the ambulance because I am armed and ready to defend myself!" :lol:

IMHO, those commercials are great demonstrations on why LAC should carry, even in the home!

JKelly

imported post

Opinion wrote:

Hopefully, this is a put on. If not, it sounds as though someone simply expects to rationalize the fact that he is too lazy,stupid, or fearful to face reality and acquire the means and skills to defend himself and his family.

I have both firearms and first aid kits. I keep them handy, and I maintain my skill with each.

Do I expect to have to use them in the near future? No.

Have I used them? Yes, and I've used the guns more than the first aid kit. (For this discussion I ignore the box of bandaids in the bathroom -- that's just normal maintenance for errors made while stringing barb wire, etc.)

As for the skill level of a burglar with a gun, I have yet to be convinced that adisorganized sociopath has the self-discipline required to put in the thankless hours of practice required to either acquire or maintaina high level of skill with a firearm or to learn and practice the techniques of gunfighting. If he comes into my house, that's his mistake, and his propects of survival are inversely proportional to his aggressiveness.

Hef

imported post

Opinion wrote:

Thanks for the laugh.

GWbiker

imported post

Opinion wrote:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

JKelly wrote:
Opinion wrote:

Hopefully, this is a put on. If not, it sounds as though someone simply expects to rationalize the fact that he is too lazy,stupid, or fearful to face reality and acquire the means and skills to defend himself and his family.

I have both firearms and first aid kits. I keep them handy, and I maintain my skill with each.

Do I expect to have to use them in the near future? No.

Have I used them? Yes, and I've used the guns more than the first aid kit. (For this discussion I ignore the box of bandaids in the bathroom -- that's just normal maintenance for errors made while stringing barb wire, etc.)

As for the skill level of a burglar with a gun, I have yet to be convinced that adisorganized sociopath has the self-discipline required to put in the thankless hours of practice required to either acquire or maintaina high level of skill with a firearm or to learn and practice the techniques of gunfighting. If he comes into my house, that's his mistake, and his propects of survival are inversely proportional to his aggressiveness.
Yep, he took the decision to take a risk in hopes of gaining a reward. If his reward is not exactly what he had expect or hoped to receive... oh well. The human race is not in danger of going extinct any time soon so one less member is not about to upset the balance.

Nice post.

Delta116

imported post

Its just too damn hot in Texas to have to conceal a firearm. Right now its 104 degrees where I live. Who can comfortably conceal a firearm when you are sweating your ass off? Ican't. And then people think something is wrong with you andask you why you are wearing so many clothes. My opinon though it may not mean much ,It would just be easier and more comfortable to open carry.

JKelly

imported post

Here in Northern Nevada we are having the usual start of summer blitz -- high temperatures combined with higher than normal humidity until the ground dries out. I was running around all day, carrying a full-sized 1911 concealed.

I use a Sparks VMII under a shirt. The kydex clips allow the shirt to be tucked in. I was in and out of stores, car dealerships, and other places all day long, starting at about 8:00 this morning. I am still armed as I type this at about 7:30 PM and feel no discomfort, although I did tuck my shirt in normally shortly after I finished my day and returned home.

Stainless steel is SO nice. :lol:

Delta116

imported post

I agree. Thank God for stainless steel. Anything other, chances are will probably rust. And right now, since my 1911 is parkerized itis starting to show some minor implications of good ole' fashioned surface rust in some places. Well any way off to the old cleaning table yes sir' indeed.:celebrate

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Opinion wrote:

you should hang yourself