• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in a grocery store

GlockFanatic943

imported post

So i was UOCing in a grocery store and as i was checking out i could hear the manager (or an employee) a few check stand behind me saying stuff like "hes checking out now". so my question is how do i obtain a 911 call recording? if i know the time and date when the call was placed..

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

File a PRAR with the agency that would have taken the call and ask for a list of 911 calls during that time period and then ask for the recording for the one from that store.

giaking70

imported post

Wc wrote:
thats good info there but however, the police agency may not be required to give you ANY info. Let me explain before shooting me down.

I was illegally detained by the local police here where I live for OCing in a shopping mall of all places. I tried very hard to get a copy of ALL related reports pertaining to my arrest. After I was released, they told me that the report was part of an "ongoing investigation" and that they would NOT grant me a copy of the report or even a recording of the 911 call. I even tried to file it under the California Freedom of Information Act and they pretty much flat out told me get lost. Even Pullnshoot bore witness to that event as well.
I am not saying what you are suggesting will not work, I am just saying, be prepared for them to NOT give you so much as a courtesy of a smile about it. But please do keep us posted as to if it works or not. And do please post the LEO encounter if any...

Wc

imported post

We are aware of it but you can report it to CGF will be happy to helping you.:)

GlockFanatic943

imported post

Deathwing_Kingstar wrote:
geez that sucks, what supermarket, what city? i OC'ed last night with my family to a Food Maxx and had no problems just some looky loos.
For some weird reason i have never been stopped, questioned or had any funny calls at a foodmax , isnt that weird?? lol

Edit: Spelling

GlockFanatic943

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Care to tell us whether or not you had a LEO encounter as a result of their call?

Nope noone ever came, and i even ate at Panda right next door without any issues thinking someone might come. i listened to my audio after i got home and i couldn't hear the person, i was bummed out because i was going to post it on here.

GlockFanatic943

imported post

where do you keep your recorder? i want to make a pouch that clips to the collar of a shirt so the mic is up and direct at people.
I use a 5th Gen I Pod nano. it has a built in video and audio recorder. i place this in the little coin pocket just above my right side main pocket. it sits perfectly in there and just make sure my hands never cover the view of the camera, and its so small that its hardly even noticeable. i picked my nano up for $87 shipped on ebay.

GlockFanatic943

imported post

thats exactly where i keep my recorder, but i've notice that sometimes i dont get good audio there. does yours record well in the coin pocket?

Surprisingly VERY well. when i go an edit the video i will have to digitally turn down the volume. crystal clear and loud. like i said the only thing i have to watch out for is my hand getting in the way of the video (only reason why i would consider another spot).

They main thing for me is i dont want the officer to know i have proof of the conversation, i want him to act the way he normally would.

dirtykoala

imported post

apples audio/video are great. i use my iphone and a 5th gen ipod nano for recording. before i had the nano, i was using my iphone to record though the little earbuds/mic that the phone came with, the little mic picked up a cop saying "sir" from 40-50 ft behind me.

FYI, you can use the iphone earbuds/mic to listen/record with the 5th gen nano. having the white earbuds wrapped around your neck looks normal, no one would suspect they are being recorded.

another great audio recorder is the Sansa Clip. its small, records for a really long time, and is easy to interface with on your computer.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

GlockFanatic943 wrote:
So i was UOCing in a grocery store and as i was checking out i could hear the manager (or an employee) a few check stand behind me saying stuff like "hes checking out now". so my question is how do i obtain a 911 call recording? if i know the time and date when the call was placed..

A couple of points to consider;

1) If you werent contacted by the police, there is little use for the recording other than hearing someone drop a dime on you.

2) It possible that they werent on the phone with police- I believe its entirely possible that the manger/employee was on the telephone with their superiors, asking what they should do with an armed person in their store.

3) When I PRAR'd the 911tape for the call that initiated my police encounter, it cost me $50.00 for about 3 minutes of audio recorded on a cassette- there was no option for them to put it on disc or email it in a digital format.

GlockFanatic943

imported post

Wow that's expensive. yea all i wanted to hear was the initial call, but spending that kind of money for something that might not even be there might not be worth it. However i am putting in a request from the local police station for a map detailing all gun free school zones. like the guy did with the freemont police department. you can obtain that map by subscribing to the open carry radio podcast and download it.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
3) When I PRAR'd the 911tape for the call that initiated my police encounter, it cost me $50.00 for about 3 minutes of audio recorded on a cassette- there was no option for them to put it on disc or email it in a digital format.
I thought one could request to inspect a record, which is required to be free, instead of receive a copy of it.

http://www.adp.state.ca.us/pra/Inspection.shtml

Second to last bullet point reads:
There is no charge to inspect records. However, if you want to take copies of records with you there may be a duplication fee based on the number of pages involved.