• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Take a moment, assemble your thoughts, and reply

Mainsail

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Hey guys, it's Ruby. I need some help. I got into a discussion on CL's R&R yesterday concerning open carry. One guy was vehemently against it. I was polite and allowed him his opinion. Then another guy chimed in and said, and I quote "What Starbucks is it where everyone meets? I wanna go. I've got a genuine Colt SAA in .45 Colt, a pre-war model and a Coshise Leather Company Duke holster rig just like John Wayne wore. I would love to wear it in public. I would be willing to challenge anyone to a fast draw. I can beat them even with my single action. You bet I can! Let me know where you meet and I'll be there. I have dreamed about this."
What makes you think he's a guy? What makes you think he's an adult? What makes you think he has a Colt SA?

Don't believe everything you read, and don't believe people in an anonymous forum are who they say they are. If you had given him the exact time and location, and he arrived with an openly carried sidearm, he would be subject to arrest. Open carry is lawful, open carry with the intent to intimidate is unlawful.

In all likelihood, he was some 12 year old kid- up to mischief on the internet because he's grounded from his video games. :D

Dave Workman

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Then another guy chimed in and said, and I quote "What Starbucks is it where everyone meets? I wanna go. I've got a genuine Colt SAA in .45 Colt, a pre-war model and a Coshise Leather Company Duke holster rig just like John Wayne wore. I would love to wear it in public. I would be willing to challenge anyone to a fast draw. I can beat them even with my single action. You bet I can! Let me know where you meet and I'll be there. I have dreamed about this."

For openers, I looked at Cochise Leather and that rig is not like the one Wayne wore in the movies. :quirky

Moving right along, whoever this person is, he/she is an idiot. Don't rise to the bait.

Ruby

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Ruby wrote:
Hey guys, it's Ruby. I need some help. I got into a discussion on CL's R&R yesterday concerning open carry. One guy was vehemently against it. I was polite and allowed him his opinion. Then another guy chimed in and said, and I quote "What Starbucks is it where everyone meets? I wanna go. I've got a genuine Colt SAA in .45 Colt, a pre-war model and a Coshise Leather Company Duke holster rig just like John Wayne wore. I would love to wear it in public. I would be willing to challenge anyone to a fast draw. I can beat them even with my single action. You bet I can! Let me know where you meet and I'll be there. I have dreamed about this."
What makes you think he's a guy? What makes you think he's an adult? What makes you think he has a Colt SA?

Don't believe everything you read, and don't believe people in an anonymous forum are who they say they are. If you had given him the exact time and location, and he arrived with an openly carried sidearm, he would be subject to arrest. Open carry is lawful, open carry with the intent to intimidate is unlawful.

In all likelihood, he was some 12 year old kid- up to mischief on the internet because he's grounded from his video games. :D
Thanks, I needed that! You are probably right. Sorry if I overreacted. Just haven't encountered that sort of thing on the internet before, I tend to take threats or threatening behavior seriously.

Dave Workman

imported post

Ruby wrote:

Thanks, I needed that! You are probably right. Sorry if I overreacted. Just haven't encountered that sort of thing on the internet before, I tend to take threats or threatening behavior seriously.

Ruby: I don't believe this was a threat, just some @$$hat trying to be provocative and cute at the same time. Didn't pass the smell test.

Ruby

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I think you did best by ignoring him, he is trolling and trying to bait you.
Well, I already took the bait. I am just an honest person who tends to believe what people say until proven otherwise. I guess that I am naive, even though I am older and should know better. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case this is real and this guy is serious. Sorry if I caused a problem for anyone.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ruby wrote:
Well, I already took the bait. I am just an honest person who tends to believe what people say until proven otherwise. I guess that I am naive, even though I am older and should know better. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case this is real and this guy is serious. Sorry if I caused a problem for anyone.
People like that will never leave their basement.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Ruby wrote:
No problem, Ruby. You did exactly the right thing. You brought what you thought might be a dangerous situation to the attention of people who:

A. Needed to know in case he does show up, and

B. Are able to help you figure out what to do about it.

You're one of us now and we've got your back. Okay? :D

Ruby

imported post

Bookman wrote:
Ruby wrote:
No problem, Ruby. You did exactly the right thing. You brought what you thought might be a dangerous situation to the attention of people who:

A. Needed to know in case he does show up, and

B. Are able to help you figure out what to do about it.

You're one of us now and we've got your back. Okay? :D
Okay!! Thanks!!

Ruby

imported post

Ruby here. I just checked on CL R & R and I can't believe the posts on there about open carry. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. I found a post where he tried to make it look like me answering him, threatening to killhim. That's preposterous! His supposed answer doesn't even sound like me. And to say that this person will get the other people to tell the police that it was self defense, as if you could tell anyone what to say in such a scenario and then plant a gun on the dead person in front of everyone in Starbucks?!? That doesn't even resemble any part of the reality I live in! But what I find hilarious are the other posters that think this could possibly happen in the way he has outlined it. I haven't posted anything on there since sometime yesterday. What I don't like is that the fools on there believe him and are condemning open carry. What a bunch of lunatics!! I wish I had never had that conversation about open carry with the first person, let alone this crazy person! Needless to say, I will never post on Craig's List again. I noticed that he declined very quickly when invited to the gun show this weekend, or to go to the website. He has really managed to stir up a stink. He's finally getting the attention he craves at our expense! Sorry, guys, if I had known something like this would happen, I never would have answered him in the first place.Here I thought I was doing something good to advance open carry and all this has done is smear open carry. Oh well, you can't control what other people think or say, 1st Amendment. Considering the mentality of some of the people on there, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. And the guy that says he will complain to Starbucks and get us thrown out? Good luck with that, the Brady Campaign couldn't do it. I just really feel bad about the whole thing. I guess no one knows what's going to crawl out of the woodwork from time to time. I feel somewhat responsible; I am so sorry this has occured.