• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California anti-gun group attempts to derail Oklahoma open carry vote

Wc

imported post

Link

May 1, 8:32 PM
greydot.gif
Fort Smith Gun Rights Examiner
greydot.gif
Steve D. Jones

The liberal anti-gun group, Legal Community Against Violence (as if gun rights groups arefor violence) has stuck their nose into the current Oklahoma legislative session in an attempt to stop HB 3354, the open carry bill.LCAV is a group of far-left lawyers from San Francisco who attempt to push their gun-grabbing views upon local governments, rather than antagonize at the federal level.

According to a Tulsa World article, LCAV staff attorney Lindsay Nicholls says:

Police are often called to a scene because someone has a weapon, and responders can't quickly determine whether the gun is owned legally.

HB 3354 will allow only trained persons with a concealed carry to open carry.If a police officer is concerned about whether the person with a gun is carrying legally or not, Oklahoma law requires the permit holder to immediately provide proof of legality.Attorney Nicholls should read the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act (good advice for a lawyer) before stating inaccuracies.In addition, a 2006 FBI study states that criminals will not openly carry a firearm; they either conceal it or they brandish it when they are committing the crime.The following quote is from a U.S. News and World Report article from last week:

The 2006 FBI study "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers" by Anthony Pinizzotto revealed that criminals carefully conceal their firearms, and they eschew the use of holsters. In layman's terms, this report tells us that, statistically speaking, citizens who are openly wearing a properly holstered handgun and are willing to subject themselves to the intense public and law enforcement scrutiny that open carry brings with it are not criminals.
In all my conversations with law enforcement, almost all say they would rather a person they are contacting have the firearm out in the open where they can see it, rather than have one concealed.

Attorney Nicholls goes on to say:

There's no way for officers to know that people are just exercising their rights.

I might be biased toward Oklahomans, but doesn’t this quote sound a little condescending, coming from an elite lawyer from California?Using the phrase, “just exercising their rights” in that sentence reeks of the insinuation we shouldn’t be trusted with our rights.Furthermore, police should not be called if a person is not breaking the law.

How are Oklahoma citizens going to react to liberal Californians telling them how to write gun laws?We shall soon see, because HB 3354 will come up for House vote in the coming week.Interested parties should contact their representative very soon and let them know how they feel.

markm

imported post

Hey WC,

Thanks, that was an interesting read. Nicely formatted.

markm

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I get the feeling that LCAV is comprised of lawyers who slept through constitutional law. Why they're at it, they can start telling states about how they need to have their police officers demand ID from any two people standing next to each other to make sure that they are allowed to be assembled and have the necessary permits. I'm so sick of states and their obsession with identification. I'm just going to stop carrying my license unless I'm specifically driving as a silent protest.

dennymc56

imported post

Why do we care what the heck California thinks about our state having 'open carry'???? They need to mind their own business and stay out of ours! The ones from California who have moved to Arizona are trying to screw up the way the Arizona citizens have done things with their gun laws. They need to sit down, hold on and shut up!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

dennymc56 wrote:
The ones from California who have moved to Arizona are trying to screw up the way the Arizona citizens have done things with their gun laws. They need to sit down, hold on and shut up!
Obviously they're not succeeding. AZ is becoming more free, despite the "transplants."