• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia's Monticello is a Gun-Free Zone

Tweaker

imported post

Thanks, and I agree with you. I just don't like those who do not have a CCW to be restricted either.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

Tess wrote:
I visited last summer, but carried concealed. Not only was I with my parents, but I was ill. Should I have needed medical attention, my parents could have taken my bag to safety.

I specifically looked for signs, but saw none.
My traveling companion and I did the same when we went last year, September 11 actually. He concealed, I'm too skinny to conceal on my person when it's hot out and I wasn't carrying a purse. : ) I had seen someones posting earlier about being asked to conceal so we chose to not make an issue out of it and just go and enjoy our trip.

ChinChin

imported post

Mike wrote:
SAvage410 wrote:
was informed that Monticello, of all places, was a "Gun Free Zone" - despite the fact that there were no posted markings to that effect visible to me.
Why, why, why do people keep bringing up posting as if they SHOULD post - if you bring it up, they will come.

Please stop the madness.
So are you infering people should avoid the post/no post issue by conceal carry, cause apparently CC is a dirty word which as of late makes people go super zombie insane, frothing at the mouth and exploding at those who support it.

W.E.G.

imported post

I'm of the belief that many people open-carry for the purpose of desensitizing the fearful.

By making a fuss about "not seeing any signs," you are begging them to post signs.

The more places that get posted with signs, the more likely people will regard the signs as acceptable.
Don't be a part of this problem.

We need to focus on getting the EXISTING signs removed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Mike wrote:
SAvage410 wrote:
was informed that Monticello, of all places, was a "Gun Free Zone" - despite the fact that there were no posted markings to that effect visible to me.
Why, why, why do people keep bringing up posting as if they SHOULD post - if you bring it up, they will come.

Please stop the madness.
So are you infering people should avoid the post/no post issue by conceal carry, cause apparently CC is a dirty word which as of late makes people go super zombie insane, frothing at the mouth and exploding at those who support it.
Since I'm one of the biggest frothers, I guess I can respond to that Chin Chin.

First, I disagree 100% with Mikes idea. If a place is anti gun, I'd like to know about it before I either spend money there or get tossed out.

Second, I'm in no way anti concealed carry..either with or without a permit, but since it's bad to encourage people to break the law, I don't.

What I am against is supporting laws that put CHP holders on a pedestal above common OC'ers. Perks4Permits.

I'm just as opposed to laws that put CC'ers at a disadvantage like the Restaurant bill.
I strongly supported reform for the reasons above.

As far as discussion about CC here, some of it is justifiable as in this case where people want o go in Monticello but aren't allowed to have a weapon...CC discussion is understandable.

In other cases like supporting P4P laws..no, IMO, it should go elsewhere. This board is called Open Carry, not just "Carry".

That's like going on an organic growers site and discussing the best chemical insecticide to protect Frankencorn, or

going on a Digital Photography site and talking about paper developers causing excessive grain on Tri-X Film.

CC'ers aren't an enemy. They are brother gun owners.

P4P'ers are no better than child molesters though.

This is or is supposed to be ....an Open carry Board, and with the associated exceptions noted above, should be about open carry.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

peter nap wrote:
That's like going on an organic growers site and discussing the best chemical insecticide to protect Frankencorn

Is Frankencorn anything like Frankenberries? :)

frankenberry.jpg

Fenris

imported post

TFred wrote:
Mike wrote:
SAvage410 wrote:
 was informed that Monticello, of all places, was a "Gun Free Zone" - despite the fact that there were no posted markings to that effect visible to me

Please stop the madness.
Not to speak about anyone personally, but in general I think it's just ingrained in our culture to be told what to do, and to ask to be told what to do.  We have to make an effort to overcome it.

Fortunately, hanging out around here for a while goes a long way towards that effort. :D

TFred
I can not agree more. Please stop asking for posting. Please stop asking about posting. Please stop saying you didn't see it.

No facility ever changes their mind and says "Oh? We did n't post? Well come right in sir."

Please stop. Please.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm with the group that doesn't ask about signs.

However, I *do* look for signs, because I, too, want to know if someone doesn't want me there.

occva

imported post

PF has a no firearms policy. It was not posted at the time I left andI never saw anyone carry there.

You might get away with it depending on who is working.

VAopencarry

imported post

No facility ever changes their mind and says "Oh? We did n't post? Well come right in sir."
EXACTLY!!!!!

What happens is you still can't bring in your gun and a month later there is a No Guns sign.

Then others starts seeing no guns signs and think,...hmmm, maybe I need to put a No Gun sign up at my business and it snowballs.imo

Dreamer

imported post

SAvage410 wrote:
Pointing to my legally carried sidearm, I was informed that Monticello, of all places, was a "Gun Free Zone" - despite the fact that there were no posted markings to that effect visible to me. Fortunately I had the means available to secure my weapon, and my wife and I were able to continue the tour.

While I understand that Monticello is now owned by your private foundation and respect your property rights, you should know several things:

Firstly, given the history of Thomas Jefferson himself, I can think of no higher affront to the memory of the man who penned our Declaration of Independence, thereby sparking our War of Independence.

I certainly hope the current owners are not getting their electric power from the main "grid". They should just hook a generator up to Jefferson's grave--they would have enough surplus electricity they could sell it to neighboring counties... :banghead:

buster81

imported post

I just got an e-mail from the Thomas Jefferson Foundation today that said in part:

Support our work
-------------------------

Help the Thomas Jefferson Foundation keep Jefferson's legacy alive by supporting its broad program of education and preservation.

I sent them back a message and let them know that I could not support their efforts because they dishonor Jefferson's Legacy with theirsecret firearms policy.

SAvage410

imported post

buster81 wrote:
I just got an e-mail today that said in part:

Support our work

Help the Thomas Jefferson Foundation keep Jefferson's legacy alive by supporting its broad program of education and preservation.

I sent them back a message and let them know that I could not support their efforts because they dishonored Jefferson Legacy with theirsecret firearms policy.
If anyone else wishes to comment directly, their website has a link for that:

http://www.monticello.org/contact.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nemo wrote:
Is this the same private organization that runs the MLK memorial, and keeps the black visitors out?
What? Cite to source please.

Yata hey