• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEWS FLASH on Fingerprint and Criminal History Delays

Edward Peruta

imported post

This information should shed some light on what happens when you pay for and have your fingerprints taken by local issuing authorities for Pistol Permits.

My suggestion is the have your fingerprints taken and State and NATIONAL Criminal HIstory Records Check done by and at DPS in Middletown on the day you intend to submit your local Pistol Permit application.

Take your State and National Criminal History Records Check and fingerprint cards to the local issuing authority and submit same with your application. If you take advantage of the SAME DAY service at DPS, you may be able to short circuiti the delays caused by having locals doing it.

Response to questions asked today:

Sir,

As per you phone call this morning, I have been told by SPBI personnel that there are approximately 120 fingerprint cards associated with handgun permits waiting to be scanned; AND there are approximately 20 fingerprint cards associated with handgun permits that have been scanned (with results received from the FBI) that are awaiting review and mailing out to the local authorities. It should be noted that these numbers change daily, if not hourly, and that these numbers were obtained from SPBI at approximately 0910 hours today.

I have previously been told by SPBI personnel that from the time fingerprint cards associated with handgun permits are received, until they are mailed out to local authorities is approximately 6-7 weeks (depending on volume of work).

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Sincerely,

Tpr. Hatfield

zipsil

imported post

Hi I am new to firearms and am trying to get my pistol permit. This is my first post so my apologies if I don't quite understand the procedure.

Needless to say I am finding the PD in my town (Avon) not interested in providing any kind of service....the procedure for my town says call the LT and make an appointment, but she never answers her phone or returns messages...but anyway, the info you posted seems like it can solve a couple problems in one shot and be faster but I am not sure exactly what to do or ask for when I go to DPS.

I go to the same place in middletown where I would get my pistol permit if I already had my Temp Permit and ask them to do a FBI records check on myself(which includes fingerprinting) and give them a check for 19.25? they give me a copy of that and I submit it with my app to the PD?

My plan was to go to the PD on Monday and get the thing submitted, but if I can get the fingerprinting done at DPS and bring it to the PD it sounds like sure beats waiting for DPS to stick it in the mail, plus I don't "have to make an appointment" with the PD I can just hand it to them and call it "submitted"

Thanks a lot for this info
Jon

Rich B

imported post

I am of the opinion you are best to visit the PD in person and hand it to them in person, but I have heard a good idea of sending it certified mail. That way you get the confirmation of receipt as proof that it was submitted.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Have DPS do a WALK IN STATE and NATIONAL Criminal HistoryRecord/Background check by submitting fingerprints using their LIVE SCAN process.

You should be able to walk out with a hard copy of your fingerprints and a receipt that you have paid for a STATE andNATIONAL Crminal History Records Check.

Submit everything required by the local P.D. via Certified mail together with the copy of your fingerprints and the receipt.

You might go to www.ctgunrights.com and find more information on topics of interest.

Ed Peruta

zipsil

imported post

Thank you for the info, I have read some of the tips on www.ctgunrights.com

I will be going to DPS on monday to take care of this, and right now the only questions I have are:

will I have to submit a check with my app for the DPS fingerprinting/background check that I will have just had done? or can I leave that out?

should I address the certified mail to the chief of PD? the detective division? no one?

when they don't get back to me after a week I can immediately file an appeal with the BFPE? or am I starting at step 5 in the Application.documents.suggestions.pdf ?

basically I am going and getting my own state/fed background check at DPS, and giving my fingerprints to the PD who will send them to DPS who will already have my background check on file and just send that to the PD instead of starting over from scratch?

Thank you for your help and patience I really appreciate it

Jon

Edward Peruta

imported post

Go to SPBI/DPS in Middletown.

Submit to fingerprinting and pay for a State and National Criminal History Record Check.

I believe that DPS is capable of providing you with the results in a very timely manner.

If possible, leave the building with the hard copy results of the State and National Criminal History Checks and the receipt showing that you have paid the fees.

If possible, hand deliver your Permit to Carry application with the documentation from SPBI/DPS on the same day or as soon as possible after receiving the results.

Get the name of the person you had your application to or send it certified with a tracking number,addressed to the issuing authority that will sign any temporary permit. This could be a Chief or First Selectman.

If necessary and you feel more comfortable, ask to meet with and discuss your actions with the issuing authority. Explain your concerns about possible delays and ask him or her to refer to Conn. General Statutes Sections 29-29 for guidance on whether or not he needs to take any additional fingerprints. You can point out that they are not required for applicants who have been previously fingerprinted.

If you run into trouble, you can file your appeal with the Board based on DELAY, and withdraw your appeal if you are issued prior to any hearing.

zipsil

imported post

Well I am back from my DPS and PD adventure, it was not successful. In retrospect I should have just applied for a eligibility certificate while I was at DPS.

I went to SPBI and I got fingerprinted, the tech was extremely rude, unhelpful and convinced I was wasting my time.

I got my fingerprints taken and received the state and federal cards, he told me my town might not accept them because they might have different standards. He said that people were misinformed in their efforts to speed up the process and should follow their town procedures, I told him my situation were I cant make an appointment to get the fingerprints done in town and he said I should go down there and "straighten it out".

I asked for the State and Federal background checks to be done he said no. I should have pressed harder but like I said he was very rude. How bout and "open holster" event where we all go and request background checks on ourselves?

So on my way home I stopped at the PD and tried to submit it there, the dispatcher told me to do what I have already been doing, calling the Det Lt for an appointment.

On the bright side, my application is totally complete...I have absolutely everything required, so I think I will try calling one more time and then send it certified mail. The information from the local PD suggests that they are requiring an interview and I am sure like the 3 letters this is not required by CT law.

If I submit my app thru certified mail I am basically guaranteeing that I have to appeal to the board of examiners?

Thanks
Jon

GoldCoaster

imported post

Did you get the name of the technician? that kind of rudeness should not be allowed to go unprotested. I'm hoping you were polite and it was all on him/her?

The tech doing the printing should not really have any opinions on what you wanted to do nor why.

Yes you should have applied for the EC while you were there, seems a bit of a half visit if you didn't. They would have had to do the background check on you for the EC so the need for it would not have been in question.

zipsil

imported post

Well I didn't ask his name, and his signature on the card is totally illegible

I was very polite when I was dealing with him, he asked why I was there, what town I was from, a few you people should follow the procedure the town gives you's

and when I asked for the background checks he asked my why I wanted it...I wish I had been more forward...I mean people get there credit reports to see what the credit companies have on them, why cant a citizen get there background check? he acted like I was crazy to even ask...of course I have never been fingerprinted before today let alone arrested for anything.

The whole experience was a total drag.

I debating about going back next week and getting the EC, if I apply for that do they give me back my birth certificate and NRA certificate because I will need to put those in with the permit.

Tazman2

imported post

Its the same guy. He asked a lot of "whys" with a rude face/tone in his voice. Young guy about 25-30? ;) I believe you want copies of those important documents to give to them! NEVER EVER trust them/anybody with your originals. Stuff gets "lost" a lot especially when it comes to the state! :X

zipsil

imported post

yes your description fits him exactly.

The trouble with copies is they want a certified copy of the birth certificate. I made copies but for legal purposes( I need to use it for a passport app too as well as the pistol permit/EC) they only will take the real deal.

zipsil

imported post

I don't think that it was any issue of a backlog when I talked to the tech he gave me the impression that I couldn't get the backround check done because I want entitled to have it done.

I am still having no response from my PD about the appointment. Ed do they keep the birth certifiicate when you submit for the EC?

Thanks alot

zipsil

imported post

I went back to DPS today and applied for the EC it went very well, everyone was very professional. I would even say they were actually nice.

So when I get my EC, I can apply for my permit to the town and not pay the fee's for the state and federal fingerprinting and background check?

I was just going to put a letter in there saying I tried to do it their way and no one returned my calls and that my fingerprints and background check are on file at DPS. I was also going to put in the letter included with the "permit to carry time" document on the CCDL web site.

I have left another message for the Detective that is in charge of pistol permits and unsurprisingly she has not returned my call, I also went to the PD and she wasn't there.

Thanks

GoldCoaster

imported post

If you haven't heard back by the time you get the EC back, I'd call your mayor or first selectman and work through them since the PD doesn't seem that interested in calling you back.