• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Day I’ll Join The NRA

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Whenever or whatever pro-gun legislation is passed... NRA gets the credit by default. NRA is the only 'gun' group the media is anecdotally familiar with. The anti's automatically ascribe the NRA with the promulgation of'talking points' it never formulated.

Truth is... the NRA has become acorporation of FUDD's for FUDD's that has muddled it's reason for being.It's primary function seems to be making money for the sake of making money. I'm talkin' advertising. Guns for the sake of the shooting sports, not self-defense under RKBA. Particularly the openly'bearing' part devoid of the government contrivances of permit, license, registration and regulation. In essence... they caved in to allthat long ago. Moreover... became a willing party to CCW (by permit for a price) andpromotion of 'training' (for a price) by NRA agents.They promoted the 'training' angle as apre-requisiteto the otherwise free exercise of a right. Altho NRA has a column 'The Armed Citizen' in American Rifleman magazine... the citizen is normally 'at home or place of business' in such defensive situations. I don't recall any of these tales happening 'on the street'. Another point... guns areseldom referred to as 'weapons'. NRA is rapidly becoming irrelevant as a voice for the 2A.

Nobody ever hears about JPFO... AzCDL or the aggresssive pro-2A organizations. The media doesn't comprehend what OCDOis (or isn't). I'm still a yearly member of NRA... if only for their magazine. All the rest of their excessive mailings and solicitations get trashed. I have yet to see the national results I expectfor my money. Living in Arizona... NRA has become even less relevent. AzCDL has accomplished in a few years what the NRA never did in it's history.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Whenever or whatever pro-gun legislation is passed... NRA gets the credit by default. NRA is the only 'gun' group the media is anecdotally familiar with. The anti's automatically ascribe the NRA with the promulgation of'talking points' it never formulated.

Truth is... the NRA has become acorporation of FUDD's for FUDD's that has muddled it's reason for being.It's primary function seems to be making money for the sake of making money. I'm talkin' advertising. Guns for the sake of the shooting sports, not self-defense under RKBA. Particularly the openly'bearing' part devoid of the government contrivances of permit, license, registration and regulation. In essence... they caved in to allthat long ago. Moreover... became a willing party to CCW (by permit for a price) andpromotion of 'training' (for a price) by NRA agents.They promoted the 'training' angle as apre-requisiteto the otherwise free exercise of a right. Altho NRA has a column 'The Armed Citizen' in American Rifleman magazine... the citizen is normally 'at home or place of business' in such defensive situations. I don't recall any of these tales happening 'on the street'. Another point... guns areseldom referred to as 'weapons'. NRA is rapidly becoming irrelevant as a voice for the 2A.

Nobody ever hears about JPFO... AzCDL or the aggresssive pro-2A organizations. The media doesn't comprehend what OCDOis (or isn't). I'm still a yearly member of NRA... if only for their magazine. All the rest of their excessive mailings and solicitations get trashed. I have yet to see the national results I expectfor my money. Living in Arizona... NRA has become even less relevent. AzCDL has accomplished in a few years what the NRA never did in it's history.
According to Scott (somebody-or-other) from the NRA, the Constitutional Carry you got this year would have been "absolutely unattainable" without NRA efforts.

IF any of their staff had any credibility with me, that blew it out of the water.

I'm a life member, so that I can vote, but they're even crapping on that by disenfranchising me from their meetings. Absentee is all I have.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Tess wrote:
According to Scott (somebody-or-other) from the NRA, the Constitutional Carry you got this year would have been "absolutely unattainable" without NRA efforts.

IF any of their staff had any credibility with me, that blew it out of the water.

I'm a life member, so that I can vote, but they're even crapping on that by disenfranchising me from their meetings. Absentee is all I have.
What efforts? NRA had nothing whateverto do with Constitutional Carry. Apparently tho they're ready and willing to take all the credit. The credit belongs to AzCDL and it's membership.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Tess wrote:

What efforts? NRA had nothing whateverto do with Constitutional Carry. Apparently tho they're ready and willing to take all the credit. The credit belongs to AzCDL and it's membership.

Oh, I fully understand. I'm on the AzCDL e-mail list, and was watching carefully how hard you folks worked.

Tomahawk

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Tess wrote:

NRA is full of crap. Worse than just taking credit, they sometimes act at cross purposes with pro-RKBA groups. A few years ago the NRA worked a deal behind our backs that screwed Virginians over guns in airport buildings. I'm still pissed about that.

That they have the nerve to take credit for stuff they didn't support, like National Park carry, really steams me. On NP carry they waited to see if it actually had a chance to pass and then jumped on the bandwagon. NRA's name no doubt helped it in the end, but the fact that were willing to look the other way unless it was looking good says something about them.

AzCDL should handle it the way VCDL handles it: just keep on doing what you're doing and if the NRA wants to jump aboard at some point, so be it. Otherwise, don't count on them for anything.

And watch your back when you see them sneaking around in the statehouse.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

This 'taking credit' for our Constitutional Carryis contemptable... the moreI think about it, the more pissed I get. NRA just lost a long term member. (ME!) I'll notbe renewingmy membership.

In fact... I'm gonna send my card back to 'em with a note to the effect of the above 'taking credit' crap. :cuss:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
This 'taking credit' for our Constitutional Carryis contemptable... the moreI think about it, the more pissed I get. NRA just lost a long term member. (ME!) I'll notbe renewingmy membership.

In fact... I'm gonna send my card back to 'em with a note to the effect of the above 'taking credit' crap. :cuss:

Scott Christman's e-mail to me says, in part,

We worked very closely with AZCDL on the constitutional carry bill but there is zero chance that bill would not have gotten done without the active support and lobbying efforts of the NRA. The same applies in VA. Unlike you, we're happy to have the support of other pro-gun groups in the states.

Tomahawk

imported post

Tess wrote:
Scott Christman's e-mail to me says, in part,

We worked very closely with AZCDL on the constitutional carry bill but there is zero chance that bill would not have gotten done without the active support and lobbying efforts of the NRA. The same applies in VA. Unlike you, we're happy to have the support of other pro-gun groups in the states.
What an azzhole.That smug arrogant attitude is par for the course with political insiders and wannabes.

BTW, "there is zero chance that bill would not have gotten done without the active support and lobbying efforts of the NRA"

Sounds like a double-negative to me. Fruedian slip?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Oh you are absolutely right about the Nuge and his views.

I don't agree with everything he says but I still like him, he reminds me of my Uncle.

Very demonstrative and entertaining to listen too.
I'm your Uncle?:what:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Apparently Ted is as cluless re: the reasons for OCing as many other gun-owners, lots of CCers and of course, the general public.

Maybe someone just hasn't explained it all to him so he just doesn't get it. If after hearing the reasons for OCing and he STILLwould beagainst it, that would be highly disappointing and he would losea lot ofrespect, at least from me (of course, he wouldn't lose any sleep over that).

-- John D.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
Uncle Ted is also anti-OC. This past week, in an interview on Cam and Company of NRA News, he quite plainly said so.
ORLY? Got a link? Not that it surprises me.
I'm not entirely sure how to pull it up. It was on the NRA's NRA news website http://home.nra.org/#/nranewsand either Friday May 7 or Monday May 10 on the "Cam and company" show. It was his last interview before the convention.