• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Gunfight Interview

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Two interesting points that I took away. The first is that the lawyer was letting him talk about the event to the press (just not the concealed weapon bit). The second is that the lawyer claims that one of the guy's rounds went down the barrel of the shotgun. That's flat out amazing if it's true.

markm

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Two interesting points that I took away. The first is that the lawyer was letting him talk about the event to the press (just not the concealed weapon bit). The second is that the lawyer claims that one of the guy's rounds went down the barrel of the shotgun. That's flat out amazing if it's true.

Hey Bigtoe,

Do you think the lawyer is going public with the story as he wants the legal issues confronting his client (armed citizen) to become political and not legal?

Political pressure has forced LEO and DAs to back-down before.

I believe the press conference was a tactical move with strategic implications.

Your thoughts?

markm

bigtoe416

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Do you think the lawyer is going public with the story as he wants the legal issues confronting his client (armed citizen) to become political and not legal?

I definitely think the lawyer sees some sort of advantage to having his client talk to the media. I couldn't figure out what that advantage may be, but I think you make a great point. In addition, if Omaha has been treating his client as a hero, then he stands to populate the jury pool with people who wouldn't convict his client of the concealed weapon charge.

markm

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:

I definitely think the lawyer sees some sort of advantage to having his client talk to the media. I couldn't figure out what that advantage may be, but I think you make a great point. In addition, if Omaha has been treating his client as a hero, then he stands to populate the jury pool with people who wouldn't convict his client of the concealed weapon charge.

Hey Bigtoe,

Can you discern what the CCW charge is about? It seems as the armed citizen has an Omaha City CCW, but does not have a Nebraska CCW. Does that seem correct to you?

markm

Iopencarry

bigtoe416

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Can you discern what the CCW charge is about? It seems as the armed citizen has an Omaha City CCW, but does not have a Nebraska CCW. Does that seem correct to you?
My understanding is that Omaha has a carry license for open carry, but he is being charged with carrying a concealed weapon since he pulled the gun from his waistband. Not entirely sure if that's 100% accurate though.

Iopencarry

imported post

that is correct,

however, if you read my links, and my last post, you will find that NO charges will be filed.

The DA said it would be impossible to prove that "any" part of the gun was NOT able to be seen.