• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Convention Silent Protest

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

[copied from the North Carolina Forum]

I am considering my own silent protest of the inability to carry while at the NRA convention in a few weeks. Thinking about wearing my Ruger T-shirt (tucked in), and an empty holster on my hip, along with an empty double mag pouch. I figure if a bunch of people were to do that it wouldn't go unnoticed. Good idea? Stupid idea? Sound off:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was actually considering a protest sign outside that said something like "The NRA doesn't want this life member inside."

Thoreau

imported post

It should be noted that the NRA, at least historically, does not actively prohibit firearms at their conventions. In fact, quite the opposite.

The Phoenix event a year or two ago was held at the Phoenix convention center which has a liquor license, thus, at the time, made firearms illegal there. The NRA actually got the state to temporarily suspend the liquor license and thus made it possible to carry there. I OC'ed my XDm 40 without issue for the duration, and I definitely wasn't alone.=)

In other words, make sure that it isn't a venue/state law limitation first as it may not even be up to them. I will say that it was something of an anomaly for the state liquor board to make that kind of exception, but the NRA certainly had no issue in the end using it's clout to pull it off.

Yikes, just read this on the NRA site:

"North Carolina State law prohibits the carrying of firearms in the Charlotte Convention Center, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. In addition, the Rules and Regulations of the Charlotte Convention Center prohibit the carrying of firearms in the Center. Pursuant to Time Warner Cable Arena policy, all individuals entering the Arena will be subject to a magnetometer security check."

Just a tad draconian to include a 'magnetometer' security check. Then again, coming from Time Warner... Sounds like the NRA either got lazy on finding a SUITABLE venue, or ran out of options. Darn shame. We would've happily welcomed them back to Phoenix for a 2nd year in a row =)

eye95

imported post

I would think the NRA would make that ability to carry a criteria for selecting the site of their meetings. I don't do business with places that don't allow me to carry.

rodbender

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I would think the NRA would make that ability to carry a criteria for selecting the site of their meetings. I don't do business with places that don't allow me to carry.
I was thinking the same. I, too, do no business in GFZ's unless required by law (courts, federal buildings,etc.).

zoom6zoom

imported post

Since we boycotted the Republican Roundup, I think the message should be consistent. I was planning on attending the Convention but changed my plans, and messaged the NRA that this Patron member won't be attending, and why.

I think I'll also drop the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce a note with an estimate of what I would have been spending in their locale on food, hotel, and such.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Looky at this:
http://www.saysuncle.com/2010/05/05/nra-on-convention-carry/

NRA on Convention Carry

Some gun blogs were upset about it. So, I decided to ask NRA folks about the rules/laws forbidding carry at their annual meeting. NRA explains:

The claim that NRA does not want members to carry is flat out wrong. Both Phoenix and Louisville allowed concealed and open carry in the convention center. In fact, NRA fought to make sure attendees could carry at those locations.

In Charlotte, just like in every city that we have held our annual meeting, NRA is bound by legal and contractual obligations. We were unable to remove the prohibition due to state, city and convention center regulations.

Some people have mentioned an exception under the law for “A person participating in the event, if a person is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.” This exception has two prongs. First, the person must be a participant. Second, the person must have permission.

While some may suggest that NRA could be the one giving permission, the reality is that NRA would not be the one who would determine whether or not someone is a participant. A prosecutor, judge, and jury would be ultimately making that determination.

Even if NRA declared all attendees participants, a prosecutor could argue that he/she was an attendee, spectator, guest of a member or a ticket holder, so that could not be relied on for a legal defense. And, in the end, it is the person with the gun who would be prosecuted. This is indeed a gray area, but without a clear exception there is a serious risk of arrest and prosecution, and NRA does not want our members risking prosecution.

The fact is if NRA only went to places that allowed CCW in convention centers, we would be limited to 2 or 3 choices. Because of the size of NRA’s conventions, we already are limited with our choices of cities that can accommodate us. We also strive to have regional balance to allow members from all over the country to attend. People should also be mindful that NRA has worked to change laws all over the country. With incremental wins, those who may not be able to carry in a certain location today may be able to do so down the road. After all, Arizona’s gun laws have come long way since we were there last year.
Posted in
uncategorized on May 5th, 2010 by SayUncle | RSS 2.0 |

http://www.saysuncle.com/2010/05/05/nra-on-convention-carry/I'm not saying I am 100% in agreement, and I am definately saying I am nowhere near 100% in support of the NRA, but I think this might be a red herring of an issue.

stay safe.

skidmark

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Looky at this:

NRA on Convention Carry

Some gun blogs were upset about it. So, I decided to ask NRA folks about the rules/laws forbidding carry at their annual meeting. NRA explains:

The claim that NRA does not want members to carry is flat out wrong. Both Phoenix and Louisville allowed concealed and open carry in the convention center. In fact, NRA fought to make sure attendees could carry at those locations.

In Charlotte, just like in every city that we have held our annual meeting, NRA is bound by legal and contractual obligations. We were unable to remove the prohibition due to state, city and convention center regulations.

Some people have mentioned an exception under the law for “A person participating in the event, if a person is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.” This exception has two prongs. First, the person must be a participant. Second, the person must have permission.

While some may suggest that NRA could be the one giving permission, the reality is that NRA would not be the one who would determine whether or not someone is a participant. A prosecutor, judge, and jury would be ultimately making that determination.

Even if NRA declared all attendees participants, a prosecutor could argue that he/she was an attendee, spectator, guest of a member or a ticket holder, so that could not be relied on for a legal defense. And, in the end, it is the person with the gun who would be prosecuted. This is indeed a gray area, but without a clear exception there is a serious risk of arrest and prosecution, and NRA does not want our members risking prosecution.

The fact is if NRA only went to places that allowed CCW in convention centers, we would be limited to 2 or 3 choices. Because of the size of NRA’s conventions, we already are limited with our choices of cities that can accommodate us. We also strive to have regional balance to allow members from all over the country to attend. People should also be mindful that NRA has worked to change laws all over the country. With incremental wins, those who may not be able to carry in a certain location today may be able to do so down the road. After all, Arizona’s gun laws have come long way since we were there last year.
Posted in

I'm not saying I am 100% in agreement, and I am definately saying I am nowhere near 100% in support of the NRA, but I think this might be a red herring of an issue.

stay safe.

skidmark
Yeah, that same "2-3 places" claim got made on LinkedIn, too. I'd throw the BS flag if I had the data to back me up, but I believe it to be hyperbole.

Which would you rather -- 2-3 places and an NRA that stands up for what it believes in, or giving up rights?

buster81

imported post

Tess wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Looky at this:

NRA on Convention Carry

Posted in

I'm not saying I am 100% in agreement, and I am definately saying I am nowhere near 100% in support of the NRA, but I think this might be a red herring of an issue.

stay safe.

skidmark
Yeah, that same "2-3 places" claim got made on LinkedIn, too. I'd throw the BS flag if I had the data to back me up, but I believe it to be hyperbole.

Which would you rather -- 2-3 places and an NRA that stands up for what it believes in, or giving up rights?
Sounds like they did lots of research. Is it 2 or3 places? Either way, rotate through those2or 3and standby your priciples, oronly accept membershipfrom FUD'swho don't belive in self defence. I've told them what I think and will not be renewing my membership until they change.