• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT Stabbing in a Target

Magix

imported post

http://cbs4.com/national/Target.stabbing.spree.2.1672681.html

It really could happen anywhere, anytime, and to anyone.

Edit:
[sup]Calif. Woman Goes On Stabbing Spree At Target[/sup][sub][sup]Off-Duty Sheriff's Deputy Clay Grant Credited With Stopping Assailant[/sup][/sub] [sub][sup]ose[/sup][/sub]
[align=center]

numSlides of totalImag [/align] "A Bay Area woman who stabbed and wounded four people in a busy Southern California Target store on Monday afternoon was arrested when an off-duty sheriff's deputy pulled his gun and ordered the woman to the ground as screaming shoppers ran from the building, authorities said.

The deputy said he pursued Layla Rosetta Trawick, of Antioch, who was wielding two large knives through a West Hollywood Target store, before he arrested her on suspicion of attempted murder. She was being held on $1 million bail.

The 34-year-old Trawick started randomly stabbing people with two blades - a butcher's knife and a carving knife - about 12:45 p.m., according to witnesses.

"She was literally walking up and down the aisles slashing people," explained Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore, who said Trawick was using both blades at the same time - one in each hand, like in the movie "Psycho."

While off-duty sheriff's Deputy Clay Grant Jr. was picking up paper towels and other items in the store, he said he saw Trawick, grabbed his duty weapon and ordered her to drop the knives; she then ran away and he chased her through the store.

Grant - wearing a white T-shirt, camouflage shorts and running shoes - said he followed Trawick from aisle to aisle, until she turned and waved the knives at him from above her head.

But he decided not to shoot because he didn't feel his life was in jeopardy, he said. For a second time, he ordered her to drop the knives and finally she complied."

Mainsail

imported post

Magix wrote:
It really could happen anywhere, anytime, and to anyone.

What could happen anywhere, anytime, and to anyone? All I see here is a blind link that could take me who-knows-where.

Post a short blurb from the story. Internet links are often severed, and two weeks from now nobody will know what this is about.

deanf

imported post

Assuming he had a clear and safe shot when he first encountered her, the deputy's response was tactically in error.

She could have stabbed other people after he first ordered her to stop. She should have been shot immediately.

Magix

imported post

If it were you (anyone here), do you think your response would have been to leave the store with the other customers? I'm just curious because I still don't know what my response would be. It'd be a very tense and scary situation. They always say call the police and let them handle it. Just thoughts...

joeroket

imported post

Magix wrote:
If it were you (anyone here), do you think your response would have been to leave the store with the other customers? I'm just curious because I still don't know what my response would be. It'd be a very tense and scary situation. They always say call the police and let them handle it. Just thoughts...

My response would have been just as Dean said. Shoot to neutralize the threat.

Batousaii

imported post

- Threat identified..... knives waving, stabbing motion, blood from victims.... calculate reaction.

Schedule her for termination.

- Threat neutralized -

- keep shopping -

oldkim

imported post

Yes, I guess we can all say... this or that and pick at this or that....

Every situation is unique. From just the play by play. Seems he was aware of what she was doing (stabbling and slashing people). He ran into her and confronted her... she took off... chased and finally got her "cornered." He felt not threatened enough and decided to use persuation rather than lethal force.

Just playing the "devil's advocate."

For me, I too, agree that once she presented those knives in a threatening manner - 2 shots and then decide to shoot again or not.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I'd like to think I would've done the same as the deputy if I was there by myself. If she had attempted to attack me or anyone else, down she goes.
If I was with my family I probably would have drawn and retreated out of the store, unless of course she was attacking us directly.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I see someone slashing people willy-nilly, I am going to do what I can to stop it.

One victim was carrying a baby for goodness sake. How many more victims would there have been if people just waited for the police to arrive?

"Luckily" an off duty officer was there, what if no off duty cops were? Folks should not have to rely on police as their first line of defense.

I don't think anyone would question if the decision to shoot was made. As another pointed out, by not shooting and having to chase her through the store, it could have offered more victims or created a hostage situation.

Also due to the chase, some thought the good guy was a bad guy.

Magix

imported post

911Boss wrote:
I see someone slashing people willy-nilly, I am going to do what I can to stop it.

One victim was carrying a baby for goodness sake. How many more victims would there have been if people just waited for the police to arrive?

"Luckily" an off duty officer was there, what if no off duty cops were? Folks should not have to rely on police as their first line of defense.

I don't think anyone would question if the decision to shoot was made. As another pointed out, by not shooting and having to chase her through the store, it could have offered more victims or created a hostage situation.

Also due to the chase, some thought the good guy was a bad guy.
Yes. I agree with those reasons. My reaction would probably change depending if I had my family with me too like trevor said.

Tomas

imported post

Sadly, as a handicapped individual I would be unable to pursue her through the store, so I would probably have made the choice to drop her to stop the threat to others, and do it before she had eluded me...

But not actually being there I don't actually know.

kenzmad

imported post

glad he was one of the off duty to actually carry. so many do not.

kenzmad