• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to Leave Holiday Store in Fairbanks

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Well I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Monday May 3, 2010 on the way home from work I stopped by the Holiday store to pick up some things. After waiting in line I got up to the register and before I could say anything, I was told to take my gun outside. The clerk told me it was against store policy to have guns in the store. I left my items on the counter and walked out of the store.

I sent off a quick email to the corporate office and this is the reply that I received this morning.

“Dear Mr. Gilligan,
I sincerely apologize for the confusion with you carrying a weapon into
our store and being asked to leave. We follow the State of Alaska policy
on carrying a weapon. I have sent your message to the district manager
and he will inform the employees at the store so you should not
experience this in the future. Apparently the employee did not
understand the policy in Alaska but they will be informed of the policy.
Sincerely,
Roger Veum
Mgr of Customer Service”

imported post

Now that you have documented the official corporate policy, you may consider REFUSING to leave in the future event some hired hand has a personal agenda against your weapon.
Who knows, you may wind up with a new car or motorcycle !!!

Wirelesscto

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Now that you have documented the official corporate policy, you may consider REFUSING to leave in the future event some hired hand has a personal agenda against your weapon.
Who knows, you may wind up with a new car or motorcycle !!!

Refuse By state statue may end up in Tresspass so be ready and have document to take to court....

But Carry Away and take the email to the counter people that should stop them from call the tresspass.

It has work in Wellsfargo as well as Mt Mckinley and home depot in the past for me I carry all my emails and letters in every car just in case i need to prove a point...

Read my delta Post of today AKshooter and see if you cannot get it in the paper up there for me..

Brian

Wirelesscto

imported post

Tom

Per the map on this site it says a 14 year old may open carry can you point that to that part of the law becasue If I find it My 14 year old will be carrying this weekend!!!!

Brian

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Brian,

It is part of 11.61.220. (a) (3) I didn't copy the entire statute, I stopped at the section that is pertinent.

Since laws do not make things legal, but makes them illegal, if it is not against the law it is by default legal. As you will see in this section he must have your permission to OC, and he can not conceal even by accident.

I gave my son a letter signed by me with contact information for getting in touch with me in case of any questions. He is instructed to keep it with him any time he is carrying his gun. He is now 17, but has been carrying since he turned 14.

Sec. 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person

(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,

(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to

(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or

(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;

(B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;

(2) knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises;

(3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;

Tom

JohnGalt

imported post

Wirelesscto wrote:
Per the map on this site it says a 14 year old may open carry can you point that to that part of the law becasue If I find it My 14 year old will be carrying this weekend!!!!

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer in Alaska so do not consider this answer as legal advise.

I searched the Alaska statutes and failed to find any requirement of age for anyone to carry a firearm. The relevant statutes that I did find are cited below.

Alaska Stat. § 11.61.220 - Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree:
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person . . . (3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;

Alaska Stat. § 11.61.210 - Misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree:
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree if the person . . . (6) knowingly sells a firearm or a defensive weapon to a person under 18 years of age;

And of course, Alaska Stat. § 18.65.705 - Qualifications to obtain a permit:
A person is qualified to receive and hold a permit to carry a concealed handgun if the person . . . (1) is 21 years of age or older;

What does this tell me? It seems that if you are over 16 years old, you can carry openly (subject to restrictions on place, manner, and right of officer to secure pistol during contact). If under 16, then with permission of a parent. Either way, no person may sell a pistol to someone under 18 so it better come as a gift or from a family member. Of course, 21 is the minimum age for concealed carry. Alaska is a SHALL ISSUE state when it comes to CCW permits.

I may have missed something that somebody can point out to me and I will concede the fact that I searched for 10 minutes.

Wirelesscto

imported post

GunTotingLawyer wrote:
Wirelesscto wrote:

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer in Alaska so do not consider this answer as legal advise.

I searched the Alaska statutes and failed to find any requirement of age for anyone to carry a firearm. The relevant statutes that I did find are cited below.

Alaska Stat. § 11.61.220 - Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree:
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person . . . (3) being an unemancipated minor under 16 years of age, possesses a firearm without the consent of a parent or guardian of the minor;

Alaska Stat. § 11.61.210 - Misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree:
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree if the person . . . (6) knowingly sells a firearm or a defensive weapon to a person under 18 years of age;

And of course, Alaska Stat. § 18.65.705 - Qualifications to obtain a permit:
A person is qualified to receive and hold a permit to carry a concealed handgun if the person . . . (1) is 21 years of age or older;

What does this tell me? It seems that if you are over 16 years old, you can carry openly (subject to restrictions on place, manner, and right of officer to secure pistol during contact). If under 16, then with permission of a parent. Either way, no person may sell a pistol to someone under 18 so it better come as a gift or from a family member. Of course, 21 is the minimum age for concealed carry. Alaska is a SHALL ISSUE state when it comes to CCW permits.

I may have missed something that somebody can point out to me and I will concede the fact that I searched for 10 minutes.

Thanks Everyone

Tom take a drive soemtime The drive inn is open

Brian

Nanook

Before you give your 14 year old a gun to carry, you make sure you give him a signed and dated permission slip to possess the handgun, because possession of a handgun by a minor still requires a permission slip from a parent, even if the parent is accompanying the minor. Stupid federal law, but still on the books.