Thread: CBS 6 News - Oklahoma legislature votes to repeal state open carry ban!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12423748

SNIP

Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote To Allow Open CarryPosted:

wnRenderDate('Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:18 PM EST', '', true);

May 04, 2010 12:18 PM EDT [/i]Updated:

wnRenderDate('Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:21 PM EST', '', true);

May 04, 2010 12:21 PM EDT [/i]

if (PLATFORM.EventMan) PLATFORM.EventMan.triggerEvent('WNStoryRelatedBoxd one');

NewsOn6.com

OKLAHOMA CITY-- State lawmakers voted Tuesday to allow Oklahomans with a handgun license to openly carry their weapon.

House Bill 3354, by state Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, would allow Oklahomans to openly carry a weapon if they have obtained a handgun license/concealed carry permit.

"The best offense is a good defense," said Duncan. "The most effective way to deter criminals is to let them know immediately that they will face lethal resistance if they attempt to commit a crime."

"This legislation should actually reduce the chance of violence," Duncan said. "A criminal is far less likely to attack once he sees a citizen is armed."

. . .

"The average citizen can clearly be trusted to handle a firearm responsibly when it is concealed," said Duncan, an attorney. "Why would we expect that to change if they are allowed to openly carry? It is clear that you can trust the average Oklahoman to behave responsibly."

House Bill 3354 passed the Oklahoma House of Representatives on a 74-24 vote Tuesday. It now proceeds to the governor.

Post imported post

good for Oklahoma!

however, there is still that infringement of needing permission/license to exercise their rights which in the end becomes a privilege that can be taken away.

but i suppose it is a step in the right direction.

I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Post imported post

Broondog wrote:
    good for Oklahoma!

however, there is still that infringement of needing permission/license to exercise their rights which in the end becomes a privilege that can be taken away.

but i suppose it is a step in the right direction.

I 100% agree with both points. It is a GIANT step in the right direction. It is still an infringement and makes it a priviledge. However, if OK is a 'Shall Issue' state, the only practical infringement is that you have to PROVE you are legal to own/carry and have an ID card to verify that. Next step for next year in the OK legislature: drop the permit for OC.

While I am for unlicensed carry everywhere, just like here in AZ, I have to concede that I truely believe that the SCOTUS will eventually decide that 'shall issue' permitsare 'not a significant infridgement' and 'provide a balance between a right and "public safety" '. These are not my thoughts, but my belief on how the SCOTUS will eventually rule.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong.

That being said, I'd love for places like CA, MA, NY, and IL be forced to issue shall issue permits totheirresidents, and deny those states toforbid OC at all. THAT would be a truely GIANT STEP.

Banned

Post imported post

I guess the governor has to sign it?

When that happens, 44?

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

I thinks its great but what gets me is how many Oklahomans with a permit don't like it. They are dead set that its going to become a 24/7/365 OK Corral. Makes me sick to read some of the things our brothers and sisters in arms have to say about there own.
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Banned

Post imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
    I thinks its great but what gets me is how many Oklahomans with a permit don't like it. They are dead set that its going to become a 24/7/365 OK Corral. Makes me sick to read some of the things our brothers and sisters in arms have to say about there own.
    One thing about the OK Corral: There were LEOs on both sides of the gunfight, marshall, his deputies, and their buddies on one side; sheriff, his deputies, and their buddies on the other.

It was a power struggle between two groups who wanted to be in control.

If the MPD and the Montgomery County Sheriff's office decided to go at it, a ban on civilian OC ain't gonna stop it!

Post imported post

Bullbuster wrote:

I dunno why the OK Corral always enters into the analogies? You'll find more shoot-outs in eastern cities 'now' than the 1882 gunfight in the alley off Fremont St. next to Fly's Photography shop. OC (RKBA) has been recognized by the AZ Constitution since 1912 and prior as a Territory... 'cept for the illegal (Unconstitutional) Tombstone City Council ban on guns which sparked that particular confrontation.

The Clantons are still there 'n the Earps are long gone...

Congratulations Oklahoma! :celebrate

Post imported post

good for oklahoma whenbrad henry signsit into law i will be sure to buy all i can and spend all the money i can in oklahoma in support of oklahoma open-carry NOW texas needs to pass open-carry

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Bullbuster wrote:
    One thing about the OK Corral: There were LEOs on both sides of the gunfight, marshall, his deputies, and their buddies on one side; sheriff, his deputies, and their buddies on the other.

It was a power struggle between two groups who wanted to be in control.

If the MPD and the Montgomery County Sheriff's office decided to go at it, a ban on civilian OC ain't gonna stop it!
    Uh? OK Corral? Only LEO I know of on the other side was the Sheriff and he stayed out of the fight. The Cowboys were an organized crime gang. But I digress. Good deal for Oklahoma, but as stated it should be unlicensed and I wonder, since they have reciprocity with quite a few other states, if it applies if we hold CCW permits from our own states.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Maybe he meant the Earps. I mean which side of the law they were ondepended on which day of the week the OK Corral incident took place.

I don't think you had anytrue 'lawmen' there on that day.

-- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)