• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Register Your Propane Tanks!

junkie

imported post

After the recent events in New York City I think we should all demand our politicians to regulate propane tanks. All propane tanks must be registered to the owner. Only people who have the proper license and jump through the right hoops can buy propane tanks. Every buyer of a propane tank must pass a background check, not be a felon, and not be convicted of any domestic violence offences. The government will still be able to own any size or type of tank. If a tank is to be transported, it must be in a blast proof container and completely empty.

Just think of all of the children that could die without this legislation.

Big Dipper

imported post

If you live in a multi-family dwelling in Wisconsin you are already forbidden from storing a propane tank anywhere indoors - including an attached garage! That is per the fire code. Ergo awfully hard to use a propane grill.

M

McX

imported post

will i need a License To Carry-Propane? may i openly carry the propane, or must i conceal it?

added this; what about propane in school zones?

Packer fan

imported post

So the next time I walk to get me propane tank filled I can expect to be stopped by an LEO for openly carrying a deadly weapon? How can I conceal that on my person because here in Arkansas I can't OC. Be glad you have OC there in Wis.:lol:

Does anyone make a holster for a propane tank?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

davegran wrote:
Achh! If God had wanted us to grill with propane he wouldn't have made Kingston charcoal.
Screw all you guys with your propane and "K" brand charcoal. Use wood instead!!

Actually there are laws about transporting propane too, alledgedly it is not supposed to be transported in the trunk of a car. So could someone please explain how all these people are getting their LPG tanks home?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
davegran wrote:
Achh! If God had wanted us to grill with propane he wouldn't have made Kingston charcoal.
Screw all you guys with your propane and "K" brand charcoal. Use wood instead!!
And do you really grill in the wood flame or do you wait until it burns down to... wait for it...
CHARCOAL!
wj9v0g.jpg

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Seriously? I cook with wood. That is the basis of my business model.

If you knew the composition of "K" brand charcaol, you would realize that it is about 50% wood products, with about 35% lignite coal (the mercury spewing type of coal) and other additives to make it burn better, for binding, and to make the ash turn white.

The wood product contained within "K" brand charcoal is Spruce and pine.
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Here is the official ingredient list for Kingsford Charcoal Briquets from a company press release, including the purpose of each ingredient in parentheses. The explanation after each ingredient is my own.[/font]

• [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Wood char (Heat source)
    This is simply the wood by-products I mentioned above, burned down into charcoal—almost pure carbon. In the case of Kingsford, they use woods like fir, cedar, and alder that are local to the regions in which they operate—Burnside and Summer Shade, Kentucky; Glen, Mississippi; Belle, Missouri; Springfield, Oregon; and Beryl and Parsons, West Virginia.
    [/font]
  • [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Mineral char (Heat source)
    This is a geologically young form of coal with a soft, brown texture. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. As with the wood, Kingsford heats this material in an oxygen-controlled environment, eliminating water, nitrogen, and other elements, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.
    [/font]
  • [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Mineral carbon (Heat source)
    This is anthracite coal, the old, hard, black stuff once commonly used for home heating. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. It's already 86-98% pure carbon, but once again, Kingsford processes it in an oxygen-controlled environment, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.

What exactly is coal, you ask? "Nasty stuff," some folks say. Well, coal is a fossil fuel, most of which was formed more than 300 million years ago. To make a really, really long story short: Plants and trees died, sank to the bottom of swampy areas, accumulated into many layers, then geologic processes covered the stuff with sand, clay, and rock, and the combination of heat and pressure converted it into what we call coal.

So, coal is really old plant material that can be processed into almost pure carbon. Charcoal is wood that is burned down into almost pure carbon. Not much difference, in my book. End of coal lesson.
    [/font]
  • [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Limestone (Uniform visual ashing)
    Limestone creates the pretty, white coating of ash you see after lighting the briquettes. Limestone is a sedimentary rock consisting of calcium carbonate—also found in egg shells, antacids, and calcium dietary supplements.
    [/font]
  • [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Starch (Binder)
    As mentioned above, starch is used to hold briquettes together, and is found in corn, wheat, potatoes, and rice.
    [/font]
  • [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Borax (Press release)
    Borax is used in small amounts to help briquettes release from the molds. But isn't Borax a detergent? Well, yes, it is, but it's actually a naturally-occurring mineral that is non-toxic in the quantities we're talking about in a briquette. It consists of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. You already know what oxygen and water are. Sodium is a common element found in lots of stuff we eat, including salt. Boron is an element that is necessary in small quantities for plant growth. Borax is commonly used in cosmetics and medicines.
    [/font]
  • [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Sodium nitrate (Ignition aid)
    This is the same stuff used to cure meat. According to Robert L. Wolke, professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh, sodium nitrate gives off oxygen when heated, helping the briquettes to light faster.
    [/font]
  • [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Sawdust (Ignition aid)
    Sawdust burns quickly, helping the briquettes to light faster.
    [/font]
It makes ya real anxious to cook with thatnow doesn't it?
[/font]

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Unfortunately that is the only thing available around here. I have looked for the wood stuff and have yet to find any.

As far as the commercial charcoal goes Kingsford is all I will buy until I can find the wood stuff.