• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Teacher in Need to answers on CC and OC KY?

Should Teachers be allowed to CC at work?

• No/NEVER

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With CC and Extra Training Only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mojo0107

imported post

Can someone give me a simplified statement as to where and when I can carry in KY?

I have been subject to searches in my car at work and ended up being empty shell from Turkey Season the dog hit on. I have my CC (just reinstated). I still see signs that say No Weapons, NO Deadly Weapons, and no CC. So I'm on here trying to answer a lot of ?'s

So I've got to ask:

1.Weapons in a vehicle? Do they have to be so many moves away?

2. Where can I have my guns? (with and w/o CC?) And where can I not have them?

3. Weapons at work? Left in car? etc... What if I'm a schoolteacher?

Thanks for your time... I'm sorry if this is listed elsewhere but I'm trying to take in so much in a lil time.

langzaiguy

imported post

I am not a lawyer, and you prolly want to verify the law on your own. Forgive me as I answer your question without citations--I have as much time as you do.

1. Weapons in a vehicle? Do they have to be so many moves away?
With your CCDW, you can have it anywhere on your person or in your car. ANYONE (provided 18+, no felonies) can have a gun in the glove box. No move number.

2. Where can I have my guns? (with and w/o CC?) And where can I not have them?
You can pretty much OC anywhere except courtrooms, bars, and schools. Most public buildings ban CC.

3. Weapons at work? Left in car? etc... What if I'm a school teacher?
I am a school teacher, we just like parents dropping off their kids, and can guns in their vehicles. KY law prohibits employers from banning weapons from personal vehicles (does not apply to federal employers).

Hope this is clear enough!

mojo0107

imported post

And this is my issue, I keep getting conflicting info. I have been told that even in my car w/cc on school grounds Its not permitted unless I'm law enforcement. I have been told Schools, Courts, Church Not permitted CC or OC either way, I have also been told NO GOV Buildings. So with this confusion do I pack or just keep it in the Glove box or do I take it out of the truck so I don't get fired at school? It seems part of the issue is they want us confused so they can tell us anything and we have to take it at face value until we have hours to research. . .

langzaiguy

imported post

DO NOT CC or OC on school property. You are in the clear if you keep it in your glove box. I'm quite certain of the information I gave you. If anyone else would like to qualify my answers, please do. Read the 1st amendment, section 7 of the constitution, our government can only regulate CC. I believe it's Holland v Commonwealth that supports this. If you're tired of getting conflicting second hand information, then just read the law yourself. I think it's KRS 525 and 237.

@Gutshot, haha glad to know there's other counties out there more freedom loving than Scott.

mojo0107

imported post

Thank you. Thats A lot to sort, but I can have it in my truck in my glovebox locked up. I wanted to check, I really don't know anyone that can explain it like that around here. I usually forget to take it out. I've still got to read it myself and be sure. I'm looking it up now!

Unfettered Might

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Local governments
(cities, counties, urban) may restrict their buildings, but only if they pass an ordinance. It can't be done by executive order, rule or policy. It's not a crime if you carry then. You can just be asked to leave or denied entry
KRS 65.870 No city, county or urban-county government may occupy any part
of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession,
carrying or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or components
of firearms or a combination thereof.

Sure about that?

langzaiguy

imported post

Yup. Positive.

237.115 Construction of KRS 237.110 -- Prohibition by local government units of carrying concealed deadly weapons in governmental buildings -- Restriction on criminal penalties.
(1) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the right of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons on any property owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.
(2) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, the legislative body of a state, city, county, or urban-county government may, by statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance, prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government. That portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed deadly weapons is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highway rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of deadly weapons. The statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building, and if employees of the unit of government, be subject to employee disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute or ordinance. The provisions of this section shall not be deemed to be a violation of KRS 65.870 if the requirements of this section are followed. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any other unit of government.

Last line.

Unfettered Might

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Yup. Positive.

237.115 Construction of KRS 237.110 -- Prohibition by local government units of carrying concealed deadly weapons in governmental buildings -- Restriction on criminal penalties.
(1) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the right of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons on any property owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.
(2) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, the legislative body of a state, city, county, or urban-county government may, by statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance, prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government. That portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed deadly weapons is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highway rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of deadly weapons. The statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building, and if employees of the unit of government, be subject to employee disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute or ordinance. The provisions of this section shall not be deemed to be a violation of KRS 65.870 if the requirements of this section are followed. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any other unit of government.

Last line.
Oh sorry, I didn't realize at first you were only talking about CC.

langzaiguy

imported post

We're better and more knowledgeable people when we actually quote the KRS and volley the information around; we sharpen each other. Heck, I had no idea about the 1000ft radius thing until a week or two ago.

Unfettered Might

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
We're better and more knowledgeable people when we actually quote the KRS and volley the information around; we sharpen each other. Heck, I had no idea about the 1000ft radius thing until a week or two ago.
Very true. Yeah I knew about the 1000 ft rule thing, but damn does that one aggravate me. I mean I have my CC even though I still OC, so it doesn't apply but I just hate that one.

To think that a law abiding citizen could be driving past a school, get pulled over for speeding, have their gun on the dash or a rifle in the back window and a knowledgeable LEO could arrest them when they didn't even know they were breaking the law. It's just not right.