Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home invasions

Post imported post

An acquaintance of mine had an incident. He was asleep in his bedroom and his wife fell asleep on the couch. At about 1:30am someone kicked in their door. The wife woke screaming and the dogs went crazy. With all the ruckus the invader turned tail and ran to a waiting car that zoomed off down the street.

I saw no mention of this in the news, which surprised me in light of what just happened with that craigslist thing.

After hearing that, I did a refresher with the wife on what to do in case it happens to us and decided to taker her to the range for our next "date night".

How many home invasion happen that no one ever hears about?

Post imported post

tacosalad wrote:
    An acquaintance of mine had an incident. He was asleep in his bedroom and his wife fell asleep on the couch. At about 1:30am someone kicked in their door. The wife woke screaming and the dogs went crazy. With all the ruckus the invader turned tail and ran to a waiting car that zoomed off down the street.

I saw no mention of this in the news, which surprised me in light of what just happened with that craigslist thing.

After hearing that, I did a refresher with the wife on what to do in case it happens to us and decided to taker her to the range for our next "date night".

I know screaming is a natural reaction, but it's a real disadvantage. It guides the perpetrator straight to the girl - usually the person you most want protected and hidden. It keeps you from hearing where the bad guy is, and, if you're usually with the girl, it probably gives away your position.

Post imported post

tacosalad wrote:

IME, lots. Just like lots of all crimes are not reported in the news.

69Charger

Post imported post

I don't think you ever here about MOST of them. What is news worthy seems to be the ones where there is a horrific tragedy. My son was hit by a car running a red light while he was in the cross walk. Right in front of his school. Badly open fractured leg, head injury, scrapes and bruises. NOT A WRITTEN WORD or mention of this any where.:X We were devastated. And then a slap in the face by having not 1 word of this being reported in or on any news media. Thank god he lived. I would not want to read of the death of a family member. Pray you never make the news.
    Dave

Post imported post

The scary thing is, this intruder kicked right through the deadbolt on a solid wood front door.

I guess if someone REALLY wants to get into your house quickly, no matter how much noise they make, they are going to do it.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

My step father was a career criminal, believe me a truley "secure" home is very rare.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    My step father was a career criminal, believe me a truley "secure" home is very rare.
    The Ultimate Lock

Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=203552598023

Regular Member Son_of_Perdition's Avatar

Post imported post

tacosalad wrote:
    The scary thing is, this intruder kicked right through the deadbolt on a solid wood front door.

I guess if someone REALLY wants to get into your house quickly, no matter how much noise they make, they are going to do it.

True that. Cute little locks on thin windows and dead bolt locks in particle board door jambs only keep the honest out. Deterrent is the only true security. Good old fashioned Cold war safety

You just have to make your neighborsHouse look more inviting than yours and yours the last place a dirt bag would want to be caught dead in.

Post imported post

swatspyder wrote:
    The Ultimate Lock

There's also the hinge side of the door. I have a few home remedies that help that but....

Then there are windows, garage doors, crawlspace access, gable end vents, furnace buckouts, skylights , etc......if someone is determined and a little knowledgable they will get into the average home. I've been locked outside my home and always have made it back in.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Post imported post

tacosalad wrote:

I think you can have the best locks in the world on your doors, but if your door jamb isn't strong enough then they will just kick on through. After doing a little homework on my own I picked up and installed door jamb armor from Lowe's.

Post imported post

Still remove at least one hinge screw on each hing on the jamb side and install a 4" screw. Still leaves door vulnerable, so you can drill 1/4 to 3/8 holes on jamb and door and glue in matching dowl rod in on side just make sure it doesn't protrude out much more than 5/16th inch. Unless you are intent spending a ton of money on a commercial door. A large and very determined person can still kick or bash your door apart. There's not much to it.

The best bet is to stay armed and the other precaution buys you time to prepare yourself.

Post imported post

More Door jamb armor.

Who's a good girl? You is...Yes you is...

Post imported post

swatspyder wrote:
    The Ultimate Lock

I can open the ultimate lock in less than five minutes with very little to no noise. There are ways to open locked doors that employ standard or heavy duty locks that many do not consider.

The only way to really secure a door is by having dead bolts of three inches or more that extend not only into the wall but also into the top and bottom of the door jamb.

Post imported post

After watching Craig and Paul Pumphrey on Human Wrecking Balls, I have very little doubt that a WALL will keep someone out, let alone a lock.

With that said, no one is coming in my apartment unless they make some serious noise. I have one of these, and with the way I put it up, it's not budging unless it breaks in half. I kick the bottom of it toward the door as hard as I can wearing my shoe, to ensure it's as tightly in place as possible. I've got a deadbolt and chainlock on top of it. Also, my door is metal.

Post imported post

I strongly suspect that we do not and will not hear anything about most "home invasions."

I never saw ANYTHING about the only one I was ever in the middle of.
    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

• • • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Faciémus!• • •

Post imported post

Mine didn't. The little bird on my shoulder tells me that the guy breaking into the back door didn't think I committed a crime by sticking a .45 in his face.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

olypendrew wrote:
    tacosalad wrote:

Thousands.

Even worse is commonality, where the crime is so common it never really makes a dent in a persons conciousness. For example, Gang murder. In my Grandfather's time, the big gang murder was the Valentine's Day Massacre where 7 Gangsters were gunned down. It was the talk of the era, finding it's way into books and movies of the day.

Nowadays, any good weekend in Detroit can do better.

Post imported post

BrenTen wrote:
    olypendrew wrote:
    tacosalad wrote:

Thousands.

Even worse is commonality, where the crime is so common it never really makes a dent in a persons conciousness. For example, Gang murder. In my Grandfather's time, the big gang murder was the Valentine's Day Massacre where 7 Gangsters were gunned down. It was the talk of the era, finding it's way into books and movies of the day.

Nowadays, any good weekend in Detroit can do better.

Wasn't Al Capone in charge of that?

Post imported post

Just goes to show you how any sort of prohibition creates violence.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Old adage - locks only keep honest people honest.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Old adage - locks only keep honest people honest.

Yata hey
    True, but they'll make a LOT of noise on their way in. At least enough noise to either wake my dog up, which will wake me up, or wake me up from the noise itself.

Post imported post

virgil47 wrote:
    swatspyder wrote:
    The Ultimate Lock

I can open the ultimate lock in less than five minutes with very little to no noise. There are ways to open locked doors that employ standard or heavy duty locks that many do not consider.

The only way to really secure a door is by having dead bolts of three inches or more that extend not only into the wall but also into the top and bottom of the door jamb.
    Even that doesn't do much good when these guys want to come in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcUfGYdAyGI

Post imported post

It is easy to keep Dumb and Dumber here out of even a card board box. All you need is a little persuasion. You could havefour of them and name'em Schlage, Master,Dead bolt, andBrinks.

Edit: Or nameitLoJack.If you want to leave him in the car when your at the mall.

Post imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
    More Door jamb armor.

Who's a good girl? You is...Yes you is...

I wish I could have a dog in my apartment.

Oh well. The Winchester 1300 Defender will do for now.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

She's a good girl - just smiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6z7...layer_embedded

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast