• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home invasions

tacosalad

imported post

An acquaintance of mine had an incident. He was asleep in his bedroom and his wife fell asleep on the couch. At about 1:30am someone kicked in their door. The wife woke screaming and the dogs went crazy. With all the ruckus the invader turned tail and ran to a waiting car that zoomed off down the street.

I saw no mention of this in the news, which surprised me in light of what just happened with that craigslist thing.

After hearing that, I did a refresher with the wife on what to do in case it happens to us and decided to taker her to the range for our next "date night".

How many home invasion happen that no one ever hears about?

antispam540

imported post

tacosalad wrote:
An acquaintance of mine had an incident. He was asleep in his bedroom and his wife fell asleep on the couch. At about 1:30am someone kicked in their door. The wife woke screaming and the dogs went crazy. With all the ruckus the invader turned tail and ran to a waiting car that zoomed off down the street.

I saw no mention of this in the news, which surprised me in light of what just happened with that craigslist thing.

After hearing that, I did a refresher with the wife on what to do in case it happens to us and decided to taker her to the range for our next "date night".

I know screaming is a natural reaction, but it's a real disadvantage. It guides the perpetrator straight to the girl - usually the person you most want protected and hidden. It keeps you from hearing where the bad guy is, and, if you're usually with the girl, it probably gives away your position.

69Charger

imported post

I don't think you ever here about MOST of them. What is news worthy seems to be the ones where there is a horrific tragedy. My son was hit by a car running a red light while he was in the cross walk. Right in front of his school. Badly open fractured leg, head injury, scrapes and bruises. NOT A WRITTEN WORD or mention of this any where.:X We were devastated. And then a slap in the face by having not 1 word of this being reported in or on any news media. Thank god he lived. I would not want to read of the death of a family member. :( Pray you never make the news.
Dave

tacosalad

imported post

The scary thing is, this intruder kicked right through the deadbolt on a solid wood front door.

I guess if someone REALLY wants to get into your house quickly, no matter how much noise they make, they are going to do it.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

tacosalad wrote:
The scary thing is, this intruder kicked right through the deadbolt on a solid wood front door.

I guess if someone REALLY wants to get into your house quickly, no matter how much noise they make, they are going to do it.

True that. Cute little locks on thin windows and dead bolt locks in particle board door jambs only keep the honest out. Deterrent is the only true security. Good old fashioned Cold war safety ;)

You just have to make your neighborsHouse look more inviting than yours and yours the last place a dirt bag would want to be caught dead in.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
My step father was a career criminal, believe me a truley "secure" home is very rare.
The Ultimate Lock

Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=134168&id=203552598023
There's also the hinge side of the door. I have a few home remedies that help that but....

Then there are windows, garage doors, crawlspace access, gable end vents, furnace buckouts, skylights , etc......if someone is determined and a little knowledgable they will get into the average home. I've been locked outside my home and always have made it back in.

kyleg

imported post

tacosalad wrote:

I think you can have the best locks in the world on your doors, but if your door jamb isn't strong enough then they will just kick on through. After doing a little homework on my own I picked up and installed door jamb armor from Lowe's.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Still remove at least one hinge screw on each hing on the jamb side and install a 4" screw. Still leaves door vulnerable, so you can drill 1/4 to 3/8 holes on jamb and door and glue in matching dowl rod in on side just make sure it doesn't protrude out much more than 5/16th inch. Unless you are intent spending a ton of money on a commercial door. A large and very determined person can still kick or bash your door apart. There's not much to it.

The best bet is to stay armed and the other precaution buys you time to prepare yourself.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

More Door jamb armor.

one%20pissed%20off%20dog.jpg

Who's a good girl? You is...Yes you is...

virgil47

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
My step father was a career criminal, believe me a truley "secure" home is very rare.
The Ultimate Lock

Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=134168&id=203552598023
I can open the ultimate lock in less than five minutes with very little to no noise. There are ways to open locked doors that employ standard or heavy duty locks that many do not consider.

The only way to really secure a door is by having dead bolts of three inches or more that extend not only into the wall but also into the top and bottom of the door jamb.

Aaron1124

imported post

After watching Craig and Paul Pumphrey on Human Wrecking Balls, I have very little doubt that a WALL will keep someone out, let alone a lock.

With that said, no one is coming in my apartment unless they make some serious noise. I have one of these, and with the way I put it up, it's not budging unless it breaks in half. I kick the bottom of it toward the door as hard as I can wearing my shoe, to ensure it's as tightly in place as possible. I've got a deadbolt and chainlock on top of it. Also, my door is metal.

masterlock.jpg

Tomas

imported post

I strongly suspect that we do not and will not hear anything about most "home invasions."

I never saw ANYTHING about the only one I was ever in the middle of.

killchain

imported post

Mine didn't. The little bird on my shoulder tells me that the guy breaking into the back door didn't think I committed a crime by sticking a .45 in his face.

Wheelgunner

imported post

olypendrew wrote:
tacosalad wrote:

IME, lots. Just like lots of all crimes are not reported in the news.
Thousands.

Even worse is commonality, where the crime is so common it never really makes a dent in a persons conciousness. For example, Gang murder. In my Grandfather's time, the big gang murder was the Valentine's Day Massacre where 7 Gangsters were gunned down. It was the talk of the era, finding it's way into books and movies of the day.

Nowadays, any good weekend in Detroit can do better.

Aaron1124

imported post

BrenTen wrote:
olypendrew wrote:
tacosalad wrote:

IME, lots. Just like lots of all crimes are not reported in the news.
Thousands.

Even worse is commonality, where the crime is so common it never really makes a dent in a persons conciousness. For example, Gang murder. In my Grandfather's time, the big gang murder was the Valentine's Day Massacre where 7 Gangsters were gunned down. It was the talk of the era, finding it's way into books and movies of the day.

Nowadays, any good weekend in Detroit can do better.
Wasn't Al Capone in charge of that?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Old adage - locks only keep honest people honest.

Yata hey