• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just called Trader Joes (University Place)

Glock17

imported post

I just called Trader Joes in University Place to get the ok to open carry. The manager I spoke with is going to call corporate and see what the policy is then call me back. He said he has a CPL and had never heard of open carry. I am hoping like hell that he will give it the ok because I shop there alot. I will always shop there because it is the only place we can get the healthy food we like at a reasonable cost. I will update you guys as I get more answers from this gentleman who works there. Cheers

69Charger

imported post

Well we might catch hell for asking if a place is ok to carry in but I have also called Costco to know there policy regarding carry. They say it is not allowed. No signs outside the front door. Aperintly its in there fine print when you join there Club. :(
Dave

Glock17

imported post

69Charger wrote:
Well we might catch hell for asking if a place is ok to carry in but I have also called Costco to know there policy regarding carry. They say it is not allowed. No signs outside the front door. Aperintly its in there fine print when you join there Club. :(
Dave
Well the gentleman I talked with seemed really professional and he has a cpl so he sounded like it intrigued him more then anything. I don't like cold calls. So I think its rude to walk into a business without asking. Just my opinion. Cheers

Tawnos

imported post

Glock17 wrote:
I just called Trader Joes in University Place to get the ok to open carry. The manager I spoke with is going to call corporate and see what the policy is then call me back. He said he has a CPL and had never heard of open carry. I am hoping like hell that he will give it the ok because I shop there alot. I will always shop there because it is the only place we can get the healthy food we like at a reasonable cost. I will update you guys as I get more answers from this gentleman who works there. Cheers
Why are you calling to get the okay? Seriously. Why?

Glock17

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Glock17 wrote:
Why are you calling to get the okay? Seriously. Why?

Good question. I shop there all the time and I consider them like family. If you were me you would do the same thing. Its called respect. My wife shops there all the time and we trust these people. So am I going to act like a macho man and walk in there with my glock on my side and see if I can push buttons. The answer is no. I will call and see if its ok. I don't have to approach open carry the same way you do. Cheers

69Charger

imported post

Hang on to your shorts. This could be a bumpy ride.
Personalty, I do the same thing. :)
Dave

PS. Its not WRONG to do this so if you want to, GO FOR IT.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And when they say no, I hope you go shop somewhere else!

Simply go about your business and do not draw attention to yourself. Be polite, be courteous, be professional and be kind. Go shop, do not ask permission to do something that is LEGAL!

99.99% of retail business do not have a policy for or against open carry. However, by calling you will give them a reason to draft a policy against.

However, if you were to go shop and be polite and not draw attention to yourself they would become accustomed to you shopping there.

May I suggest that if you are new here that you read the posts! These items have been covered before and you are very much undermining those who have open carried for years in this state. Take the time to understand what others have done before you and respect the OCers on this board that have done so for years and in some cases decades!

Glock17

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Glock17 wrote:
69Charger wrote:
Dave
Well the gentleman I talked with seemed really professional and he has a cpl so he sounded like it intrigued him more then anything. I don't like cold calls. So I think its rude to walk into a business without asking. Just my opinion. Cheers
Do you call businesses and ask them if cell phones are OK? How about shirts without collars? Or open toed sandals? WTF is it with a gun? There is no difference. You've been at least sniffing at the kool aid the anti-gun groups are offering. Since when is it rude to exercise a right guaranteed by the State Constitution and since when is it rude to abide by all applicable state statutes?
All good points. I think what your saying has a good point to it. And you don't know me at all sir. I don't sniff any kool aid. I don't have political ties to any party. I am a Constitutionalist. I am not a right wing or left wing. I am a Founding Fathers wing. And the Founders were educated and wrote great works of brilliance. The Founders also argued alot. And they disagreed alot. In this case my approach is what is pissing you off. But it is my Right to approach this business with tact. I want all people in this area to be able to Open Carry at this business. So with a cool hand I approached them and asked them a simple question. I am sorry if you believe I am an anti or whatever you may be saying. I think we all have a different way of doing things. So in this case I hope all works out well for us. Cheers

Stryker

imported post

Glock17 wrote:
"Well the gentleman I talked with seemed really professional and he has a cpl so he sounded like it intrigued him more then anything. I don't like cold calls. So I think its rude to walk into a business without asking."

My position is that any business accommodating the general public does not merit a pre-approval for me to exercise a right protected by our state constitution. I visit far too many establishments for me to call ahead and seek permission to carry.

Many of us strive to make open carry a basic principle of our lifestyle and dress. There are very few lifestyles or dress codes that would be considered rude to enter a business such as Trader Joe's without authorization. Actually, other than not wearing clothes, I can't think of any.

No, we don't expect you to approach open carry the same as everyone else, but most of us don't agree with your assertion that walking in with a gun is an attempt to be a macho man or push people's buttons.

I'm guessing that you'll either normalize OC in your life and forget about seeking permissions, or go crazy worrying about everyone else's perceptions and give up OC completely. CC is definitely the way to go if you are worried about things over which you have little control such as how othersperceive your intentions.

Best of luck to you, brother. We are a diverse lot!

69Charger

imported post

See I told ya. What a load of extremist crap. JMHO JMHO JMHO
gogo posts---
May I suggest that if you are new here that you read the posts! These items have been covered before and you are very much undermining those who have open carried for years in this state. Take the time to understand what others have done before you and respect the OCers on this board that have done so for years and in some cases decades!

No disrespect. I Did say JMHO :)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

69Charger wrote:
See I told ya. What a load of extremist crap. JMHO JMHO JMHO
gogo posts---

Dave,

What is extremist about my statement? With over 1100 posts you will find I don't use language like you have used in this simple post. Read them all if you must. What I am saying is show respect to those who have been on this board since 2007 (not me, by the way), some of them have decades of experience in this matter. Some of them have written dozens of letters to companies to clear up policies to allow open carry. Some of them are plaintiffs in high profile court cases in this state. Surely you are wise enough to understand that others have experience in these matters.

By no measure am I an extremist and you know that what I have said is not. Hopefully we will have coffee on Saturday.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

This is a good example of why we shouldn't ask.

I go to Trader Joe's here in Bellingham a lot and have no trouble, and I always open carry. Now lets suppose this brings this to the attentionof corportate and they decide to now issue a no firearm policy. Effective immediately.

And they alert all the managers in all the Trader Joe's across the U.S. There might be some disappointed gun owners. :cry:

It's good in wanting to be proactive and secure in your ability to exercise open carry, but the best way in my opinion is to simply just do it.Your good conduct and demeanor as a gun carrier will do more than any other means.

69Charger

imported post

Yes sir. I will be there. :)
What I feel Is that if a guy wants to make himself feel better by calling ahead, feeling that he wants to do the right thing, How can that screw up what this 1 little forums worth of gun owners have been trying to achieve for years. This is 1 SMALL group of people. I think to down grade some one for doing what they feel is a good thing only starts up bad relations. Maybe there should be some respect for guys like this for trying. This is not a cut and dry thing. If our for fathers wanted it only 1 way then they would of left out the freedom of speech thing. JMHO.
Dave

Glock17

imported post

Well I can see I opened up a can of worms. I wasn't trying to cause a wedge issue on the forum. But seeing that some people don't think its ok to ask I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I don't shop at any other place. Maybe on occasion at Fred Myers. So in a way I feel like they are family. I am sorry if I caused any waves.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

69Charger wrote:
Yes sir. I will be there. :)
What I feel Is that if a guy wants to make himself feel better by calling ahead, feeling that he wants to do the right thing, How can that screw up what this 1 little forums worth of gun owners have been trying to achieve for years. This is 1 SMALL group of people. I think to down grade some one for doing what they feel is a good thing only starts up bad relations. Maybe there should be some respect for guys like this for trying. This is not a cut and dry thing. If our for fathers wanted it only 1 way then they would of left out the freedom of speech thing. JMHO.
Dave

While I understand the feelings this is not about feelings this is about the law. It is about normalizing open carry and not calling attention to ourselves. By calling ahead you are not acting normally you are calling attention to all who open carry. I understand the apprehension about going somewhere new and open carrying. I have done it and my heart was racing, but I had enough courage to take the chance knowing what I was doing was legal and I was prepared to leave if asked.

While this is one forum, I would contend that this is the leading forum on open carry in the world. I do not say that lightly, look around the last 6 months with the Starbuck's issue and you will see that opencarry.org has been mentioned all around the world. While this is a small group, I would contend that it is small persistent groups that make a difference. Look at Dr. Marting L. King and his humble beginnings and how that grew into a larger movement.

69Charger

imported post

As long as we all agree to not agree with everything, then we all agree on something. :)
Still friends.
Dave

Glock17

imported post

For me this is the issue. This is the only store I go to. I don't want to get removed from the store or band from the store. My wife would kill me. We don't shop at any other place. So I understand what you guys are saying. You have worked hard to normalize open carry. And I approached it in a very casual way. I don't see how I can approach it any other way. Its just the way I am. I don't go to Star Bucks because I don't believe in there product. I just wanted to know how they felt about open carry. I think in time I will not worry so much. All good points by the way. I have a learning curve going on here. So be patient.