• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dry Fire?

Kloutier

imported post

I have an XDM-9 and Every day before I carry I eject the mag and check the pipe to make sure there is nothing.

My question is there is no way to un-cock the gun so I have to pull the trigger. Will dry firing an XDM damage it?

rocknsnow

imported post

I have dry fired my XD9 thousands of times doing different types of drills. I wouldn't worry about your XDM. If something did break I bet Springfield would most likely fix it for free.

Walther

imported post

You should have no problems dry firing your pistol.

You should do it alot like rocknsnow said, I dry practice alot, it will help you on the range and in defense should you need it. I do it with all my pistols with no problems.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Of course, if you carried with one in the chamber instead of unloaded, you wouldn't need to do that. Carrying with the chamber empty is like taking all the gasoline out of your car's tank until you need to go somewhere, and then refilling it each time.

Walther

imported post

Of course, if you carried with one in the chamber instead of unloaded, you wouldn't need to do that. Carrying with the chamber empty is like taking all the gasoline out of your car's tank until you need to go somewhere, and then refilling it each time

He would need a CFP for that in Utah.

Porter N

imported post

I dry fired my XD9 and it didnt ever bother it while i had it. I now have a 2 beretta and a sig sauer, so they decock.

YoZUpZ

imported post

Kloutier wrote:
I have an XDM-9 and Every day before I carry I eject the mag and check the pipe to make sure there is nothing.

My question is there is no way to un-cock the gun so I have to pull the trigger. Will dry firing an XDM damage it?
Dry firing the gun is part of the process of field stripping the gun. You are fine... Don't worry about it, they wouldn't make a gun that needs to be dry fired in order to take it apart if dry firing hurts the gun :)

Porter N

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
they wouldn't make a gun that needs to be dry fired in order to take it apart if dry firing hurts the gun :)
good point, but the xdM doesnt need the trigger pull to take it apart.

YoZUpZ

imported post

Porter N wrote:
YoZUpZ wrote:
they wouldn't make a gun that needs to be dry fired in order to take it apart if dry firing hurts the gun :)
good point, but the xdM doesnt need the trigger pull to take it apart.
Good to know, I was under the impression that it was pretty much mechanically identical to the regular XD pistols, I'll have to look into them more.

Porter N

imported post

The-m-factor.com i think it is. I had two xd's, one in 9 and one in 40, both subcompact models. My dad has the M in 9mm, and if/when I eventually add an XD to my arsenal, I'll get an M. The XD-GEAR the M comes with is a little nicer than the original, in my opinion. and the mag capacity is much better with the M's.

YoZUpZ

imported post

Porter N wrote:
The-m-factor.com i think it is. I had two xd's, one in 9 and one in 40, both subcompact models. My dad has the M in 9mm, and if/when I eventually add an XD to my arsenal, I'll get an M. The XD-GEAR the M comes with is a little nicer than the original, in my opinion. and the mag capacity is much better with the M's.
Yeah, the XDm gets more and more tempting everyday. I love the mag capacity and the fact that you can get anXDm .40 with the barrel conversion and be able to shoot both .40 and 9mm. The only thing that is holding me back is that I don't carry my XD-9 subcompact that much, asits a lot easier to slip an LCP in my front pocket and call it a day while in summer clothing or business casual. The same would be more true with an XDm, as it is bigger.