• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NICS Question

KY Soldier

imported post

Ok I have A dilemma. I am taking my girlfriend camping this weekend and she says that there is no way shes going camping unless we take a gun for protection. I know this isnt a question about gun selection BUT this is an opportune moment to go out and buy a new gun. Heres the dilemma: I have a charge pending that is to be dismissed on June 3rd of this year due to in-court mediation. The charge is criminal mischief 3rd degree. Will this keep me from getting approved for the purchase? Time is of the essence please help me!

goalseter88

imported post

thats not a felony is it? i dont know much about what makes a felony and what makes it just a misdominor. even if it is a felony charge i dont think they disapprove it till after your court and have been charged.( course if you been charged with a felony its illegal:p) but hell why wait to see what others think. just go in and buy one, if it does hold you back when they call it in, the worst case you arent allowed to buy it. not like you have to buy it first and if it does hold you back, that you gotta return the gun and not get your money back.i just hopeif youdo get that gun you wont be doing any criminalmischiefwith it:p

OPS MARINE

imported post

Criminal Mischief in the 3rd Degree? Are you able to tell us what the punishment range is for that particular crime? Are one of the conditions that you not purchase, own or operate a firearm if convicted? Is there a restraining/protection order in effect? Is there a violence clause? What penal codes were violated?

Taking some of these things into consideration, what do Kentucky laws say about the purchase of a firearm under the present circumstances?

I'm more asking these questions so that you can evaluate the issue yourself. I will admit I don't know the answers, but hope I have provoked some thought.

KY Soldier

imported post

Thought provoked. I called NICS just now and the gentleman was actually quite informative and told me that more than likely the purchase will be delayed a day or two while they investigate it further but in all likelyhood (sp?) will be approved. It is a misdemeanor and I am in the military so I know i'm allowed to carry a weapon still. And no no my mischevious days are over.