• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just edited Wikipedia page on Open Carry

Beliveau

imported post

Hi all, new member here - first post and new to OC. Grew up in rural Pennsylvania and saw it frequently.

I went and checked out the Wikipedia page on Open Carry and it had a decidedly anti - gun and closed minded tone, so I submitted an appropriate edit to show our side of the issue. I used the US News Editorial as a reference citing the FBI study showing that criminals actually CONCEAL their weapons :).

I'd encourage everyone to monitor the Wikipedia page from time to time, a lot of people use it as a reference and it does justice to our rights if we present the proper information to everyone - link here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry

Dreamer

imported post

For some reason, Wiki has given you a "cite error" on citation (14), where you reference US News... You might want to check that...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Took a quick glance at Wiki - couple of comments:

1 - can wiki use a different picture? That one's associated with a rather lengthy diatribe about fat, old redneck white guys as being the OC movement. Perhaps something not so posed?

2 - OCDO is a libertarian group? I understand that there are small-"l" libertarian aspects to both OCDO and the OC "movement" but "a libertarian group"? I want my dues back!

And lest I forget my manners - welcome to OCDO, and thank you for your concern.

stay safe.

skidmark

Superlite27

imported post

I agree about the picture.

Could we please find another picture of an overweight, thug shirt, ski mask (oooops, I meant stocking cap) wearing criminal to use instead of this one?

Oh, and the last three entries under "open carry demonstrations" seem kind of geared towards making OC'ers look like bumbling fools and criminals as well.

lil_freak_66

imported post

if you dont like what is in it,edit the thing,its not hard.this page gets changed every day

*EDIT*

i removed the libertarian thing from in front of the OCDO name. and removed the black panthers thing from the open carry events thing,and added "notable" to the open carry events section, it now reads "Notable open carry events" there is no possible way we can add in every single event.

btw,who added in the ponderosa event to the wiki page?

yall should add in any notable OC events you know of.

eye95

imported post

I notice that the reference to OpenCarry.org near the top of the article is not set up as a link.

david.ross

imported post

skidmark wrote:
1 - can wiki use a different picture? That one's associated with a rather lengthy diatribe about fat, old redneck white guys as being the OC movement. Perhaps something not so posed?
I agree, people who dress like thugs and open carry do the rest no good. The typical American does not look like an untrustworthy person who you don't want to see carrying a gun.

Representation is everything.

lil_freak_66

imported post

removed the picture of the OC'er

idk how to make the ocdo thing a link,so i wont mess with it.

its up to the rest of you to make it the way you want now.

Beliveau

imported post

All,

Please consider going to Wikipedia and creating a login yourself - VERY easy, no personal info...

Then we can all monitor and make edits. Wikipedia should not be a haven for liberal opinion, it should be balanced.

KansasMustang

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
The Wikipedia is balanced - just like Humpty Dumpty says, "Who is to be master?"
Will someone put the picture that's in use up there^^ on the Wiki page. Now that's OC :) I just looked at it and no offense, the overweight sloppily dressed fella was still there.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

I would be surprised if your edits remain. Liberals control Wikipedia and will usually win any edit contest you get into with them.... if you're not a regular editor... your edits will be quickly removed... you have to usually have to participate in more than three or four topics to begin to be seen as a qualified or trusted editor.

estcrh

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
I agree about the picture.

Could we please find another picture of an overweight, thug shirt, ski mask (oooops, I meant stocking cap) wearing criminal to use instead of this one?

Oh, and the last three entries under "open carry demonstrations" seem kind of geared towards making OC'ers look like bumbling fools and criminals as well.
I suggested another picture that was already on file with wiki commons..it has been accepted..people are willing to compromise if you have a good argument. Check it out and if you approve you can leave a comment on the discussion page of wiki open carry....

Rather than try to just change things on wiki its better to suggest changes in the discussion area and see if you get some positive comments. If you have an interest in wiki you should register on wiki commons and learn to upload your own pictures so they will be available to use, its not that hard, there is a guide and if anyone needs help they can send me a p.m. You can use the global registration and be registered on all wiki sites so that you can suggest positive changes or additions, have references to any quotes and some research to back up any claims.

estcrh

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
I would be surprised if your edits remain. Liberals control Wikipedia and will usually win any edit contest you get into with them.... if you're not a regular editor... your edits will be quickly removed... you have to usually have to participate in more than three or four topics to begin to be seen as a qualified or trusted editor.
The best way to start on wiki is to find a category in which you have some knowledge, but not a controversial subject (fly fishing etc) and learn how to use wiki!!! Make some minor edits, add some information. learn to add references from books etc, learn to upload and add pictures on wiki commons and start a repository of your own pictures to use and you will soon be seen as having some credibility on wiki...

Its when you have no previous use of wiki and just jump in and start hacking away that gets people annoyed. Its important to have a roll in wiki as its one of the first sites that will come up in a search and people use it for reference all the time.

estcrh

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
removed the picture of the OC'er

idk how to make the ocdo thing a link,so i wont mess with it.

its up to the rest of you to make it the way you want now.
If you removed the picture it did not last...You have to register on wiki and find a picture on wiki commons or upload your own picture...pictures have to have the proper copyright info etc...so if you take your own pictures and upload them thats the best way....

I suggested a different picture that was already on wiki commons and the picture was changed...the new picture should be acceptable so check it out and learn how to leave a comment on the discussion page of wiki open carry in the appropriate area.

You should know that there are people WATCHING this forum and they are aware of the comments that are being make here so keep that in mind. COMPROMISE is the best way to go on this subject. Information that is well researched from know sources will be taken seriously over personal opinion. There are people who take wiki seriously and do not take to what is called "vandalism".

I suggest you go to the wiki open carry talk page and click on the "view history" button and read all the recent edits and reversed edits etc to get an idea of how things work there. You will see a reversed picture edit.

estcrh

imported post

TFred wrote:
I agree, that new picture is MUCH better.

It would be nice to get some family pics too.

TFred
It might be possible to have a gallery of open carry pictures added at the bottom of the wiki open carry article. people will have to upload open carry pictures to wiki common, there is no open carry category to store pictures yet on wiki commons, that would be easy to create and then anyone can send their open carry pictures there and find open carry pictures also for individual use.