• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello!

AdamXD

imported post

Howdy all, I just wanted to introduce myself as I hope to become part of the Milwaukee gun-owner community in the next coming weeks.

I'm Adam, I currently live in southern AZ and am moving into the greater Milwaukee area. I am rather new to the "for the 2nd amendment" community, but a strong believer. I am rather uneducated on most gun-related topics, but I have been far more interested in them since I purchased my first (and certainly not last)gun and handgun back in January. Being a gun owner, I try to stay up to date as I can on gun laws, but living in AZ means very little reading compared to what you guys are forced to live with. I have been doing research on WI gun laws and am becoming overwhelmed and confused with the Lawyerese in the books. I've perused the forums and found a few compilation treads that list several dozen laws about OC and transportation which are all very helpful.

Does anyone have any recommendations about OC conduct and allowed OC locations? Things you sorta have to learn the "hard-way" to find out?

One thing I have been unable to find out is if I need a permit to even own a gun, or if I have to register my gun when I move instate.

Anything else anyone can think of to help me transition from such lax gun laws to such strict gun laws would be much appreciated! I hope to be a part of some of the movements around WI.

OCglock1988

imported post

You should probably stay in AZ. We are all jealous of your freedom down there! But to be serious: you do not need to own a permit to have guns or to Open Carry in WI. there are 5 general rules about carrying and transporting 1.firearms must be unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case when you are in any vehicle(car,truck,golfcart,snowmobile,whatever) 2. No firearms in places that serve alcohol for consumption(bars,taverns,a lot of restaurants, UNLESS you have permission from the owner but even then its a gray area. 3. when you are in 1000ft of a school zone your gun must be unloaded and encased. 4. No guns in government owned buildings. 5. your gun must be in plain view and not concealed in any way. I hope this helps you. I may have forgot something because its late, and in that case Im sure ill get the 5th degree on here haha. There are also numerous other threads that cover each of these topics in depth if you just look around. Just curious, what is bringing you to the glorious state of Wisconsin and where do you plan to live?

AdamXD

imported post

Well, long story short, my girlfriend of over 3 years moved out of AZ for school and I am following since she has a full ride. I will be living a stones throw from the Harley factory/museum and also in sight of the Miller HQ. I am also coming for the milk, Sprechers' sodas, and relief from the 110+ degree weather. I visited about 2 months ago to get a lay of the land and put out a bunch of job apps and from what I experienced, I like it a lot.

Also, on a side note, are IWB holsters that are NOT covered by shirts considered concealed? I would imagine so since its not 100% visible.

OCglock1988

imported post

Thats a decent area you plan to live by, when you move here make sure to check out Conejito's place on 6th street, its the best mexican around. Its easy on the wallet too! Also I wouldn't wear the IWB because that could be considered concealed.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

AdamXD wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations about OC conduct and allowed OC locations?
'OC conduct' is as a mature and responsible conservative citizen.

There are no laws prohibiting open carry in locations different from concealed carry. Concealed carry is prohibited with exceptions made only due to constitutional and legal exigencies.

You may not have a gun (loaded, not cased, in reach) in a car, a bar, a publicly owned building or within a thousand feet of a school.

The police have absolute discretion in detaining you for what they consider disorderly conduct. There is an enhancement for disorderly conduct with a weapon involved. The police do not make a 'charge', though they may recommend one to the charging authority.

Oh, I forgot, welcome to the forum. I am not a lawyer and a coward and an aśśhole. I am not your friend.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Welcome Adam.

In a couple of weeks my GF and I will be spending a month in AZ camping and hiking all around. She lived in Tubac for a few years and then decided to join me here in WI.

Just read up on the forum here as much as you can, and when you get in the area try to hook up with a Milwaukee home-boy to show you the ropes. Most guys here are very friendly (with the exception of Doug who has no friends) and would be more than willing to go out with you a couple of times until you feel comfortable.

There is a huge difference between AZ and WI so make sure to get educated before you go out in order to avoid complications.

hardballer

imported post

Welcome. OC is the law of the land. Search this site for tons of info. Most if not all entries will contain links that verify the writers position so you may follow to the source. Without a source, the info is just hearsay and is questionable. The dubious nature of opinions should be suspect until the veracity of the writers comments may be verified or refuted. Good luck with the move and hope to hear more from you.