• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first response from OC

Cobra469

imported post

Well today I had my first major response to my carrying a firearm. I mean major because they actually had something to say rather than just look and beat around the bush about it.

I went to Chase Bank on South 6th to deposit my 2 weeks of paychecks so I can pay the masses. Walked in and waived to my banker as this is the 2nd time I have been into this branch and both times were OCing. Started illing out my deposit slip and a loud customer came in cheering about last nights game and joking with the banker. He noticed me right away and paused a second then realized I was nothing to worry about. So I got in line and handled my business. I wanted to wait around a minute so that my wife could talk to a personal banker about some questions she had with the online portal. When I was walking over to take a seet a gentleman yelled really lod "nice gun." I thought oh crap here comes the storm. He then asked, in a normal cvoice this time, if it was legal to carry it in Wisconsin. I breifly explained yes OC is the only legal way to carry it but there are a few places that we are not allowed to carry it. We talked for a few minutes and went over the biggies of were we cannot carry. As we were holding up the line I let him go with his new found knowledge. As I was walking away he announce loudly again "I feel safer with you here already." My wife was a bit shocked and the lady behind him just rolled her eyes very noticeably. I thanked him and replied I feel safer too lol.

All in all it had me chuckling all day as that was a very positive encounter that helps me realize as a noob that there is more support for our cause out there then we realize. They just don't know that what we are doing is perfectly legal. And while it is their choice whether they want to carry for themselves or not, they still understand why we do it and support us. And I am sure the antis in the branch are realizing this slowly as well.

But after that interaction I expected the bank to confront me or to rush me out the door. They did nothing of the sort and treated me the same as any other customer. But then again now they know that I OC and next visit they may have called corporate and developed policies against it. Only time will see. Definitely printing off a few fliers though for next time. Was too bad I didn't have any on me at the time. Also too bad my video recorder was dead. Would have been a great utube video.

I do have to say though that when we went to Walgreens after that. My wife was opening the trunk for me before I even got out of the car lol.

SAK

imported post

I'm glad the experience was mostly positive. Some people who aren't "in the loop" on OCing still don't realize it's a little awkward for us when they act differently because of it. Speaking extra loud is one of those annoyances.

But, as time goes on and the more we open carry, the more used to it people will be.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
We just have to find a "tactful" way of informing people that yelling "GUN" is a bad idea.
Isn't that like yelling fire in a crowded theater?
Maybe they should be reminded that then can be cited for DC.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Isn't that like yelling fire in a crowded theater?
Maybe they should be reminded that then can be cited for DC.
I probably wouldn't have viewed it that way in this situation although I would have tactfully pointed out, "Sir; Your your extra loud 'Nice Gun' comment, although appreciated, could be construed by some as a direct attempt to intimidate."