• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ICarry to push for Constitution Carry (no permit aka Vermont style) in Wisconsin?

SAK

imported post

DISCLAIMER BY OP: Read carefully - this has been proposed and is not yet decided yet. But it looks good. Also, this is my thread so do NOT turn it into a permit vs. no permit discussion. Please respect that.

I've proposed to the ICarry board for ICarry to start laying the groundwork for vermont-style carry aka Constitution Carry next year for Wisconsin. Nothing will happen with the current governor in the way of legislation, but next year I think we have a real chance.

It will be much simpler from a legal standpoint to simply remove the prohibitions on concealed carry. Wisconsin already has open carry. All we need to do is remove the prohibitions against concealed carry, and fix the vehicle and Gun Free School Zones problem. The lawsuit filed by Wisconsin Carry is already underway to take care of the GFSZ.

It would be much more difficult to come up with a whole permit system, new paperwork, fees, red tape, bureaucrats, lots of $$$, etc to do a permit system. Wisconsin is in a very good position to go to Constitution Carry in my opinion. It's very worth the try for people to be able to carry according to their preference, what suits them best, what is most comfortable and most safe for them without having to ASK FOR PERMISSION FROM GOVERNMENT.

It is RIGHT to carry, not PRIVILEGE to carry. I think we should treat it as such. This is why I've proposed to the ICarry board to support this initiative. I will let everyone know what is decided.

Assuming this proposal passes and we decide to actively take this initiative for Constitution Carry in Wisconsin, who would be a volunteer to help us by doing some actual work?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I very much agree with you on this. This is the position I have taken from the very beginning.

No Compromise OCW/CCW non-permitted system. It is the only way too go and it will take far less effort by way of legislation to get there.

It would simply involve abolishing some of the unconstitutional laws instead of encating new ones.

By the way what do you mean by work?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Work is what you are paid for doing regardless of anything.

Play is what you pay to do.

SAK, ShaunKranish From ICarry.org, wrote:
Also, this is my thread so do NOT turn it into a permit vs. no permit discussion. Please respect that.
[sub]deleted personal attack.[/sub] ETA much later after getting an earful from SLimbaugh - "If everyone is thinking alike then somebody isn't thinking." Supposedly General George Patton said it but not in print.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Sounds good in theory. I think the expected SCOTUS ruling will play heavily in any future legislation or reduction there of. I think that there must be some way to keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals. How to do that without hampering those that are not would be the big question.

I also would like to know what work would require volunteers?

junkie

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Sounds good in theory.  I think the expected SCOTUS ruling will play heavily in any future legislation or reduction there of.   I think that there must be some way to keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals.  How to do that without hampering those that are not would be the big question.

What laws will you pass that criminals will follow? Criminals don't follow the current laws as it is. Violent criminals should stay in prison. Guns or not they are still violent.

SAK

imported post

Pushing for vermont-style carry would require a campaign. A unified message that can be repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated until everyone has heard it. So, we would need messengers. The campaign would start right away.

Distributing info, posting on the Internet, putting up fliers, etc.

If ICarry decides to go this route, which I'm hoping we do and your support will help decide that, then our work is definitely cut out for us. We will run this campaign to win. With the open carry movement so well established, I do believe we could pull it off. Just gotta get everyone on board with putting out the SAME identical message.

bigdaddy1

imported post

junkie wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:
Sounds good in theory. I think the expected SCOTUS ruling will play heavily in any future legislation or reduction there of. I think that there must be some way to keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals. How to do that without hampering those that are not would be the big question.

What laws will you pass that criminals will follow? Criminals don't follow the current laws as it is. Violent criminals should stay in prison. Guns or not they are still violent.
Sorry that you didnt understand my post. There should be some regulations that will prevent ex-cons (of violent crimes, I dont think that a white collarcon should forfeittheir right if the crime was non-violent) andthe mentally unstable from carrying firearms.

AaronS

imported post

SAK wrote:
DISCLAIMER BY OP: Read carefully - this has been proposed and is not yet decided yet. But it looks good. Also, this is my thread so do NOT turn it into a permit vs. no permit discussion. Please respect that.

I've proposed to the ICarry board for ICarry to start laying the groundwork for vermont-style carry aka Constitution Carry next year for Wisconsin. Nothing will happen with the current governor in the way of legislation, but next year I think we have a real chance.

It will be much simpler from a legal standpoint to simply remove the prohibitions on concealed carry. Wisconsin already has open carry. All we need to do is remove the prohibitions against concealed carry, and fix the vehicle and Gun Free School Zones problem. The lawsuit filed by Wisconsin Carry is already underway to take care of the GFSZ.

It would be much more difficult to come up with a whole permit system, new paperwork, fees, red tape, bureaucrats, lots of $$$, etc to do a permit system. Wisconsin is in a very good position to go to Constitution Carry in my opinion. It's very worth the try for people to be able to carry according to their preference, what suits them best, what is most comfortable and most safe for them without having to ASK FOR PERMISSION FROM GOVERNMENT.

It is RIGHT to carry, not PRIVILEGE to carry. I think we should treat it as such. This is why I've proposed to the ICarry board to support this initiative. I will let everyone know what is decided.

Assuming this proposal passes and we decide to actively take this initiative for Constitution Carry in Wisconsin, who would be a volunteer to help us by doing some actual work?
Let me know what you come up with. I would be happy to go door-to-door around the metro Milwaukee area.

hardballer

imported post

I can get behind this 100%. This is Constitutional carry and the law of the land, the Constitution (Law), authorizes it. We have allowed liberals and activist judges (making statutes against) to shred the Constitution but it still stands. We just have to take it back.

M

McX

imported post

were in, as individuals, and as a corp. if need be.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Your proposal sounds reasonable and I'd be behind it. Let's just think about some other rights guaranteed by the Constitution, in particular, the right to vote. We should be able to OC/CC with little restriction and no fees/test/certification.

Who would stand for a poll test/permit? Would you stand for taking a test before voting?

I'd be willing to volunteer depending on what is needed.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Captain Nemo wrote:
Aye. Thee of questioned faith that would wish for a gentle wind to stir the becalmed sea, only to see it arrive in the shape of a storm that sank the ship.

WTF you talking about Doug?

Article1section23

imported post

SAK,

I think this would be fairly easy to push for...since your Supreme Court has stated as much, depending on where and what the person is doing. You also have a district court opinion, allowing a "Pizza" delivery driver to carry concealed.

Without a doubt, you guys have some great info to push, from your judicial branch!
Good luck!!

bigdaddy1

imported post

Captain Nemo wrote:
p@p-f:

I am not Doug. I am no one. It simply means "be careful what you wish for". Or if this is more to your understanding, "you can't eat a large steak in one bite".
Sometimes when you get what you wish for, you live happily ever after....