Thread: Auburn Chapter of SCCC was approved yesterday

Post imported post

Yesterday the Student Senate approved the formation of Auburn Students for Concealed Carry. They had a bunch of questions and a couple voted against but one senator stood and thanked us for standing up for the second amendment. Check us out on Facebook and if you're an Auburn student, staff or faculty, we'd love to have you as a member. :celebrate
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2320882714&ref=ts

Banned

Post imported post

Do they advocate open carry, or just concealed carry?

Post imported post

From SCCC's website: "SCCC only advocates the legalization of CONCEALED carry by LICENSED individuals on COLLEGE campuses. SCCC has no official position on unlicensed concealed carry, open carry, or concealed carry on the campuses of primary or secondary schools."

Banned

Post imported post

I was wondering because this site advocates open carry, including on campuses where legal, and legalization where it is not.

Post imported post

Even if it's not focused on open carry, it's at least a step in the right direction, and a foot in the door is a good start.

Post imported post

It is a step in the right direction, however, concealed carry on college campuses is ALREADY legal in Alabama. As is open carry.

They are probably just trying to get the school to lift its "rules" against carrying weapons.

Either way, the more firearms advocates, the better. Good job, guys.
    A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
    But have his weapons to hand:
    He knows not when he may need a spear,
    Or what menace meet on the road.

- Odin
    The Havamal

Post imported post

You are correct, Jonathon. The senate asked about the laws against it and we were able to correct their misconceptions about that. Now we will work toward changing the university policy that prohibits weapons on campus. In the mean time, we hope to educate folks on gun safety, personal safety and the laws pertaining to guns and self protection.

Post imported post

GOOD TO HEAR!
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

I think what eye is saying is that since this is a CC only group, it doesn't belong on OCDO.

Normally he would be correct, but I would make the argument that since the focus of the group is to abolish the administrative restrictions against weapons on the campus of a public university (where it is otherwise legal to carry) they are helping our cause, just from a different angle. I think it's sad that they have to be wary of associating with what could be seen as a fringe or damaging influence on their purpose. By distancing themselves from open carry they can be seen as 'safer' by the people who have the power to change those rules. It is sad, but if it helps us in the end I will support it.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Post imported post

I realize that the primary focus of this forum is open carry. However, I hope we can all work together to make things better and sometimes I think that has to happen in small steps. Also, there is a whole topic devoted to GMU Students for Concealed Carry (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/) so I didn't think it was too inappropriate. Perhaps it should have gone in that topic but it seemed to me that it would be more relevant to folks in Alabama and Auburn students in particular. Thanks for a place to share common goals and good news.

Post imported post

If you haven't already I suggest you also post this at www.defensivecarry.com. In addition to open carry they have a large contingent of CCer's there too.

Good job BTW!!

MT

Post imported post

Monkeytown wrote:
    If you haven't already I suggest you also post this at http://www.defensivecarry.com. In addition to open carry they have a large contingent of CCer's there too.

Good job BTW!!

MT
    Huh? What?

I was banned from that board for just MENTIONING OC. I was told it is a CC ONLY site.

Things may have changed in the last 3 years or so though.

Post imported post

kingfish wrote:
    Monkeytown wrote:
    If you haven't already I suggest you also post this at http://www.defensivecarry.com. In addition to open carry they have a large contingent of CCer's there too.

Good job BTW!!

MT
    Huh? What?

I was banned from that board for just MENTIONING OC. I was told it is a CC ONLY site.

Things may have changed in the last 3 years or so though.
    Really? They have an entire Forum Section dedicated to OC these days and have had for at least the past year since I've been over there.

Post imported post

Monkeytown wrote:
    Really? They have an entire Forum Section dedicated to OC these days and have had for at least the past year since I've been over there.
    Really!

I guess they have wised up over the past couple years. Nice of them to give the OC movement a segregated space. Wouldn't want any of us troublemakers interfering with their peaceful life.

I joined quite a few sites before I found this one...<tear>I love you guys...<tear>

Post imported post

kingfish wrote:
    Monkeytown wrote:
    Really!

I guess they have wised up over the past couple years. Nice of them to give the OC movement a segregated space. Wouldn't want any of us troublemakers interfering with their peaceful life.

I joined quite a few sites before I found this one...<tear>I love you guys...<tear>
    Yeah, we still can't drink from the same water fountain as the CCer's!! haha

I rarely go there anymore....here and at Alabamaopencarry.com all the time.