• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Auburn Chapter of SCCC was approved yesterday

macgulley

imported post

Yesterday the Student Senate approved the formation of Auburn Students for Concealed Carry. They had a bunch of questions and a couple voted against but one senator stood and thanked us for standing up for the second amendment. Check us out on Facebook and if you're an Auburn student, staff or faculty, we'd love to have you as a member. :celebrate
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2320882714&ref=ts

macgulley

imported post

From SCCC's website: "SCCC only advocates the legalization of CONCEALED carry by LICENSED individuals on COLLEGE campuses. SCCC has no official position on unlicensed concealed carry, open carry, or concealed carry on the campuses of primary or secondary schools."

eye95

imported post

I was wondering because this site advocates open carry, including on campuses where legal, and legalization where it is not.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

It is a step in the right direction, however, concealed carry on college campuses is ALREADY legal in Alabama. As is open carry.

They are probably just trying to get the school to lift its "rules" against carrying weapons.

Either way, the more firearms advocates, the better. Good job, guys.

macgulley

imported post

You are correct, Jonathon. The senate asked about the laws against it and we were able to correct their misconceptions about that. Now we will work toward changing the university policy that prohibits weapons on campus. In the mean time, we hope to educate folks on gun safety, personal safety and the laws pertaining to guns and self protection.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I think what eye is saying is that since this is a CC only group, it doesn't belong on OCDO.

Normally he would be correct, but I would make the argument that since the focus of the group is to abolish the administrative restrictions against weapons on the campus of a public university (where it is otherwise legal to carry) they are helping our cause, just from a different angle. I think it's sad that they have to be wary of associating with what could be seen as a fringe or damaging influence on their purpose. By distancing themselves from open carry they can be seen as 'safer' by the people who have the power to change those rules. It is sad, but if it helps us in the end I will support it.

macgulley

imported post

I realize that the primary focus of this forum is open carry. However, I hope we can all work together to make things better and sometimes I think that has to happen in small steps. Also, there is a whole topic devoted to GMU Students for Concealed Carry (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/) so I didn't think it was too inappropriate. Perhaps it should have gone in that topic but it seemed to me that it would be more relevant to folks in Alabama and Auburn students in particular. Thanks for a place to share common goals and good news.

Kingfish

imported post

Monkeytown wrote:
If you haven't already I suggest you also post this at http://www.defensivecarry.com. In addition to open carry they have a large contingent of CCer's there too.

Good job BTW!!

MT
Huh? What?

I was banned from that board for just MENTIONING OC. I was told it is a CC ONLY site.

Things may have changed in the last 3 years or so though.

Monkeytown

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Monkeytown wrote:
If you haven't already I suggest you also post this at http://www.defensivecarry.com. In addition to open carry they have a large contingent of CCer's there too.

Good job BTW!!

MT
Huh? What?

I was banned from that board for just MENTIONING OC. I was told it is a CC ONLY site.

Things may have changed in the last 3 years or so though.
Really? They have an entire Forum Section dedicated to OC these days and have had for at least the past year since I've been over there.

Kingfish

imported post

Monkeytown wrote:
Really? They have an entire Forum Section dedicated to OC these days and have had for at least the past year since I've been over there.
Really!

I guess they have wised up over the past couple years. Nice of them to give the OC movement a segregated space. Wouldn't want any of us troublemakers interfering with their peaceful life.

I joined quite a few sites before I found this one...<tear>I love you guys...<tear>

Monkeytown

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Monkeytown wrote:
Really!

I guess they have wised up over the past couple years. Nice of them to give the OC movement a segregated space. Wouldn't want any of us troublemakers interfering with their peaceful life.

I joined quite a few sites before I found this one...<tear>I love you guys...<tear>

Yeah, we still can't drink from the same water fountain as the CCer's!! haha

I rarely go there anymore....here and at Alabamaopencarry.com all the time.