• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Decent holster for a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded??

Assod101

imported post

Im new to the open carry and i have a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded. Never need a holster before and not to happy with the holster it came with. I was looking at blackhawk and they look good. Now i really want an affordable holster. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Superlite27

imported post

Well, My own personal taste might be different than yours, so you will have to weigh your preferences against mine.

I use one of several criteria for my holster selecting.I have already seen the word "affordable" mentioned. This is not one of the criteria I use, so my choices probably won't "mesh" with yours very well.

The way I look at it is: It is one item to purchase (holster) for one item I will carry (my firearm)....for a long time. It's not like I will need a new one every week. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why folks will spend $600 on a nice new pistol.....then refuse to spend more than $5 on an item that they are going to need as long as they need the pistol.

They will then spend $500 over the next ten years trying to find a $5 holster they like and end up with 100 poorly made, cheap, crappy holsters.

So I toss out cost as a criteria for holster selection. I use comfort as my primary choice. Not only comfort meaning "fit to my body" but comfort as it pertains to "mode of carry" or the way I prefer to carry my firearm.

I carry an STI 1911 at 5 o'clock (Over my right rear pocket) In a Bianchi CarryLok http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=885982when I am OC'ing because of the retention, but I like my Galco http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=710314when I CC. (Note: these are links to holsters for MY firearms and might not necessarily fit yours!)

I will list several holster types and my reason for liking/disliking each. Please don't feel like you need to follow my preferences. You should determine this for yourself.

I like a forward cant because my presentation is faster with this style. You may draw quicker from a straight cant or cross draw.

I like leather as opposed to Kydex. Kydex is too "stiff" for me. I like the feel of leather and how it conforms to both my gun and my body. I have a kydex paddle holster (Fobus) and it works, but it isn'tcomfortablefor me. Feels kinda like sticking a 2x4 into my waistline.

Speaking of waistlines, I'm a strictly OWB guy. IWB looks nice, is easily concealable, and offers good retention.....but once again...comfort. I'll probably have the Milt Sparksfans all in a tizzy about how their holsters are very comfortable, but for MY preference, the only thing that belongs in my pants is me, or a pretty girl. I'll stick with my gun OUTSIDE my waist band, thank you. You might like it inside your pants with you. That's your choice.

I prefer open top holsters. I'm just not a thumb strap guy.

I like belt loop holsters. Just personal preference. Paddles just feel like stickinga board in your pants. Once again, the only thing I want in my pants is me.

Well Assod, those are a few of my likes and dislikes. The way I look at holsters is the very same way I look at shoes. They're not that much different. One accessory goes on your feet, the other on your waist. I'd use the same method you use for choosing your shoes to choose your holster. Some of us are more utilitarian and prefer function over form, some of us are more stylish and want something that looks good, some are more price inclined and want cheap versus expensive, and some like me are comfort oriented and favor feel over style, or function. I would argue that due to comfort, function is greatly increased due to ease of use. This is why I personally choose comfort over other methods of selection ilike price and style. Since I am investing in an item, my return is years of good service. Although, I would not rule out trying a few cheap holsters before making a major purchase. This way, you could try a few inexpensive ones to help you determine your prefences before plopping down a hefty sum. Although, in the long run, I reccommend eventually making the investment.

Good luck. Although, since you are now a 1911 owner, you evidently have plenty of skill, style, knowledge, and ouright coolness to outclass ten Glockheads.:p

soldier.53

imported post

I would go to a gun store try out some Holster's that you like and feels good for you. Then check out on line for the same Holster at a better price! I like to shop at the sportsmanguide.com they have great prices and sell the same one's you can find at the gun store, but at 1/2 the price! or other on line shops. but you have have to put the time in and pick one that fits you and your gun! good luck and have a great day! make it a fun Day!

daddy4count

imported post

IMO you can't go wrong with the Serpa... but poly holsters aren't nearly as comfortable as leather.

Try out a Galco FLETCH and see how it feels... just make sure you have a decent belt too. That will make as much difference in the feel on your hip as a good holster will...

I carried a 1911 in a FLETCH for several years... I loved it.

I currently have a 3-slot Galco which is my favorite leather belt rig... only because they didn't make the FLETCH for the XD when I bought it.

Dreamer

imported post

By "affordable" I'm assuming you're trying to keep it WAY under $100, and probably under $50, right?

Look at the Blackhawk Serpa CQC. It's a Level 2 retention holster, you can get them in a variety of colors (black, tan, OD, carbon fiber), and it is a FAST drawing holster. Plus they come with BOTH paddle and belt-slot mounts, and you can buy an optional drop-loop mount for winter OC so it's not covered by a jacket. You can get a Serpa CQC for well under $50 if you shop around.

If you want to REALY go on the cheap, I'd recommend a Galco Paddle Lite paddle holster. It is a thumb-break paddle holster, and is made with an attractive and understated black suede-like material. I bought one while I was waiting for my Serpa to arrive, and used it as a "range holster" and for occasional OC and CC. It's a very servicable holster, holds up well, and can be had for under $30 new. In fact, I would be willing to let mine go (I've probably only used it a dozen times) for a REALLY good price (I still have the original packaging for it too!) If you are interested, PM me.

There are a BUNCH of nylon holsters out there for under $40 that will fit your pistol. Personally, I don't care for most nylon holsters, because they tend to be bulky, not as comfortable, and most of them look sort of lumpy and "cheap". But a lot of folks seem to use them, especially if you are on a budget, and I haven't heard anyone complain about their functionality...

My firearm is a precision tool, and deserves to be carried in a holster that is made specifically for it, functions well, and LOOKS good doing it. I know that not everyone can afford a high-end leather rig like the Galco Fletch mentioned above (looks GREAT, but usually costs over $100). But there are plenty of lower-cost (under $50) holsters out there that look and function perfectly fine without looking like some sort of generic camping pouch.

Also, you might keep an eye on EBAY. You can often get some of these high-end holsters for bargain prices used on EBAY. I just picked up a Galco SSS for my Para on EBAY for $36 +shipping (those holsters retail from $85-110). Epic WIN...

xDayan

imported post

Dreamer wrote
you can buy an optional drop-loop mount for winter OC so it's not covered by a jacket.

Can you link to that? xD I looked around and couldnt find one, I'll need it in winter to oc in alaska >.<

daddy4count

imported post

http://www.google.com/products?q=bl...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEAQrQQwAg

there is a list of shopping links for it... I got mine from Blackhawk on sale a couple years ago. It was under $50 incl. shipping. (but you have to already own the Serpa)

I bought it for backpacking to keep the gun off my belt. It is the absolute best thigh rig I've ever used... still flops a bit, but far more secure and stable than any other I have tried.

Same goes for the Serpa on paddle... it's the only paddle holster I like.

xDayan

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
http://www.google.com/products?q=blackhawk+serpa+thigh+rig&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=2NgPTJS_MMi0nAenkbzMDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEAQrQQwAg

there is a list of shopping links for it... I got mine from Blackhawk on sale a couple years ago. It was under $50 incl. shipping. (but you have to already own the Serpa)

I bought it for backpacking to keep the gun off my belt. It is the absolute best thigh rig I've ever used... still flops a bit, but far more secure and stable than any other I have tried.

Same goes for the Serpa on paddle... it's the only paddle holster I like.

Thanks alot for that link, I'm gonna buy the serpa today for my S&W 1911 I'm gonna hold off on the drop loop or w/e till it starts getting cold lol

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Another vote here for the Serpa. For concealed carry, I prefer a Galco Combat Master, but the security of the Serpa is important when carrying openly. With a little practice, you can draw and re-holster rapidly without looking at it. Don't practice with a loaded pistol, of course.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I like the Galco Paddle Lite for my Kimber. It is a light weight leather paddle holster with a thumb strap. I also have a Fobus paddle holster, some semi-generic belt loop holster with thumb strap, and an Uncle Mikes IWB which actually isn't too bad!

open4years

imported post

I prefer a locking holster for OC. I've been very pleased with Serpa level II holsters. I like their carbon fiber holster even if they do call it a CC holster!

DavidC77

imported post

Assod101 wrote:
Im new to the open carry and i have a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded. Never need a holster before and not to happy with the holster it came with. I was looking at blackhawk and they look good. Now i really want an affordable holster. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

I like leather thumb break holsters, you have to watch out for some holsters as they will not allow the 1911 to be carryed "cocked & locked".

I use a DeSantis 1CL when I carry my 1911 http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/browse.do?action=refresh_browse&ctg_id=3986 (my regular carry gun is a S&W M&P 40 FS that at this time I carry in a FLETCH holster) .

I really like the Galco FLETCH but if I remember right you can not carry C&Led with that holster.

I have started carrying my guns in Holsters from Mernickle Custom Holsters http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm

I have a holster as well as my belt from them, they make a great product and stand behind their stuff 100 percent.

I'm going to have a thumb break holster http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm (the TB holster is not pitchered it's a PS6-T) made for my S&W 1911 and my M&P. They are also going to make a Mag holder for me.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: