• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapons Retention Training in Pittsburgh

Shawn.L

imported post

Date and Time: Sunday, June 6, 2010, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Cost: $100, payable upon enrollment.

Place: Kim’s Martial Arts & Fitness, 3606 Brownsville Road (South Hills of Pittsburgh).

General Description: This is a one day (seven hour) seminar designed to illustrate the problems, issues and techniques associated with retaining a hand gun against attempts by another party to take control of one’s weapon and, conversely, to illustrate methods of disarming an individual armed with a hand gun.

The course includes straightforward explanations of the following:
• The difference between a “gun grab” and a disarm.
• Recognizing lines of attack
• How to position oneself to guard against or effect a disarm
• The mechanics of disarms and retention
• What sorts of movements are required to defeat or effect “gun grabs” and disarms
• Holsters and equipment as solutions to disarms or invitations to trouble

There are serious legal consequences attendant upon carrying a gun and having it taken or disarming another – presumably and attacker – and then using that weapon. The seminar therefore includes a discussion (by a practicing attorney) of the legal issues which arise when one: (a) carries a firearm in a holster - concealed or openly - and is not trained to ward off an attempt by another to take control of that weapon; and/or (b) disarms another individual and then uses that other individual’s weapon to inflict harm.

Contemporaneous with these explanations and discussions, there will demonstrations and instruction on specific techniques which can be used to maintain control of one’s weapon as well as to disarm another. The objective of instructing in these techniques is to give course participants sufficient experience with how the methods work to allow them to evaluate whether they wish to take further instruction so as to achieve competence.

This is not a training seminar; one simply cannot learn to do these things in an afternoon. This is a familiarization course, designed to enable participants to understand what is involved, so they can make an educated determination whether they need or want training.

Prerequisites: None. Physical exertion is moderate; one can expect to be pushed, grabbed and fall down (and to push and grab others) but not to be thrown, struck or engage in any fighting. No martial arts background is required; however, if one happens to have martial arts training, the instructor will integrate the martial arts experience of individual participants on a student-by-student basis.

Equipment Requirements: An inert training gun (“red gun,” “blue gun,” etc.), a holster to fit that particular training gun, and a substantial belt to support the holster. The PFDC can supply a limited number of such training guns for those who do not have their own.

Attire: Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing. No jewelry (watches, earrings, studs, etc.) may be worn during the seminar. No shoes are permitted in the training (mat) area, so expect to go bare-foot or wear socks.

Instructor: Peter Georgiades. A firearms instructor since 1996, Peter emphasizes to firearms students the need to acquire basic knowledge necessary to avoid an attack long enough to bring their firearm into play. He is a graduate of the Operational Skills Group Contact Weapons Defense Instructor course, and is ranked NiDan (2nd Dan) in Judo (medalist at USJA Senior National Championships, Masters Division, 2005 and 2007; Pennsylvania State Champion 2010, open class, over 55 age division). Graduate of the Gunsite Training Academy L. E. Carbine Instructor Certification Course, Marksman’s Enterprise 3 day instructor courses for carbine and pistol and numerous instructor clinics with Giles Stock and through IALEFI. Certified to instruct by the NRA (rifle, pistol, shotgun and personal protection) and the State of Arizona (Certificate No. 8769268), and a member of the International Ass'n. of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI).

DRIVING DIRECTIONS and ENROLLMENT FORMS can be downloaded at www.fireinstitute.org.
For additional information call 412/ 381-8035

This seminar does not involve the handling of any functional firearms. All exercises will be performed using inert training guns. No firearms, ammunition, edged weapons or sharp implements are permitted to be in the training area. (There are lockers where such implements may be stored on premises during the course; seminar participants are responsible for bringing their own padlock.)

david.ross

imported post

Shawn.L,

I may sign up depending on whether or not I find a job in the Pittsburgh area by then.

I'm sort of curious, since I know this isn't a full course of training, just 7 hours. Do you know if people enrolled will be allowed to throw the person attempting to grab the firearm?

Shawn.L

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Shawn.L,

I may sign up depending on whether or not I find a job in the Pittsburgh area by then.

I'm sort of curious, since I know this isn't a full course of training, just 7 hours. Do you know if people enrolled will be allowed to throw the person attempting to grab the firearm?

Last time participants where first taught how to fall properly ;)

You will be shown, and then instructed through, and be able to practice various moves. So you will not be "allowed to throw" them in the manner that you may just do whatever it is you want to do, but you may be presented with techniques that have a throw.