• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC While In Car

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just wanted to get some ideas of others on how you OC while in the car driving. I have a XDm with a BlackHawk Serpa slightly canted so that the barrel is somewhat to my rear and the grip is slightly to my front so that when I sit down in the seat it doesn't bind up and push around on the seat back.

Maybe because the XDm grip handle is long I am running into this problem. Kind of a pain in the butt sometimes.

What do you do?

Thanks.

flagellum

imported post

I have the same weapon, same issues. The best to remedy it was add a slight cant (like you have done) but that's all that I know of. I know they also make quick release Sepras, that one of the guys in here use. That way you could just take it off while you drive.

doninvegas

imported post

Maybe not ware the gun while driving...... or just carry it on the seat next to you...
Or carry a different gun ..:)

doninvegas

imported post

ha ha ha ....yep...best to buy her a nice 38 snub with a cross draw holster....and borrow it when you drive....most folks that carry all the time have more than one gun...you cant have to many tools...:lol:

Remmy

imported post

flagellum wrote:
I have the same weapon, same issues.  The best to remedy it was add a slight cant (like you have done) but that's all that I know of.  I know they also make quick release Sepras, that one of the guys in here use.  That way you could just take it off while you drive.

affordable solution at that, heres a link to purchase Serpa Quck Disconnect System the system its so affordable you can buy multiples I know some people have mounted these in their cars to attach it there so many uses for this i plan on doing this for all my serpas

I have found with my M&P 40c while carrying it on a crossbreed OWB holster if i dont have it 3 o clock if i take a corner too fast the pressure of my body against the gun will depress the mag release, I have to modify the leather to shave out some of it to add space but after that i dont expect to have any issues, my 1911 in the serpa just takes me grabbing it and making sure its straight up and down. but different cars that have seats with that sort of lock you in on the sides causes me problems always.

doninvegas

imported post

one5oh2nv wrote:
The quick release is really neat! How strong is it?
Those holsters look cool....But i knew a guy in Phoenix that while at a function OCing with his $1500 custom Colt 1911, someone just walked up behind him and grabbed the holster and one quick twisted it broke it off.....he just pointed the gun at the owner and told him to walk away....
I still like CC best....and no one can grab it...

just my two cents worth..

Loneviking

imported post

doninvegas wrote:
one5oh2nv wrote:
The quick release is really neat! How strong is it?
Those holsters look cool....But i knew a guy in Phoenix that while at a function OCing with his $1500 custom Colt 1911, someone just walked up behind him and grabbed the holster and one quick twisted it broke it off.....he just pointed the gun at the owner and told him to walk away....
I still like CC best....and no one can grab it...

just my two cents worth..
The holster is the problem! Any of the paddle holsters, most of the quick disconnect holsters can be broken off like that. The Serpa is also known to have problems with triggers being tripped while holstering. A very good training group called Suarez International won't allow Serpas at their classes after several accidents with them. At least two of those accidents happened to ex-military, special ops types with years of firearms training and handling behind them.

Anyway, if you're going to carry, use a pancake design or some other type that firmly ties the weapon onto your body. Bianchi and Safariland are two names that have very good holsters with high retention levels. It just makes me shudder when I see a weapon wobbling around in one of those POS Uncle Mike nylon holsters. Things like that don't help the OC image.

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a BlackHawk Serpa Level 2 retention (adjustment screw to tighten the slide out of the gun, and index finger release). I have been very pleased with it. The gun stays in solid, doesn't move around one bit. I have been literally running and jumping up and down in my house to try to make it come loose, still nothing.

Because of the safety system my gun uses, not really worried about discharge with trigger movement or anything like that, however if this was the case I would be concerned.

flagellum

imported post

I've heard the arguments against sepra regarding accidental discharge, and ex-military or not those instances can only beblamed on user error.

MPlannette

imported post

The problem is not the holster. The Serpas are just as sturdy as any of the other holsters out there. The was a lot here say about ADs from the Serpa system. Yes, they are not dummy proof, if you have your finger on the trigger and try to re holster, you're gun might just go off. This is kind of like blaming a Glock for an AD.

I have the QD system and was a little worried about the strength of it prior to buying it, after looking it over and using it I have no worries. The holster will break before the Quick Disconnect will. And as for someone walking up and being able to disconnect it, the TWO release tabs are so small and hidden it would impossible for someone to remove unless you were asleep. This shouldn't provide anyone with a false sense of security, practicing gun retention is crucial when OCing.

As for "Special Ops" types having ADs with the Serpa system, I can't find any credible evidence of this happening. What I was able to find were testimonials from ex SF guys working as private contractors that have used Serpas over in Iraq and Afghanistan without any problems. I do know that my dad who happens to be an ex Green Beret has been using one for a couple months and really likes it.

I don't think the system is perfect, my guns do tend to show an awful lot of holster wear when compared to other holsters, but I think its a decent trade off for the ergonomics of the holster.

Loneviking

imported post

MPlannette wrote:
The problem is not the holster. The Serpas are just as sturdy as any of the other holsters out there. The was a lot here say about ADs from the Serpa system. Yes, they are not dummy proof, if you have your finger on the trigger and try to re holster, you're gun might just go off. This is kind of like blaming a Glock for an AD.

I have the QD system and was a little worried about the strength of it prior to buying it, after looking it over and using it I have no worries. The holster will break before the Quick Disconnect will. And as for someone walking up and being able to disconnect it, the TWO release tabs are so small and hidden it would impossible for someone to remove unless you were asleep. This shouldn't provide anyone with a false sense of security, practicing gun retention is crucial when OCing.

As for "Special Ops" types having ADs with the Serpa system, I can't find any credible evidence of this happening. What I was able to find were testimonials from ex SF guys working as private contractors that have used Serpas over in Iraq and Afghanistan without any problems. I do know that my dad who happens to be an ex Green Beret has been using one for a couple months and really likes it.

I don't think the system is perfect, my guns do tend to show an awful lot of holster wear when compared to other holsters, but I think its a decent trade off for the ergonomics of the holster.
Here, go read:

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=49242&highlight=serpa+discharge

flagellum

imported post

Well it even says: "While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger."

Sounds like a training issue to me.

MPlannette

imported post

It really doesn't matter that the goofballs that had ADs were "seasoned operators", they made mistakes and those mistakes resulted in ADs. As flagellum pointed out, they even admit that those mistakes were a result of using the system improperly. Now I don't know about you guys, but my finger ends up in the same place whether I'm using a thumb break holster, or a Serpa, along the frame. Guns don't just go off, they're not magical creatures, they're tools. I think the trigger nut might just be the problem.

If a couple instructors don't want to use them, that's fine. I know of many schools that do allow them. If you don't like the feel of the holster, great, but to think it "makes guns go off" is crazy".

Remmy

imported post

I dont believe in one solution for everything, the sepra is an excellent platform for its uses, also safariland has some great stuff as well just a lil more on the higher end of the price scale. I am of the mind that no one will tell me something is bad, just because one training facility experienced two, negligent discharges does not dictate to me that the product is unsafe. I would never call them accidents as i am a firm believer that guns dont "accidentally" go off they are negligently discharged due to lack of training and unsafe handling practices. I decide for myself upon using the product if its right for my use or not. There will always be critics opinions, much like assholes everyones got on.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

dchoepp wrote:
I just wanted to get some ideas of others on how you OC while in the car driving. I have a XDm with a BlackHawk Serpa slightly canted so that the barrel is somewhat to my rear and the grip is slightly to my front so that when I sit down in the seat it doesn't bind up and push around on the seat back.

Maybe because the XDm grip handle is long I am running into this problem. Kind of a pain in the butt sometimes.

What do you do?
I do what works, depending on the car and what I'm wearing. Sometimes that's a canted holster, sometimes it's a crossdraw or shoulder rig, sometimes it's putting the pistol into a holster in the car.

merle

imported post

I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster which I normally "kidney carry". However, when I am about to get into the car I slide the holster forward into what they would call "appendix carry". It clears the safety belt mechanism and allows access. When I get out of the car, I slide it back again.

Basically switching between 2 and 4 o'clock.