• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

zer0cool

imported post

I posted this in the TN section but not much interest apparently. So I thought I'd let my fellow Kentuckians know what I found while getting some R&R down south. I know a lot of us like to venture south for a little get away and scenic hiking while making sure we can defend ourselves.

We went hiking on several trails in the NP, and at the entrance to each one I kept seeing this sign:
attachment.php

For something that is void, they all looked pretty new. :banghead::cuss:

srwalter

imported post

I was just doing some research, and found this interesting paragraph on tennessee.gov:

Because signage prohibiting the possessing of firearms while
within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail,
campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that
is owned or operated by the state, or instrumentality thereof, and posted
pursuant to § 39-17-1311, prior to July 1, 2009, remains necessary for
visitors who are not authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to subsection
(b), the department shall not replace or change any existing signs that
prohibit firearms or erect any new signs at existing state areas relative to
firearms. However, the department may replace or repair signs that have
been damaged or are scheduled for replacement in accordance with the
park’s regular replacement schedule.

IANAL, but my reading of that says "we're keeping the signs up because people without permits still can't possess firearms in the park."

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/handguntca.htm

zer0cool

imported post

Good call srwalter. That's how I'm reading it... Just in a way its misleading, it may make other license holders nervous and decide not to carry just to be safe. In a way, I think thats what they're hoping for:cuss:

The only thing I can say is if they wish to convey that message (Without a license you cannot carry a firearm) Then it should say so.

NO FIREARMS PERMITTED (WITHOUT PROPER PERMIT/LICENSE)

Just my .2 cents :dude: