• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ever herd of these for self-defense?

sevenplusone

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:

Jacketed Soft Points

I just bought a couple of boxes to go with the 9mm I got for my father in-law, and I think I may get a few more for my brother.

What do you think???

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-457

God Bless

Jacketed Soft Points have been around for years. I carry something similar in my .38specials.

The only issue I would take with these particular rounds is how light they are. 95gr isn't much. I'm sure they will work, not optimal perhaps.

Tao

imported post

There are certain guns/calibers that JSP's are good for, .38spl being one of them, and wheel guns in general.

The soft point isn't a good match for autoloaders, especially the compact sizes with very steep feed ramps.

For a caliber with the appropriate horsepower, and for autoloaders, you're better off with a JHP of modern design.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It looks like you got a good deal, check to see if his 9mm can feed them fast without jams. No jams = buy more! If they do hang up try these:

I have used these and they feed flawlessly under rapid fire conditions out of my 9mm.
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

I know they're pricey but look at the specs: Then ask what's it worth to have peace of mind knowing the ammo is up to the task.

http://www.corbon.com/

fozzy71

imported post

Excellent choice. I am carrying these currently, from their sister company.

9mm Luger Plus P 115gr COR®BON Self-Defense JHP

COR®BON's Traditional Jacketed Hollow Point ammunition made its reputation with "high velocity" loads. This high velocity, combined with our exclusively designed, jacketed hollow point bullets, makes for a very effective self-defensive load. Penetration and expansion in our test medium of 10% ballistic gelatin are excellent; expansion is consistently 2 times the original diameter of the bullet. Depending on caliber and bullet weight, penetration is between 9 and 14 inches.

At COR®BON, we believe that velocity is king! Higher energies enhance bullet performance and increase stopping power.
Caliber: 9mm Luger Plus P
Bullet Wt.: 115gr COR®BON Self-Defense JHP
Velocity: 1350fps
Energy: 466ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 4.0 Inches

SD09115-LG.jpg

CrimDoc

imported post

I agree with what others have said ... if your pistol will feed them reliably, they're probably a good choice.

My home defense .357 magnum revolver is loaded with JSPs.

eastmeyers wrote:

Jacketed Soft Points

I just bought a couple of boxes to go with the 9mm I got for my father in-law, and I think I may get a few more for my brother.

What do you think???

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-457

God Bless

Bronson

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:

Oh yeah? Well I'm carrying the Corbon DPX in .45 acp 185 gr. +P :p:D

DPX45185-LG.jpg

The all-copper bullet construction conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel while still maintaining its integrity. This is an optimum load for Law Enforcement.

- Deep penetration on soft tissue 12-17 inches.
- Easily conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel.
- Reduced recoil due to lighter-weight projectile.
- Lead-free projectile.
- Environmentally friendly!
*CERTIFIED: CALIFORNIA LEAD FREE*

• Caliber: 45 Auto Plus P
  • Bullet Wt.: 185gr Self-Defense DPX
  • Velocity: 1075fps
  • Energy: 475ftlbs
  • Test Barrel Length: 5.0 Inches
    20 rounds per box.
It is easily the most consistent ammo I have ever used. It does what the manufacturer says it will do everytime I have ever tested it, in any caliber I have tried.

Corbon makes good stuff, although one of the weirdest failures I've ever seen was with PowerBall. The primer came apart and a little piece of it got pulled back into the firing pin hole in the slide and got jammed in there.

Bronson

malignity

imported post

I personally use Cor'Bon as well, but plan on shooting them off or selling them for some Hornady Critical Defense, now that they make them in all popular calibers.

CD rounds are the 'new and improved' Pow'r Ball. Same design, better application. According to multiple gun magazines i've read, these babies are the new 'top dog'.

Bronson

imported post

malignity wrote:
I personally use Cor'Bon as well, but plan on shooting them off or selling them for some Hornady Critical Defense, now that they make them in all popular calibers.

CD rounds are the 'new and improved' Pow'r Ball. Same design, better application. According to multiple gun magazines i've read, these babies are the new 'top dog'.

A fellow on another forum I frequent has been doing some hillbilly ammo testing. Nothing fancy just water jugs with 4 layers of denim in front. The CD ammo failed to expand after passing through the fabric and penetrated all of his jugs. The DPX worked as advertised in the same test. I have personally fired DPX through 8 layers of canvas into water and it still expanded as advertised.

I've also witnessed Hornady TAP andoriginal Black Talons fail after passing through clothing into water. They both worked great as long as they didn't have to pass through cloth.

Just sayin'.

Bronson

malignity

imported post

Bronson wrote:
malignity wrote:

A fellow on another forum I frequent has been doing some hillbilly ammo testing. Nothing fancy just water jugs with 4 layers of denim in front. The CD ammo failed to expand after passing through the fabric and penetrated all of his jugs. The DPX worked as advertised in the same test. I have personally fired DPX through 8 layers of canvas into water and it still expanded as advertised.

I've also witnessed Hornady TAP andoriginal Black Talons fail after passing through clothing into water. They both worked great as long as they didn't have to pass through cloth.

Just sayin'.

Bronson

Are you 100% positive these are Hornady Critical Defense and not some other round? (They've only been out a year or two) They supposedly have 100% reliability for expansion, that's why I'm making sure. Every test I've seen thus far, every single bullet expands EXACTLY the same each time, through clothing, etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wanted to double check to make sure. (It's got a similar design to a Pow'r Ball, and the simple design of a Pow'r Ball has no choice but to expand with 100% reliability. The ball forces the round open upon contact, no way around it.)

hornady2.gif

critical_defense_mushrooms.jpg

fozzy71

imported post

Bronson wrote:
fozzy71 wrote:

Oh yeah?  Well I'm carrying the Corbon DPX in .45 acp 185 gr. +P :p :D

If they would have had these locally I would have bought them. I will probably order some when I decided to shoot off these ones I have now. These corbons shoot nice and they locked my slide back consistently. Winchester Whites and Remington Golden Sabers both fail to lock the slide back once in a while, perhaps once every 3 - 5 clips.

Bronson

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
If they would have had these locally I would have bought them. I will probably order some when I decided to shoot off these ones I have now. These corbons shoot nice and they locked my slide back consistently. Winchester Whites and Remington Golden Sabers both fail to lock the slide back once in a while, perhaps once every 3 - 5 clips.

I've foundgood prices and service here:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/

http://www.the-armory.com/

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

malignity wrote:
Are you 100% positive these are Hornady Critical Defense and not some other round? (They've only been out a year or two) They supposedly have 100% reliability for expansion, that's why I'm making sure. Every test I've seen thus far, every single bullet expands EXACTLY the same each time, through clothing, etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wanted to double check to make sure. (It's got a similar design to a Pow'r Ball, and the simple design of a Pow'r Ball has no choice but to expand with 100% reliability. The ball forces the round open upon contact, no way around it.)

I searched the other gun forum for the link but couldn't find it. I've asked to be directed to it and am waiting for a response.

Don't believe advertising and gun magazine hype, NOTHING is 100% reliable. Test them for yourself. It's why I don't carry Golden Sabres anymore. 3 shots into water with two not expanding at all and one partially expanding. I won't carry Hornady TAP, Black Talons, Hydroshoks, Magtech Guardian Gold, or any of the exotic frangible ammo.They have all failed in simple water jug + 4 layers of denim/canvas testsdone by me orfriends that I trust.

My own experience will always outweigh what others tell me....which is why I continue to open carry :D

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
So far I have 5 that have passed my home tests.

Hornady XTP in 9x18

Federal Tactical HST

Federal EFMJ

Speer Gold Dot

Winchester SXT

Haven't tested the 9x18 or the EFMJ but I've alos seen the rest of these pass simple home tests as well.

My own personal choice of the Corbon DPX is because of it's consistency and the fact that it is impossible for the jacket to separate from the core because it is solid copper. Nothing is 100% and I've seen online tests where the DPX failed but the vast majority of them, including my own, have performed exactly as advertised. I also like that Corbon generates their test numbers by firing the ammo through real guns and not long test barrels. Case in point, their .380 tests are done from the very short barrelled Kel-Tec P3AT which is one of the most popular .380 guns available.

It is expensive but I feel that I am worth it :D

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

malignity wrote:
Are you 100% positive these are Hornady Critical Defense and not some other round?

Just heard back from the guy who isdoing the testing. The other board had a server malfunciton and several posts were lost, his post about the C.D. ammo being one of them...which is why I couldn't find it.

Here's his response:
Yes, Bronson...

I did do a water jug test with Hornady C.D./9mm/115gr./FTX.

I do remember it's results: The bullet never expanded with the 4 layers of denim. The round settled in the 4th jug, plugged with denim and the rubber tip was also found in the 4th... I deleted the photo of the bullet, the video and sold the C.D. on GunBroker afterward.
He also did a test without the denim and it performed very well in that instance. He has had several big name ammo brands do well in water tests until they are shot through clothing. Most notably are the Hornady C.D., original Black Talons, Federal Hydrashoks, Magtech Guardian Gold, and Remington Golden Sabers.

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

I just ran into this out on the interwebnetz.....
Steve Johnson, Hornady Marketing Communications Manager, the Critical Defense line of handgun ammunition: ...is not designed to shoot through glass, is not designed to shoot through a car door, and is not designed to shoot through a wall. If you have to shoot through something like that in a personal defense situation you're probably going to jail.

NRA's American Guardian TV

Hmmm.....

Corbon DPX:

The all-copper bullet construction conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel while still maintaining its integrity. This is an optimum load for Law Enforcement.

- Deep penetration on soft tissue 12-17 inches.
- Easily conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel.
- Reduced recoil due to lighter-weight projectile.
- Lead-free projectile.
- Environmentally friendly!
*CERTIFIED: CALIFORNIA LEAD FREE*

• Caliber: 45 Auto
  • Bullet Wt.: 160gr Self-Defense DPX
  • Velocity: 1050fps
  • Energy: 392ftlbs
  • Test Barrel Length: 3.0 Inches

Bronson