• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 days solid OC Castle Rock

CRCowboy

imported post

I'll start right off the bat telling you ---- I have not encountered any LEO. I haven't done anything to avoid them, but I haven't walked up and asked for directions either. As far as I'm concerned, ifa LEOinitiates contact, I'll be polite. As I would be in any situation contacting LE, or anyone else. I am not anti - LE. I've had contact with many of the local guy, at one time or another and find them to be a VERY decent bunch. Both CRPD and Douglass County Sheriff.

So far OC has been a non-issue in Home Depot, Lowes, 1st Bank, Autozone, Rampart Feed, Super Cuts, (Yes I went and got my hair cut OC) 3 gas stations, (Went inside to pay) Napa auto parts, Walgreen's, Safeway, King soopers and more places I can't remember. I just went about my business. The only place I left my gun in the car was when I went to the post office.

I made an effort to go to places I don't frequent. I figured,if they know you well, your not getting an honest sample of public reaction.

NO ONE, not a single person, gave me a sideways glance or asked a question.

Maybe I LOOK like a cop ----- maybe I was lucky.It's only 2 days.I guess we'll see. The first LEO encounter will be the test I guess.

CARRY ON!!!!!!!!

Kingfish

imported post

Way to go...Awesome report. Feels really free doesn't it?

I can't wait to get out of the Jim Crow south and back out to Free Colorado.

Diocoles

imported post

Looking over Colorado Statutes, Constitution and Conceal Carry regulations.

Looked at the Postal sites.

The Postal Service quit being a Government entity quite a while ago.

I can't find any regulations or laws that say you can't carry in the Post Office.

Can someone clarify or provide quoted sources to either effect?

groats

imported post

39 CFR 232.1, which clearly does prohibit guns in post offices. In pertinent part, it states:

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

SDguy

imported post

groats wrote:
39 CFR 232.1, which clearly does prohibit guns in post offices. In pertinent part, it states:

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
Yup, and my local post office has a no firearms sign clearly posted at the front.

Diocoles

imported post

groats wrote:

Thanks.... gosh, it goes to show how much those regulations and signs help, doesn't it..... :banghead:

CRCowboy

imported post

groats wrote:

I just Knew in my gut the post office wasoff limits. Didn't even look for a sign.

Thanks for the site groats!!!!!

CARRT ON!!!

Diocoles

imported post

Ya know, the more I've thought about it... There have been too many incidents at Postal facilities in the past.

To tell me I can't even carry concealed is like telling me I have to be a sheep and let the bad wolf eat me.

To tell me I have to be unarmed in a known dangerous location with a history of shootings and killings, without armed protection around... nope. That's just insane.

I would never condone nor suggest anyone do anythingillegal.

This sounds more like a rant on the postal office. Sorry.

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

The CR contingency is growing here in Douglas County. All my expereince's have been positive. Was at Home Depot last week getting some O-Ring gaskets and one of the guys was helping be, he looked at my gun like 3-4 times,but I never asked if he was interested in guns... Just watch out for that CSCity guy, as he is a documented trouble maker here in CR....:celebrate.

Just kidding folks...

Badges, we don't ned no stinkin badges....

CRCowboy

imported post

ColoradoFlyer wrote:
The CR contingency is growing here in Douglas County. All my expereince's have been positive. Was at Home Depot last week getting some O-Ring gaskets and one of the guys was helping be, he looked at my gun like 3-4 times,but I never asked if he was interested in guns...
Same here

Been to Home Depot and Lowe's several times. No issues, I went as far as to ask for help from a couple employees on stuff I didn't REALLY need help on, just to see..... no reaction either way.------- I LIKE THAT------------- I carry pretty small and decreat (Glock 30) tucked in tight. I think that helps.

[/quote]So far, I haven't had anyone "bat an eye" and I have been all over town. I guess centsi had an issue at 1st bank, but as one of the others said, I think he just ran into a cranky employee. I've OC'd since with no problem

Have you had any LE contact yet? I haven't so much as walked by any LEO yet --- Opportunity just hasn't presented it's selfbut sooner or later it will. :what:Truthfully I don't expect it to be an issue. They are a pretty good bunch and they know we're around.

Mind if I ask what you Carry?

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FYI, I did have an issue OCing at the CR Home Depot about a year ago.

An employee asked if I was a cop, I said I wasn't and he said that I had to cover it up. I didn't argue, left the store when I was finished shopping and called the manager. He was very apologetic and told me that he would speak to the employee and send something out to all employees letting them know that OC is legal and that Home Depot does not have any policy beyond state law.

Since then it's been smoothing sailing :)

CRCowboy

imported post

centsi wrote:
FYI, I did have an issue OCing at the CR Home Depot about a year ago.

An employee asked if I was a cop, I said I wasn't and he said that I had to cover it up. I didn't argue, left the store when I was finished shopping and called the manager. He was very apologetic and told me that he would speak to the employee and send something out to all employees letting them know that OC is legal and that Home Depot does not have any policy beyond state law.

Since then it's been smoothing sailing :)

The way I see it ----- That wasn't an issue, it was a small victory. The employee was told to knock it off and the managersent a statement to the rest of the folks that worked there.

Anytime a business allows OC, they are extending us a privilege. The privilege to exercise our 2A right on their property. They could just as easy put up the dreaded.

No OC or guns sign.

I thank you for clearing the way for me though!

ooghost1oo

imported post

SDguy wrote:
groats wrote:

Yup, and my local post office has a no firearms sign clearly posted at the front.

Clears the way and makes it easier for people 'going postal'.

Hey, weren't you concealing when you had a ... um ... 'cloak' around you while getting your hair cut? ;)

CRCowboy

imported post

ooghost1oo wrote:
Hey, weren't you concealing when you had a ... um ... 'cloak' around you while getting your hair cut? ;)
LOL.................... Guess I better get that CCW!!!! Can you see the DA making THAT argument in court!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

Had a fantastic encounter with CSP yesterday up at County Line at the car wash next to BK's. I was one of the first cars in their for an 8am wash, knowing that DC Sheriff and CSP frequent the place. CSP officer in his unmarked black Tahoe pulled in behind me, I know he saw the holster but proceeded to retrieved my two dogs from the back of the my SUV and went in to pay. Was standing watching the TV with the dogs laying on the floor, he came up behind me and asked me what I was wearing... SIG Pro with a .357 sig barrell with 12 roundssir... Nice was his response, along with well behaved dogs... Has been on the force 16 years, we had a nice conversation, he asked why I carried theSIG, and told him all about the decocker lever so that I can carry one in the chamber knowing that the first round is double action requiring more of a pull, did not like carrying mymodified Glock 17 9mm with 3.5 lbtrigger with one in the chamber, He understood and I went on about my day.. I told him to be safe out there... All in all it was a great day,but Sunday was even better... Now we have to plan for more snow... Yikes......

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CRCowboy wrote
The way I see it ----- That wasn't an issue, it was a small victory. The employee was told to knock it off and the managersent a statement to the rest of the folks that worked there.

Anytime a business allows OC, they are extending us a privilege. The privilege to exercise our 2A right on their property. They could just as easy put up the dreaded.

No OC or guns sign.

I thank you for clearing the way for me though!
I agree. Each time we have a positive outcome like this it helps our cause. I'm happy to be a part of it.