• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

these are boring days gentlemen

Broondog

imported post

i don't know about y'all but in my area i'm getting nary a glance while OC'ing. nobody shields their children, runs away screaming in terror or calls the cops.

don't get me wrong....i'm not complaining but it seems that all of the PR that OC has gotten recently may have calmed the sheep down a bit towards the idea. this in itself could help with next years bid for full preemption.

is anybody else getting the same vibe?

MK

imported post

I've been OC'ing everytime I go into Jefferson City and have yet to have one negative encounter or any LE encounter in the past couple of months I've been doing it.

I spend time in Columbia too but haven't been there inawhile. I think the only place I've visited while OC'ing is Outdoor World and a couple of gas stations. My wife and I may be going downtown this weekend though and I plan on open carrying while we are out. I am kind of worried about it. The Columbia Policecan bepretty hard core and ruthless nowadays and I ama little worried about exercising my 2A rights downtown there.

Big Boy

imported post

go for it! Just remember your laws, and stay off university property.

HYRYSC

imported post

I went into Race Brothers about 3 weeks ago to pick up a new tire for my ZTR. I was waiting at the counter for someone to assist when I noticed a police officer had come up and was waiting also to buy something.

I am a lefty and my right side was to him, so he was unable to see my firearm clearly, but as we were waiting, someone needed to push a cart by me, so I moved out of the way and "exposed" my left side to the view of the officer.

I watched him out of the corner of my eye as I noticed him looking at me. I saw him step back, and circle back around me (which made me a bit uncomfortable) but I could see his reflection in a piece of glass behind the counter. I noticed that he was checking my firearm out for a bit, but then he moved back to his spot in line and never said a word to me. I was kind of expecting to see him outside waiting for me, but when I exited the store, it was all clear and I went on my merry way.

I OC everywhere I go (except to church where I conceal as the minister has asked me to) and hardly ever get so much as a look.

There was one incident that at first I thought I was going to have a big issue, but it turned out pretty positively.

Last week my two young sons and I went to McDonalds as my wife was out of town and so I was responsible to feed them. Of course I was OCing and was sitting at a booth with my right side out (no visible firearm to the outside) and a lady came up to me and asked me if I was a police officer. My first thought was, uh oh, here we go. I replied that I was not and before I got the chance to ask her why the question, she said, I just saw that you had a gun and was wanting to ask you about it.

Turns out she was from Ohio (my old stomping grounds) and had just received her CCW and was curious as to why I was carrying openly and if I had a special permit for that etc. During that conversation I received several interesting looks as I explained to her that I always carried, mostly openly and was very pleased to hear that she had received her CCW.

She said, for sometime she was against guns, but with all of the stuff that was going on, she had determined that it was just a tool like anything else, and if someone could use it for bad, she could use it for good.

Big Boy

imported post

I definitely think we are having an effect and more and more people are learning what OC is. Just look at the news coverage, the internet discussions, everything.

I think OC has done more to bring up the conversation of guns than anything has in a long time.

A lot of gun supporters on forums are still against OC, and say it's gonna make fence sitters go towards the anti's. That just makes no sense. OC is putting a voice out there for responsible gun owners, without us, the gun movement is pretty much silent.

HYRYSC

imported post

I agree 100%. Many people that are either anti gun or just haven't made up their mind yet seem surprised at the fact that normal law-abiding citizens carry weapons without going on murderous rampages caused by the inanimate object strapped to their side.

When I was at wal-mart during the first week of my "open carry enlightenment", my family and I had just gotten out of church and stopped by walmart to pick up a few things. I was open carrying while I was there, and the cashier was looking me up and down as we were checking out when she asked me what I did. I replied, I am a project manager for a telecommunications company. She said, Oh. I asked her why she asked and she said that it was just that she was wondering why I was carrying a gun while I shopped and that most people didn't do that. I said, well, maybe more people should.