NOTE: This is not a general discussion web site - even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry,firearms and gun rights. Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focussed. If you think the post is questionable, please don't post it. Thanks!
Welcome to OpenCarry.org'sdiscussion forum, and integral part of our Internet Community dedicated to helping people understand the shifting landscape of open carry laws in the US, and providing a networking base for the open carry movement which has become a major force now in the gun rights revolution. All are welcome but we do have a few rules.
It is extremely important that posters follow this format as google and other outfits crawl through our postings and determine whether these threads get visibility on the Internet.
2) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life - all posts should relate substantially tothis agenda, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty. OCDO is not a general discussion forum on politics, religion, the current President, etc. Take that somewhere else!
3) Keep the profanity to a minimum - and then, after you find yourselves using it, go back after you have reflected and edit it out, especially those F-Bombs! Though this area of the web site is a bit of free speech area, the threads necessarily reflect upon the open carry movement as the press and general public do read our postings. Please go back and search your posts and edit out those F-bombs, thanks!
4) Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances!
5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).
6) We reserve the right to remove posting for any reason, at our sole discretion.
7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
8) General: No shouting in All Capital Letters. Use "substantially proper" capitalization, punctuation, and grammar as best you can. Use of abbreviations and acronyms should be minimized and always defined.
9) No stalking of other users. This includes creating accounts with similar names, avatars and personal information in an attempt to confuse others as to the views of the original poster.
10) YOU OWN YOUR WORDS ONCE THEY ARE POSTED! Whilewe will attempt to help those who have a legitimate need to remove postings they have made in haste or error, my time and ability to do so is not unlimited and there is no guarantee that such a request will be granted. Therefore, post only those comments that you have considered and are willing to take full responsibility for!
11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.
The law is always in a state of flux and even lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All advice posted on this board should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an attorney, law enforcement official or expert in a given field, there is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified!
Since there are many newbies I suggest that you all read the rules and help to keep OCDO a great forum. One of the unique things that happens at OCDO is that we cite information and not rely on a "friend" or "the guy at the gun counter" for our information. Google the law, use newspaper artices and reports, the FBI statistics!