• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attorney's view

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
Both state and federal constitutions protect the separate rights to keep (possess)and bear (carry) arms.We agree on this first point.
Neither source specifically protects a right tobear open, or tobear concealed.Therefore they are both pre-existing and both protected.
A natural argument could be made that a government entity that allows one form of carry but not the other is in accord with the constitutional guarantees. Absolutely incorrect, as the arms are not specified long gun or hand gun they include the natural guarantee of both. The government does not guarantee rights, they can only infringe upon them.
In other words, we cannot say with legal certainty that we have aright toOPEN carry. Only an attorney would come to this false conclusion. A natural pre-existing right from the Supreme Ruler of the Universe does not require legal permission.
Pragmatically, I don't think pushing the open carry envelope achieves anything positive.Ask Arizonans who had 'Chris' open carry a pistol and AR to an Obama healthcare event last August and now have Constitutional Carry, both Open and Concealed. Didn't have a negative effect now did it?
I don't think one's ability to defend self or others is significantly enhanced by open versus concealed carry. Although it is far easier to carry a larger caliber, eliminate unecesary clothing in the heat, draw faster and overcome physical handicaps that some people have.
Perhaps even the opposite: an observant armed bad guy will seek to neutralize known threats. This has never happend, never, this is a poor argument.
If you carry open, you are a known threat to the criminal. And they will leave, how many criminals commit crimes when cops are around?
Concealed carry has the obvious added benefit of not inflaming anti-gunners. Political correctness run amok. Only irrational anti gunners are inflamed, most are just curious.
And stop pretending you can change the minds of anti-gunners by openly carrying guns! No one has ever said that Bob, stop projecting.
Whether the opinion is justified or not, people with strongly held beliefs and opinions very rarely change their minds. We end in agreement again.

To summarize, no clear right to open carry, and no productive reason to do so. Proven incorrect.
Bob, when you first came on this web site I supported your efforts. After watching your methods I am much more tepid in that support. Many here do not support your engagement of this issue. I am still optomistic. With that being said, quickly my background. My college degree is related to Revolutionary and Constitutional Law History and Politics. While I am just a hack, there is ample evidence in primary documents supporting open and/or concealed carry without infringement.

Bob Warden

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Bob, I disagree with your assessment in a couple ways. Even in the Heller decision, it was indicated that concealed carry is something not constitutionally protected, as it is subject to restrictions and regulations. Additionally, as I pointed out in my post on the topic, "the constitutions of Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, and North Carolina all explicitly call out that the right to keep and bear arms does not protect the right to carry concealed weapons." That's 20% of the states, all which protect the right to keep and bear arms, but call out concealed carry as subject to state regulation. I agree that providing for either form would meet the definition of "keep and bear arms", however, I contend that the current state of jurisprudence widely recognizes the right as protecting the open carry of firearms, not the right to concealed carry.

Considering that states banning open carry require permission slips to concealed carry, I would say that, at present, no state that bans open carry supports the right to keep and bear arms. For you to follow your "natural argument", you'd need to show how the right to keep and bear arms is acknowledged within the status quo by states requiring paying fees in order to exercise said rights.

As for your pragmatic pessimism, I would argue that the crime you never have to fight back against defends you better than the one you must fight against. Your claim that an observant armed bad guy will neutralize known armed citizens that present a threat - do you have any evidence of that happening?

Additionally, as I showed earlier (with a link to the referenced research paper), "inflaming the anti-gunners" is the only way to desensitize them to emotional fear. You're right that people with strongly held opinions rarely change their minds, but when it happens, it's generally due to exposure to the very thing they hate and fear. By always hiding the fact you're a gun owner, you set yourself up to be portrayed as an "other" in legislative pushes. By being visible and positive within your community, it's much harder for such ridiculous rhetoric to ring true. If anything, I'd say you can never change the mind of anti-gunners by concealed carrying and arguing with logic, as their appeals are from emotion, and until that wall is torn down, they will be unable to separate the issue of their mental picture of the stereotypical gun owner and the reality of who we are as people.

To summarize my point: a more cogent argument could be made for the right to open carry over concealed carry, and there is research which suggests the practice to be productive, as well.
I appreciate your well-reasoned thoughts on this. I don't think we disagree on much! Thanks for not being insulting like too manyin this forum.

Tawnos

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
Bob, I disagree with your assessment in a couple ways. Even in the Heller decision, it was indicated that concealed carry is something not constitutionally protected, as it is subject to restrictions and regulations. Additionally, as I pointed out in my post on the topic, "the constitutions of Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, and North Carolina all explicitly call out that the right to keep and bear arms does not protect the right to carry concealed weapons." That's 20% of the states, all which protect the right to keep and bear arms, but call out concealed carry as subject to state regulation. I agree that providing for either form would meet the definition of "keep and bear arms", however, I contend that the current state of jurisprudence widely recognizes the right as protecting the open carry of firearms, not the right to concealed carry.

Considering that states banning open carry require permission slips to concealed carry, I would say that, at present, no state that bans open carry supports the right to keep and bear arms. For you to follow your "natural argument", you'd need to show how the right to keep and bear arms is acknowledged within the status quo by states requiring paying fees in order to exercise said rights.

As for your pragmatic pessimism, I would argue that the crime you never have to fight back against defends you better than the one you must fight against. Your claim that an observant armed bad guy will neutralize known armed citizens that present a threat - do you have any evidence of that happening?

Additionally, as I showed earlier (with a link to the referenced research paper), "inflaming the anti-gunners" is the only way to desensitize them to emotional fear. You're right that people with strongly held opinions rarely change their minds, but when it happens, it's generally due to exposure to the very thing they hate and fear. By always hiding the fact you're a gun owner, you set yourself up to be portrayed as an "other" in legislative pushes. By being visible and positive within your community, it's much harder for such ridiculous rhetoric to ring true. If anything, I'd say you can never change the mind of anti-gunners by concealed carrying and arguing with logic, as their appeals are from emotion, and until that wall is torn down, they will be unable to separate the issue of their mental picture of the stereotypical gun owner and the reality of who we are as people.

To summarize my point: a more cogent argument could be made for the right to open carry over concealed carry, and there is research which suggests the practice to be productive, as well.
I appreciate your well-reasoned thoughts on this. I don't think we disagree on much! Thanks for not being insulting like too manyin this forum.
Odd, I took almost the exact opposite stance to your post. I said the right to open carry is the one that is generally regarded as constitutionally protected, that open carry is better for self defense, and that it is a means to change hearts and minds. What part of that do you agree with (that is, what part of your initial post are you changing your opinion about?)

Bob Warden

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
Tawnos wrote:

Odd, I took almost the exact opposite stance to your post. I said the right to open carry is the one that is generally regarded as constitutionally protected, that open carry is better for self defense, and that it is a means to change hearts and minds. What part of that do you agree with (that is, what part of your initial post are you changing your opinion about?)
My point was that both constitutions protect some form of carry; we agree. Open carry does provide easier access, but it also telegraphs the fact that one is carrying, so I see your point without conceding mine. As for changing hearts and minds, I think you're overly optimisitc, and I disagree. Hope that clears it up. and thanks again for staying on topic!

Sparky508

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
As for changing hearts and minds, I think you're overly optimisitc, and I disagree. Hope that clears it up. and thanks again for staying on topic!

I have to say that I have probably "touched" more people in a positive way OCing than negatively. At least it has felt that way after the encounters were over.

Even the million mom march of madness gal and I, had a very nice conversation, while I was OCing at the Starbucks gig. While I didn't changer her mind by any stretch, I did accomplish the major goal of which a lot of us strive for. To show the normalcy of people that do carry vs the perceived notion that we're all nut-jobs from another planet.

Whether it was to her or someone neutrally near by, someone somewhere saw it.

(Can one of the mods add OCing to the dictionary on this damn thing:banghead:)