Thread: Where do you place your IWB Holster?

Post imported post

Where on your belt (or pant line) do you place your IWB holster? Imagine your waist as a clock, with 12:00 being directly above your zipper. Where do you feel is the most comfortable spot for your IWB Holster while walking, driving, sitting, etc.

Post imported post

I carry my XD(m) at 1 o'clock, i.e., AIWB (appendix-IWB). I didn't like it when I was using a soft holster, but since I got my Kydex ArchAngel holster from Dale Fricke, that's the way I carry, and it's been very comfortable, plus, much easier to holster and unholster getting in and out of my vehicle. Plus, I don't have to worry about being made when I bend down at the store to look at something on the bottom shelf.

I used to carry at about 4 o'clock in a soft, Uncle Mike's IWB holster, and I still carry that way when I have to wear a dress shirt and suit coat. That was also very comfortable, but not as convenient.

Drawing the weapon is a lot faster with the AIWB than the 4 o'clock carry.

Post imported post

Different places work better for different people, start at 1 and work your way around until the end of the day and see what works for YOU.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Usually I carry my IWB between 3:00 and 3:30--the same position I carry my OWB Serpa...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Usually I carry my IWB between 3:00 and 3:30--the same position I carry my OWB Serpa...
    +1

Post imported post

I carry at about 3:00 sometimes at 3:15 all depends on what I am weiring.

I have an Uncle Mikes soft holster on a smaller regular belt that I use as my gun bet. I wrap my gun belt around me than put my pants on. Then I use a little larger belt to keep my britches up and put my flash light, multi-tool, and knife on. All the extra on the outside of the waste band hides any thing inside the waste band.

If I want to OC I just put my gun belt on the outside. Works good fo rme.
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Post imported post

I carry about 4 o'clock because I don't want if rubbing my hip. It's pretty much where I also OC so my style of draw is consistent. I don't carry anywhere in the 9-3 area because I can't sit or bend with the gun in front of me. Try it out and see what works for your body style.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

Post imported post

I also carry in the 3-4 o'clock range depending on pants, activity and seating conditions.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Like another poster said, if I put it at 3:00, it digs in to my hip. If I put it between 12:00 and 2:00, I can't comfortably bend over. If I put it between 5:00 and 9:00, then it's uncomfortable to sit down, and anywhere between 9:00 and 12:00 is awkward, because I'm not a lefty.

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    Like another poster said, if I put it at 3:00, it digs in to my hip. If I put it between 12:00 and 2:00, I can't comfortably bend over. If I put it between 5:00 and 9:00, then it's uncomfortable to sit down, and anywhere between 9:00 and 12:00 is awkward, because I'm not a lefty.
    Try 3:30-4:00 which you didn't mention! :celebrate

Post imported post

On the rare occasions when I CC, and not in a tool belt pouch while working (usually when visiting anti gun family members or while in Detroit) I carry IWB cross draw. I do this because that way I won't accidentally allow my pistol to be seen while reaching for my wallet, and it also enables me to hold my cover garment down with my weak side arm while shaking hands, walking in the wind, or perhaps giving a one armed hug to affectionate anti gun relatives.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

My rig rides at 8-9 o'clock. Always comfy and my new G27 rides like a dream compared to the G22 I was carrying.

MT

Post imported post

I carry a full size XD-45 Tactical in IWB at 6 o'clock

for the most part it sits in the small of my back and doesn't bother me... sure it feels like I'm sitting on a steel tube... but that's sort of the case isn't it?

It is still my favorite carry holster because even the full size pistol is concealable under a t-shirt for CC.

I doubt I would wear that holster for OC... since it is almost self-concealing

Post imported post

I'm slender and IWB is too uncomfortable for all day carry, for me. The times I have carried is at 6 o'clock as there is some space in the center of my spine.

Post imported post

I'm 5'10" - 165lbs and have no trouble with the IBW at 6 o'clock... I guess it just depends on how you sit / stand / walk as to what is more comfortable.

Post imported post

My IWBgoes at about the SOB position. Not exactly SOB, but slightly off to the right, i guess you can say 530ish. I carry either a full size Sigma .40 or a full sizeXD9. Just a note, I only use the IWB if I MUST conceal completely, which isnt really all that often so I dont really have a nice holster for IWB, I use an uncle mikes soft holster and I have another one that looks the same made be blackhawk.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

I carry my ppk/s iwb at 3:30. It just feels good there. I carry my 1911 owb at 3:00-3:30.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Campaign Veteran Lurkus Maximus's Avatar

Post imported post

Right here...

-----------------------------
    "Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect." Lazarus Long

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Ditto this. I CC or OC at the same position. Between 3 and 3:00.

Post imported post

Just prior to buying my first IWB holster I was talking to a guy that had a table at the WAC show about 5 1/2 years ago. He was telling me how comfy it was with a full sized 1911 45. I was a bit skeptical so he gave me a demonstration in 2 parts. One being the 110% absolute conceal ability and ease of drawing it. When he pulled out his Colt 1911 I was amazed. I bought one on the spot. It was $55 back then. Like the sales guy I carry in the 12 oclock position.

When I dress I slip the holster over my shirt. I wear it in a kind of hip hugger low fashion. The rig has 3 pockets. Main pocket is for the gun. I carry 2 extra mags in one of the smaller pockets and don't use the 3rd pocket. It is fairly comfy for me to carry my 380 all day. The rig itself is made from blue jeans type material with velcro on the backside.