• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another gun store closes in Eastern Carolina...

Dreamer

imported post

On my way home from school today I stopped in Awesome Outdoors, a VERY nice gun/fishing store here in Washington. Their selection of long guns and pistols has been a source of great lust for me since I moved here, and their staff has always been VERY helpful and friendly. I've bought a fair amount of stuff with them in the last year--holsters, ammo, a shotgun, cleaning supplies, but hadn't yet purchased a pistol from them. They have a fair amount of high-quality used handguns in their cases, but I just hadn't seen that "gotta gave" piece yet...

Well, today as I wheeled into the parking lot, I was greeted by huge signs everywhere saying that they are having a "going out of business sale". I just don't get this. They do great business--always have folks shopping and BUYING stuff--they can't seem to keep firearms on the shelf for more than a week or two most of the time.

The story I got from two different employees is that the owner IS making money--in fact, his business is doing SO good that it's pulling him away from his family and it's threatening his marriage, so he's gong to shut the business down.

Sounds fishy to me. Why not just sell it? Why not just become a "back office owner" and hire a really good "general manager" to run the operation for him? It just doesn't make sense.

About 8 people are going to lose their jobs. This area is going to lose a FANTASTIC outdoor sporting goods store. And Beaufort County is going to lose what must be a fairly decent revenue source for taxes--sale, income, corporate.

It just doesn't make sense...

This is the second large gun shop in this area to shut their doors in the last few months. In Februrary, Big Horning Outfitters closed their doors. They had a bad location, focused more on archery, and had to compete with half a dozen large pawn shops and nearly as many other gun stores in the Greenville area, so I sort of understand them going under.

But AO was doing gangbusters business, by all accounts--including those of the employees.

So has anyone else in NC seen established, well-stocked and staffed gun stores closing their doors in other parts of the state? I wondering if this may be part of some sort of larger trend...

TheFreeman

imported post

Hmmmm... that is odd. Guns are a very hot item, and we all know why. If not guns, then ammo and accessories. I wonder if there is political motivation from further up that is causing pressure on smaller gun shop owners. Maybe increases in red tape or taxes?

I haven't noticed anything here closing, however, I don't visit very often. If I did, I've have too many new guns... :D

Dreamer

imported post

haven't heard for sure, but I don't think so. I think it's just this shop, because it was so big.

Where are his other businesses?

chiefjason

imported post

A while back one of the bigger stores had a month long going out of business sale. Then one of the senior employees bought the business and kept it open. Seems that he could not afford to buy it all at once so the owner moved enough inventory so he could step in a buy it. Might happen there. You never know.

Most of the political wrangling over gun stores is happening in the typical anti areas. I've seen some reports on other sites. I would not think it would be an issue in NC yet though.

Dreamer

imported post

Yeah, NC in general, and this area in particular is pretty pro-2A. The only place around here that seems to be anti-2A is the city of Greenville, as their crime rate shows. The sheeple are pretty much unarmed, and the goblins are running rampant. Pitt County is full of sheeple and victims...

Over here in Beaufort County, dialing 911 tends to be the SECOND thing folks do when criminals and thugs come to call... ;)

ScubaSteveU5

imported post

Not everyone in Greenville is unarmed! The big issue here is that it's a college town, and a lot of the students live on campus, where they can't have firearms, or live off campus, but can't afford to buy their own (a cop-out argument, I know). A lot of what I've seen amongst my friends, even the pro-2A ones, is that they haven't really matured enough to take their personal safety into their own hands. A lot of you older guys with wives and kids feel the need to protect them, and would do anything for them- college kids don't have those kinds of feelings yet. It's a shame, too, because it makes them easy targets for the less savory element that hangs out downtown.

Anyway, I'll have to stop by AO soon and see what they have still out. Shame they're closing.