• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Carolina State Senator and National Rifle Ass Member Jakie Knotts on H. 3585

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I appreciate your email and your input and I am happy to hear from those of you from across the state. I am especially happy to hear from those of you within my district as your input is especially important to me. However, having GrassRoots speak for you is not as impressive as one may think.

I appreciate those who speak for themselves and do not allow themselves to be fed misinformation. This bill was on the agenda for a meeting of my subcommittee three weeks ago. At that time we decided to carry it over knowing it was not going to pass.

GrassRoots is trying to create a rift between those of us who are members of the NRA and members of GrassRoots. They are providing the public with misinformation as a tactic to impress them.

This bill was stopped three weeks ago but now GrassRoots is spreading information to make it seems as though they are the ones stopping it so they can take the credit. Don't fall prey to GrassRoots.

Don't let them speak for you, speak for yourself and get accurate information from credible organizations.

Senator Jake Knotts
Senate District 23
Lexington County

==============================================================================
Friends,

I went down to the statehouse this morning to attend the Senate Subcommittee hearing on H. 3585, but the subcommittee hearing was postponed until 3pm. I was back at the statehouse for that meeting and H. 3585 was on the agenda, but the bill was carried over by the Chair (Sen. Knotts) which basically means Sen. Knotts can put this bill on the agenda of his subcommittee.

If H. 3585 died three weeks ago, why did the Chairman (Sen. Knotts) of the Senate Subcommittee where H. 3585 currently resides have this bill placed on the agenda for TODAY's meeting?

I do not believe GrassRoots leaders are trying to create a rift between NRA members and GrassRoots members. This would not make any sense! Many gun owners in South Carolina are undoubtedly members of both organizations.

However, I DO suspect that Sen. Knotts may be holding a grudge against GrassRoots for our principled stand against those politicians who blocked, then watered-down a good CWP recognition bill (H. 3212) in 2008, turning it into a mediocre CWP reciprocity bill.

PT111

imported post

Actually after following the legislative process in SC for the past few years I tend to agree with Sen. Knotts here. I would never send a letter to someone saying that any group speaks for me, that is exactly the type of thought process the "sheeple" use for their thinking with the brady bunch. I may say that I agree with a group such as GrassRootsSC on a certain bill but I do my own thinking and I do not agree with GrassRootsSC on all items. The encouragement by GRSC to just send an email saying that they speak for you is a power grab on their part to try and convince lawmakers of their power. However that is a good move on the part of GRSC for their benefit and sometimes that of gun owners.

I also agree with Sen. Knotts that whether or not it is real there sure seems to be a pissing contest going on between GRSC and the NRA over who gets to take credit for the passage of certain legislation and has resulted in less than desired results for the people of SC. There is a big rift between the two communities of NRA and GRSC followers and from the tone of Sen. Knotts's email he recognizes it and it is not helping the citizens of SC one bit. This war between the NRA and GRSC has hurt us very much on the reciprocity bill and the school campus bills.

This latestdeal isnothing more than another pissing contest.