• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus PT-145 Melenium Pro .45

Porter N

imported post

my friend has one I've shot before. i liked it. he says he's never had an issue with it. we put about 300 rounds through it that day, and it was flawless. while it's not the most expensive or widely known for durability, he takes extra good care of ALL his guns, and hasn't had any problems with his taurus'.

Porter N

imported post

no problem. as with any gun out there, you'll get lovers and haters. but when it all comes down to it, it's your opinion of the gun that matters. find a range that rents guns and try it out. read both for and against reviews.

GWbiker

imported post

halo6941 wrote:
Just wanted to get some toughts on what you guys think about this gun. good or bad.

I owned two Taurus handguns -- PT-745PRO and PT-709.
Both guns exhibited FTF issues due to crappy magazines, plus unacceptable accuracy because of poorly designed sights and rough machined barrels.

I sold both at a loss.

You CAN find a Taurus handgun that will prove trouble free, if you are willing to take a chance, OR you can spend a few hundred $$ more for a used in like new condition Sig P-245, a compact CZ or a Glock.

rscottie

imported post

After lots of reading about the PT145, I've decided to get one.

It feels good in my hand and all of the stories I've read about early problems, they were mainly with the first generation. The PT145 Pro is the third generation and the problems have supposedly been ironed out.

Just like with any semi-auto, it may require a break in period where you should be able to identify if it has any ammo sensitivities.

I like the lifetime warranty and I've had a Taurus Model 65 .357 revolver about 18 years that is built very well and is very accurate. I know that is apples/oranges but I'm just saying that my previous experience with the brand has been all good.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I (briefly) owned a PT145 Milpro about two years ago. It never fed - it ALWAYS FTF'd. It didn't matter what ammo (high quality or low, ball or jhp), or what mag (those that came with it or those we tried out in the shop). This was a brand new gun with what appeared to be a perfectly normal feed ramp on the bbl. The employees at the shop were a bit embarrassed to have sold such a POS; they attempted to contact Taurus CS. After about an hour on hold they finally got through to somebody who was not inclined to helpful and not inclined to be polite about it. After that they (the shop) just refunded me my money.
Since then I've had and traded the 9mm version, the PT111, and a PT1911. Both were fine. The PT111 was actually a very reliable, accurate, and easy to carry pistol. The PT1911 was excellent as $600 1911's go, but I hated the Taurus billboards on the slide and the internal lock in the hammer. I had a small issue with the PT1911, contacted Taurus CS, got the same indifferent-rude treatment...
Taurus can make good guns at a good price. I'll probably never own one again due to the internal locks, soft MIM parts, and poor customer service.

I definitely recommend against the PT145.

VAopencarry

imported post

They have a slightly higher ratio of problems(lifetime warranty) then most of the more expensive guns, Glock, XD, etc but I would recommend. They are a pretty solid gun and have defied the laws of physics getting 10 rounds in that small grip. :)

Eeyore

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
They have a slightly higher ratio of problems(lifetime warranty) then most of the more expensive guns, Glock, XD, etc but I would recommend. They are a pretty solid gun and have defied the laws of physics getting 10 rounds in that small grip. :)

Not quite. I did extensive research before I bought my PT111. Almost all the complaints about the MillPro line stem from the PT145. Since the smaller-caliber versions of the same design appear to be more reliable, my personal opinion is that they didn't quite succeed in consistently getting all 10 pounds into that 9 lb sack.

That said, I've been pretty happy with my PT111 considering the price. It did have to make a trip back to the factory for a broken spring, however.

1Grizzly1

imported post

I carry a 3rd generation PT-145 as my every day carry gun. It has been very reliable and I have had no issues with it. I love the 10 + 1 capacity and it is a very concealable weapon. That being said you must understand it is a VERY compact weapon and therefore not going to be very accurate at distances over about 30 feet.

GWbiker

imported post

There seems to be a love - hate relationship among gun owners with Taurus handguns.

My suggestion for anyone THINKING of purchasing a Taurus handgun, link onto the Taurusarmed forum site....

Wander around for a while and read about the "6 week Miami vacation" that MANY Taurus owners send their guns on, often at owners expense.

YES, you MIGHT get a good, reliable, accurate Taurus, then again.....?

Here's the link:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php

P.S. for a couple of hundred $$$ more, you can buy a Glock.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
As it is with all rules, there are exceptions. Someone out there will get a great product and never have a problem. And someone's will inevitably blow up in their face. While one company like Taurus or Hi-point may have a reputation for the blowing up, and Glock the great product, it can always flip on you in a blink of an eye. if you're a fan of taurus and/or Hi-Point and own a reliable one, all the more power to you. If you love the Glock, you're an idiot:celebrate - I mean... more power to you. Reliability debate aside, I'd personally take a Taurus over a Glock based solely on personal preference to the feel and grip angles and looks...

But I'll stick with my Sigs and Berettas.

(I'm kidding, Glock lovers. Don't kill me:cry:)

younggun20

imported post

I carried a 3rd gen PT-145 for abut 3 months. with 1 of the mags I had non stop FTF and FTE. The 2nd mag ran perfect without a hiccup. I have heard from others that the springs in the mag are cheap.

GWbiker

imported post

Thelukaskezik wrote:
GWbiker wrote:
As it is with all rules, there are exceptions. Someone out there will get a great product and never have a problem. And someone's will inevitably blow up in their face. While one company like Taurus or Hi-point may have a reputation for the blowing up, and Glock the great product, it can always flip on you in a blink of an eye. if you're a fan of taurus and/or Hi-Point and own a reliable one, all the more power to you. If you love the Glock, you're an idiot:celebrate - I mean... more power to you. Reliability debate aside, I'd personally take a Taurus over a Glock based solely on personal preference to the feel and grip angles and looks...

It's possible to drag out a few pictures of Glocks that went Ka-Boom, since Glock has manufactured hundreds of thousands handguns for close to 30 years. While Taurus has been in the plastic gun business for.....?

Anybody wanna' guess?

I personally saw a late model all metal Sig P-220 after it was destroyed by an overcharged reload. Perhaps the same issue occurred with your Glock pictured.

My personal experience over 50 years with Beretta, Sig, H&K, RIA, Colt, Star (Starfire), Steyr, CZ and Glock leads me to rely on established gun manufacturers.

A Taurus Mil Pro purchase is a gamble you **MIGHT** get a good one.

marrero jeff

imported post

you can do that to any gun with an overcharged load. sigs, H&ks, cz,glocks, etc... are all excellent weapons but if you try to break them (which is hat that picture is) they will break. Sure the H&K torture tests on the USP are legendary, and i carry one everyday but im sure i could break it if i really wanted to. with normal ammunition those guns will all last tens and tens of thousands of rounds. not so with a taurus.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
Thelukaskezik wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

I personally saw a late model all metal Sig P-220 after it was destroyed by an overcharged reload. Perhaps the same issue occurred with your Glock pictured.
Which is why I use factory loads in my sigs and berettas so they dont blow up and why I don't own a Taurus. while i've shot good Taurus, i just dont want one... and enjoy joking about Glocks purely for peoples reactions. I just searched "glock fail' in google images. that pic is one of half a dozen that showed up.

KansasMustang

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
im not a fan of taurus in general. for $100-200 more you could get a glock which is a much higher quality firearm.
Jeff, quantify higher quality? I've had my little Taurus PT140 for 3 years, probably pumped a thousand rounds through it and never had a failure, and it hits what I point it at. Can't ask for any higher quality than that. You pay that 100$ to 200$ more for the Glock stamped into the frame is all.
And you couldn't give me a Baretta. Uncle made me turn in my 1911 in 86 and handed me a piece of s#*t Baretta and from th git-go I couldn't hit the broadside of the barn if I was inside. Could count on the fingers of one hand the rounds I'd missed from ANY M1911 that I was issued. Nosir will not own one.

45acpForMe

imported post

I really like my PT145 Millenium Pro. I searched for a CC gun that could fit in my pocket that was .45acp, decent capacity, and accurate for SD ranges. The Taurus met those requirements. It is accurate out to at least 7 yards has 10+1 or .45acp-goodness and fits in my front pocket in a Don Hume pocket holster. It fits in Jeans and Khakie shorts.

Many people don't like the Taurus name and there have been lemons out there. My Taurus eats everything I feed it and have had rare FTF. Usually it is my cc-ed BUG but if I am CC-ing only it is usually the Taurus.

I had tried the Kahr mk40 for size and reliability but the low 5+1 round count of 40s&w left me wanting more. I figure if the Taurus gets stolen (when I have to leave it in the car) that I am out a whole lot less than my Sig.

For the price (usually around $350) it is hard to find a gun that meets all the criteria that I had. I have Sigs H&K and 1911's but all are larger and won't fit in my pocket. Even the Sig P220 Carry is too big for pocket carry. So I usually OC one of my larger guns and CC the PT145.