• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inherited Pistol Registration Question

Heabob

imported post

Hey all,
Noob Member here...

Great bunch of people, and lots of cool info, kudos, very nice site indeed.

Anyhow, I have an old M1911 Colt 45 ACP that's been collecting dust since
my dad passed away (15 years).
Dad said he got it from a friend of a friend and didn't wan't to register it for
fear the govt. would someday confiscate all our guns, (maybe, maybe not).

I've been afraid to try to register it because it says US Government Property,
and would be kept and melted down.
Or I will be fined for waiting too long to register.

But, I can't, (legally), sell it, carry it, shoot it, or transport it.
And it is rather useless as a boat anchor, cause it isn't heavy enough.

Might be worth $1000+ to a collector though...
Could use the cash for getting a 9mm for my future carry pistol.
Kinda like the CZ 75 P-01 & Sig P226, although kinda big for CC.

My current (legal) pistols are only 22cal.

Anybody have any experiences or info on this :question:

Oh, and what type of case is allowed to transport pistol to get registered ?
All I have are "soft cases", not lockable.

Just signed up for CPL class (for June maybe) to eventually get my CPL.
I'd hate to screw things up, having pistols without papers:banghead:

Thanks,

Paranoia

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
executor of estate fills out the purchase permit as seller,you are buyer.

Not quite that simple. Heabob is in possession ofan oldhandgun. The pistol belonged to his father who never had the pistol registered. The only way that I know of to get this cleared up is for Heabob to contact his local PD or Sheriff's Department and explain the situation.

Had the pistol been registered when the father possessed it it would be an easy fix--a death certificate and a signature would take care of it at his local PD or Sheriff's Department.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Of course heabob just found this pistol buried in some of his dads stuff, not knowing he was in posession of it, annd called the police immediately upon discovery.
Yeah, I think that's what he meant to say... :cool:

autosurgeon

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
Of course heabob just found this pistol buried in some of his dads stuff, not knowing he was in posession of it, annd called the police immediately upon discovery.
Yeah, I think that's what he meant to say... :cool:
That was my take too :uhoh:

And the are not likely to give him any trouble for attempting to comply with the law. If for some reason the serial number came back that it had been used in a crime then it could get sticky... other than that...

WARCHILD

imported post

I've been afraid to try to register it because it says US Government Property,

Just a thought....
Keep in mind, you may lose the gun when the serial number is run and no record of sale from the military is shown. It may be confiscated as a stolen gun and returned to the military for disposal.

JMO

WARCHILD

imported post

As a similar issue; an old neighbor of mine passed away and his son found an old M1 Garrand in the closet. Same stamping..Govt property..
Upon going through his dad's files, he found the sales receipt from Springfield armory where his dad had bought it. We all know used military firearms are sold and this is why you want to keep the paperwork.

JMO

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
As a similar issue; an old neighbor of mine passed away and his son found an old M1 Garrand in the closet. Same stamping..Govt property..
Upon going through his dad's files, he found the sales receipt from Springfield armory where his dad had bought it. We all know used military firearms are sold and this is why you want to keep the paperwork.

JMO

moot point because he's going to

grease, PVC tube and a shovel

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

I attending a legislative update at Ultimate Protection Academy in Clinton Township last week. One of the topics was legislation pending/passed? (Will correct later) that allows legal protection for a period of 90 days to take in an inherited firearm for registration. No more relying on authorities to "do the right thing"!

Many here may also be interested in knowing that Ultimate Protection Academy also has a range facility (didn't get to check it out that night) and they are OC friendly. They are on the west side of Gratiot Avenue just south of 21 Mile Road.

Michigander

imported post

I'm not suggesting you go out and do this, but a sleazy under handed and immoral street solution would be to have an out of state license to carry holder come in, pretend it's theirs, and do a FFL transaction where your own pistol gets "sold" to you. :cool:

Another possibility would be to say that you bought it when you lived in a free state (if you ever did) and left it stashed with a friend, but only brought it back recently, and now need to go register it.

But of course I know you'll do the right thing and turn it in to be destroyed (pocketed by your local police) since the gun is contraband.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

That could go badly. The fewer people who are aware of this the better. I say keep it under the table. There are hundreds of thousands of people in dozens of countries who wish they had the opportunity that you have.

The gov doesnt know about this one. They dont know where to look, no one knows about it to hold it over your head, there is no reasonable suspicion, or probable cause to look, man you have it made. It would take knowing someone who knows someone, several years, and a reputation to be trusted with the local street thugs and gangbangers to get another gun off the books, take this one and run with it. Nobodys coming to your door in the middle of the night looking for this thing in the next 15 years either.

Michigander

imported post

By the way, if one way or another you ever register it, I highly suggest you not sell it, especially if you have kids or nieces and nephews. 1911's with a family history are something very special that you can hand down. Both my great grandpa and grandpa had 1911's and other guns issued to them in the world wars, and my grandpa got rid of all of them when my great grandpa died. It would have been incredibly special to my brother and I to carry their 1911's, and maybe go hunting with their 97 trench gun and Garand.

Sometimes it's best to put future generations ahead of your own current desires.:?

Michigander

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
That could go badly. The fewer people who are aware of this the better. I say keep it under the table. There are hundreds of thousands of people in dozens of countries who wish they had the opportunity that you have.

The gov doesnt know about this one. They dont know where to look, no one knows about it to hold it over your head, there is no reasonable suspicion, or probable cause to look, man you have it made. It would take knowing someone who knows someone, several years, and a reputation to be trusted with the local street thugs and gangbangers to get another gun off the books, take this one and run with it. Nobodys coming to your door in the middle of the night looking for this thing in the next 15 years either.
In your position as someone who has been convicted of a crime, advocating criminal actions openly is not something I'd suggest.

Another thing worth mentioning is that there is no provision I have ever heard of under Michigan law to unregister a gun that you personally destroy or have destroyed out of state. If there ever was a turn them all in ban, aside from the fact it would be time to over throw the government as specified by the Declaration of Independence, you could simply say you had your gun destroyed out of state. My CZ52 is an excellent example. It doesn't exist any more because the police in Arizona had it melted down by my request, but it is still registered to me, and the MSP refused to unregister it, telling me that if it ever ended up being used in a crime somewhere to simply explain I gave it over to the cops in AZ for destruction.