• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC or CC on Golf Course

billxdm

imported post

Well this question came up on another forum I frequent. And we have been going back and forth on it and I have googled it as well.

Can u CC and/or OC on a golf course in NC.

Here are a few points.

They charge a fee, but no "admission" fee. So I would say yes.
Some have a restaurant/bar. So I would say no in that area of establishment, but would say yes for the pro shop which is usually a separate entity.

But, some if not all courses have beer carts that travel around selling beer/liquor, so that would lean towards no since they are serving alcohol

So...... Your thoughts?

elixin77

imported post

I would ask the manager if the fee to use the course is an admission fee. If it's not, then I personally don't see anything against that, just make sure the manager gets that to you in writing. As for the clubhouse itself, that is off limits because they serve and consume alcohol there.

If the fee is an admission fee, then no dice.

Thats just my standpoint though.

muccione

imported post

I was a Chef at Rock Barn CC in Conover. Just so you know... ALL property of the Golf course is an extension of the club house, thats why you can drink while you play, Even IF you don't drink its being sold AND consumed on the course, think about the beer carts..

NCjones

imported post

Course fees are not "admission" any more than the cost to stay at a hotel overnight is "admission". The concept of admission is to keep guns out of clubs, theaters, etc. For instance you can go "tag along" with a golfer at a golf course but only the player has to pay. If it was admission, they would charge a non-player also.

You pay to play golf, not pay to be presenton the golf course.

But then you'd have to consider the ABC license as mentioned above. Obviously if you can drink on the course then beverages are sold and consumed there.

mekender

imported post

Since there is no clearly defined property as part of the liquor license for the premises, it would seriously surprise me if the course could be considered part of an "establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed". Especially since in a lot of cases, there is no clear line as to where the property begins and ends. Most courses have locations where your cross public roads and the like. By the prior mentioned thinking, driving your car across a cart path in the road would mean that you had crossed into a place where it was illegal to carry.

I would suspect that the clubhouse and attached buildings are the part where the liquor license is issued and allowed. And that the drink carts are considered extensions of that clubhouse. Since the course is considered private property, even thought it is open to the public, the property owner can choose to allow consumption on the course. In all likelihood, you could actually get busted for open container and even DUI for drinking and driving the golf cart around. Even in the golf course property itself and most certainly you could be busted for doing so while crossing public roads. I would also bet that you could be busted for drunk and disorderly if you were too intoxicated and causing a scene.

My guess is that you can probably carry so long as you don't cause a problem. Though I would recommend either pocket carry or carrying something in the pocket of your bag. I would imagine that open carry would greatly impact your swing in a negative manner. I know that I cant even play when I have keys in my pocket let alone a 2lb hunk of steel on my belt.

Chas222

imported post

Not being a lawyer but knowing how lawyers operate, I would have to say legal if following exemptions apply. If exemptions do not apply then it would be illegal! As most courses are considered clubs you pay a fee to gain admission to the course. Your are trespassing if you do not pay the admission fee and attempt to use the course. With most golf courses, if they offer a membership that cost a fee/dues then that is a place that specifies in its terms that you must pay that fee to gain admission to their club. Also to be fair I would have to say that all property that is owned by the course is represented on the address line of the liquor license. Therefore making it by definition an establishment and against the law to carry where alcohol is sold and consumed. Someone has already mentioned this ie; the beer cart girl we all love to see patrolling the course dispensing our favorite beverages. The course is relative to the term establishment and could be imposed by law as such.

However there are exemptions to the law;

[size=§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.][/size] [size=(a)[color="navy"] It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.[/color] Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.][/size]
[size=[color="green"](b)[/color] This section shall not apply to the following:][/size]
[size=(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;][/size]
[size=(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;][/size]
[size=(3)[b] A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and[/b]][/size]
[size=(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. ][size=(1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)][/size][/size]

Most courses have rules and regulations that will state specifically no firearms or dangerous weapons of any kind.

By the way any public road that divides a course is not owned by the course. You CAN and WILL be charged for DUI if you cross a road dividing a course and local leos believe you to be intoxicated while operating a golf cart. If they stop you and you fail a bac test you will catch a charge. You have to look at a cart path crossing a public road as an easement, not a separate entity belonging to the course.

Being an avid golfer, and OC supporter, I measure any risk of breaking the law with a simple matter of ethics and morals. If in doubt, don't! If unsure, ask! And if told no then show respect for the establishments wishes and spend your money elsewhere, but make sure to contact corporate or management to discuss any problems as to educate those that may not be aware!

Overall bad idea, but if the owner gives permission I say legal.
:uhoh: If you are taking a gun out on the golf course, you need a new home course! If you do take one on the course, then you would have to wear it. Leaving it in your bag or cart is simply opening the opportunity for something bad to happen. Hope this clears some of this debate up on both your forums!