• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on Neuse River Trip from Raleigh to Kinston?

Fortkevin2

imported post

A buddy and I are planning on doing a canoe trip starting this coming Sunday from Raleigh to Kinston, NC. We are planning on putting the canoe in near Falls of the Neuse by the dam and taking out in Kinston. Was wondering if I open carried a pistol if it would be legal on this trip? I am 21 and he is 20 if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

elixin77

imported post

bwhunter65 wrote:
check wildlife regs I know its illegal to have a loaded weapon on a NC boat ramp
But, if memory serves, it doesn't say anything about having a loaded gun on the water. Makes no sense, but hey, thats the world we live in.

bwhunter65

imported post

yeah check wild life reg i don't think there is anythingabout on water

I know it says no on boat ramp but if you have a canoe and depart from the shore line sounds like you may be legal not sure

Fortkevin2

imported post

Thanks for the responses so far guys! :) We will be departing from the canoe access in Raleigh. Won't strap up until we leave there.

Turkey

imported post

I've done it, Just not that far down the river. I would not do it without my gun.

On a side note, Good Luck. The river is low right now, and when you get tothe Neuse Low Lands (between Smithfield and Goldsboro) expect to do some walking with it. Lots and Lots of trees all the way across. We had planned to float from Smithfield to a ramp just before Goldsboro last year, but we ended up taking out about half way there on a guys property that my buddy knew. It took us a day and a half to get that far. But we were ina 14ft Jon boat, you should have better luck in a canoe. You will also have to take out at Milburnie Dam. It is near US Hwy64. I imagine it is about a 6 or 8ft drop right now.