• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's Support Dianosis With His Dothan Problem

AL Ranger

imported post

We all know about Dianosis' problem with Sheriff Hughes, even though we do not know the particulars. Therefore, I have placed the Sheriff Hughes video on YouTube for you to watch and comment upon. Please keep comments clean! We can also emailthe Sheriffvia the link below. Watch the video, leave your comments and then email him with your statements and concerns and place the video link in the email. If he gets enough email and links to a YouTube video, he may get the message in a hurry. I have reprinted the entire AGO 1984-205 on the descriptions section underneath the video. Just click the down arrows beneath the video to see the whole thing. I've also included the last statement taken from 'The State v Reid' ruling. Let's help and support our friend and brother in this.

Sheriff Hughes Email Link
http://www.houstoncounty.org/Email_Forms/Sheriffs_Department/EF_Sheriffs_Department.htm (clean and respectful)

Sheriff Hughes Interview Video (don't forget to leave your comments and keep them clean and respectful)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg16XOZD-9o

I have already emailed him, left a very proper and respectful letter and enclosed the video link. Here's to hoping that it will do some good. Go get 'em, Dianosis! We've got your back!

[/color]

eye95

imported post

On its website, the sheriff's office lists 1-334-677-4888 as its phone number.

I would suggest keeping any phone calls short and civil. Remember, we are the rational ones with the law on our side. Remember, our goal should be to educate the sheriff, not to harangue him.

Dianosis

imported post

Guysfrom what I read,Sheriff Hughes was not actually involved in the incident that was reported by Rickey Stokes News. Not that I agree with what he said.

If you look at the story posted by RSN, THEYnamethe 2 parties involved:

A person inside the restaurant had some concerns and called the Dothan Police Department. Several units responded.

It was determined that the individual was not a law enforcement officer, but did posses a valid Alabama "Pistol Permit". These permits require that the weapon must be concealed. Police contacted the sheriff of the county that the permit was issued from. Dothan officers were advised that this was apparently not the first time this individual had conducted himself in this manner. The sheriff of the county that issued his permitrequested that the permit be pulled and returned to the Sheriff's Office.

Just an observation......

Dianosis

imported post

eye95 wrote:
On its website, the sheriff's office lists 1-334-677-4888 as its phone number.

I would suggest keeping any phone calls short and civil. Remember, we are the rational ones with the law on our side. Remember, our goal should be to educate the sheriff, not to harangue him.
Ya lets not do anything to make anyone madthat mayhurt the victim of that story, down the road.....

Dianosis

imported post

Absolutley not, that department need to know the truth too, was just asking for people not to make bad situation worse, be kind, calm, and professional.

eye95

imported post

Education is the key. I just turned the Dothan PD onto the tri-fold and St John v. Alamogordo. I also referred them to Montgomery for their recent acquisition of wisdom. The captain to whom I spoke said he would be "reading all day" and will be contacting his city attorney's office.

eye95

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"Education is the key." LOL, obviously that approach didn't work with the founders and King George, did it?
Education was the key for me in Montgomery when the MPD went over the line. The problem is now fixed for me an others who OC in Montgomery. Of course, I could have sued and gotten all confrontational, but education solved the problem within weeks.

Oh, and BTW, the Founders tried education first. Let's follow their wisdom. There is no need to go from 0 to confrontation in 6 seconds.

imported post

Uh, the founders spent YEARS beating their proverbial heads against the wall.

Here's a clue: you can drag some of these petty tyrants into court, kicking and screaming, come out with some $$$$ in YOUR pocket AND, AND, AND give them an education they'll long remember, especially if you can sue them in their personal capacity.
Yes, you ARE welcome.

eye95

imported post

Here's a clue: you can drag some of these petty tyrants into court, kicking and screaming, come out with some $$$$ in YOUR pocket AND, AND, AND give them an education they'll long remember, especially if you can sue them in their personal capacity.
Yes, you ARE welcome.
Please do not assume that I would thank you for that advice. I would not.

Moving on.

Monkeytown

imported post

eye95 wrote:

Yes, you ARE welcome.
Please do not assume that I would thank you for that advice. I would not.

Moving on.
Very nice my friend....very nice!!

Bamafirefighter22

imported post

This is a total outrage as I have been told by members of the same Sheriff's Office and DPD on several occasion's that it is in fact legal to open carry. I pose the question, how can the right hand say yes and the left had say no......? Seems to me that education of these specific laws by LEO's is of a very up most importance.

and again I refer my past with OC in Dothan :

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/40886.html

eye95

imported post

Bamafirefighter22 wrote:
This is a total outrage as I have been told by members of the same Sheriff's Office and DPD on several occasion's that it is in fact legal to open carry. I pose the question, how can the right hand say yes and the left had say no......? Seems to me that education of these specific laws by LEO's is of a very up most importance.

and again I refer my past with OC in Dothan :

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/40886.html
If we educate the officers on St John v. Alamogordo, that the officers themselves are at financial risk for seizing an OCer or his property just because he OCed, that limited qualified immunity does not protect them in this specific instance, then the officers (even if the department does not change policy) will be hesitant to make anything of OC.

If Diagnosis chooses another course of action, I will support him, but education has proven to be effective before. Even in Dothan, the mere mention that there is case law that says that their limited qualified immunity does not protect them causes them to pay attention and do some reading.