• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying into Chicago - would like to bring gun

hibby76

imported post

According to the map on this site, airport carry is prohibited. Am I violating any Chicago laws if I have my gun in my checked baggage (locked of course). We land, I leave it locked up in my luggage, and then I proceed to leave the state in a vehicle.

Any violation there? Anything that I need to know? Flying into ORD by the way.

Thanks!

TyGuy

imported post

I would think that the Federal firearms transport law would protect you here.

IANAL but it basically says that if you start and stop in locations where it's legal for you to have the firearm, and you keep it secured in between then you are good to go.

Anyone else?

junglebob

imported post

hibby76 wrote:
According to the map on this site, airport carry is prohibited. Am I violating any Chicago laws if I have my gun in my checked baggage (locked of course). We land, I leave it locked up in my luggage, and then I proceed to leave the state in a vehicle.

Any violation there? Anything that I need to know? Flying into ORD by the way.

Thanks!
You of course are checking it in with the TSA when you fly out. You should be fine people fly in and out of O'Hare all the time with firearms.

awnuts

imported post

You need to check air carriers policys on transporting a weapon. I have numerous times flown into and out of O'Hare with a gun. In general you need to have the gun empty and I leave it open in a locked case in my luggage. You cannot have any ammo with the weapon or in your bag. You need to declare at the check in counter you have a gun in a case locked. Heres a tip if theres a long line grab a Sky cap and tell him you need to declare a gun and everytime I get moved to the front or taken to another area for check in. Also O'Hare is real hinky about guns.The last time I had to show my weapon to 3 supervisors then follow the supervisor to the xray machine and visually verify the bag went through the conveyor. Now its just the opposite for me leaving NM to chicago. Here I just show it once and get going. As for traveling through the state you need the gun secured and in the farthest most rear of the car.Also empty and best broken down. When I'm in that state I dont open the case till I get to where I'm shooting or in my residence of the time. I have transported over a dozen times this way. My niece is an avid shooter and we enjoy shooting together.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

awnuts wrote:
You need to check air carriers policys on transporting a weapon. I have numerous times flown into and out of O'Hare with a gun. In general you need to have the gun empty and I leave it open in a locked case in my luggage. You cannot have any ammo with the weapon or in your bag. You need to declare at the check in counter you have a gun in a case locked. Heres a tip if theres a long line grab a Sky cap and tell him you need to declare a gun and everytime I get moved to the front or taken to another area for check in. Also O'Hare is real hinky about guns.The last time I had to show my weapon to 3 supervisors then follow the supervisor to the xray machine and visually verify the bag went through the conveyor. Now its just the opposite for me leaving NM to chicago. Here I just show it once and get going. As for traveling through the state you need the gun secured and in the farthest most rear of the car.Also empty and best broken down. When I'm in that state I dont open the case till I get to where I'm shooting or in my residence of the time. I have transported over a dozen times this way. My niece is an avid shooter and we enjoy shooting together.
Specific carriers may vary but TSA allows ammo as long as it is in a factory box or container. I was informed by TSA it can be in the loose magazines but they had to be wrapped so they were totally enclosed. It was was easier for me to just toss in a factory box of ammo than to wrap and tape the magazines.

As a non-resident ineligible to receive a FOID card you are afforded the same transport exemptions as an FOID card holder. You may transport the firearm unloaded in a case, ammo can be in the same case or in loaded magazines or speed-loaders but not attached to the gun. The case does not have to be placed out of reach. You may uncase and load in any locations where you have permission to do so by the owner of the property or in places considered your dwelling such as a hotel or motel room.

Some will argue the exemption in the unlawful use of a weapon statute requires you to have a FOID card. But as a non-resident you are exempt under the FOID act from needing one. Good equal protection claim if some jurisdiction decided to prosecute without regard to the FOID act exemption.

awnuts

imported post

Ok More background on me. I was born and raised northside of Chicago.I sold guns and range at Bells guns on Manhiem Rd. As for debating who is right or wrong or what laws are to carrying a gun in a car.In that state I will do everything I can to give any cop no reason to arrest me for transporting.I lived 43 years there under the law and never once was stopped for guns. That state is one of the most restrictive to our freedoms and another reason why I moved out west. You can interpet the laws anyway you want but I'm sticking to leaving my guns broken down and locked in cases in the trunk. As for traveling with ammo your right most carriers approve boxed and sealed but again I dont take chances there either.Due to the fact you get a pissed off TSA agent wanting to break the boredom of day and the idiot confiscates your ammo.That state is probably one of the worst and I lived thinking anytime I was going to get trouble for transporting or even owning a weapon. Thank god theres people finally rising up and coming out in defense. But I see a long and slow fight to be able to utilize the rights in that state. Myself I personally feel its one person and thats Daley.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I've flown in and out of ORD with my 1911 many, many times over the years. The weapon is unloaded and the loaded mags are in my leather mag holster that attaches to my belt, laying next to the weapon. I also carry 4 loaded spare mags in WW2 mag holders (heavy cloth with brass snap) in another case along with a box of ammo. Not once have I had any issue transporting a weapon in this manner.